Taiwan Hinoki Essential Oil (Chamaecyparis formosensis)
Taiwan Hinoki may also be referred to as Hong Kuai Essential Oil, Taiwan Cypress Essential Oil, Formosan Cypress Essential Oil. It is typically processed using steam distilled as a method for extracting oil from the twigs/wood.
Taiwan Hinoki Essential Oil is also referred to as Hong Kuai Essential Oil, Taiwan Cypress Essential Oil and Formosan Cypress Essential Oil.
- Aroma Description:
- Common Name(s): Hong Kuai Essential Oil, Taiwan Cypress Essential Oil, Formosan Cypress Essential Oil
Synonyms(s) for Chamaecyparis formosensis: Cupressus formosensis, Retinispora formosensis
- Botanical Family: Cupressaceae
- Botanical Genus: Chamaecyparis
- Major Compounds: Beta-eudesmol, Tau-muurolol, Elemol, Totarol, Alpha-cadinol
- Perfumery Note: Base
- Consistency: Medium
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Medium
- Color: Pale Yellow
- Processing Methods: Steam Distilled
- Part Typically Used: Twigs/Wood
Cautions & Safety
Cautions when using Taiwan Hinoki:
Taiwan Hinoki Essential Oil is not widely used within the scope of holistic aromatherapy, and limited safety data exists for it. It is not profiled within Essential Oil Safety by Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young.
Safety Precautions for Taiwan Hinoki:
Do not take any oils internally and do not apply undiluted essential oils, absolutes, CO2s or other concentrated essences onto the skin without advanced essential oil knowledge or consultation from a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. If you are pregnant, epileptic, have liver damage, have cancer, or have any other medical problem, use oils only under the proper guidance of a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. Use extreme caution when using oils with children and be sure to first read the recommended dilution ratios for children. Consult a qualified aromatherapy practitioner before using oils with children, the elderly, if you have medical issues or are taking medications. For in-depth information on oil safety issues, read Essential Oil Safety by Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young.
Taiwan Hinoki Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: Chemical Composition of the Essential Oils of Three Endemic Species of Anthemis Sect. Hiorthia (DC.) R.Fern. Growing Wild in Sicily and Chemotaxonomic Volatile Markers of the Genus Anthemis L.: An Update.
- PubMed: Essential oil characterization of two Azorean Cryptomeria japonica populations and their biological evaluations.
- PubMed: Chemical composition, antimicrobial, antioxidant and cytotoxic activity of essential oils of Plectranthus cylindraceus and Meriandra benghalensis from Yemen.
- PubMed: Composition and antipathogenic activities of the twig essential oil of Chamaecyparis formosensis from Taiwan.
- PubMed: Essential oil of Azorella cryptantha collected in two different locations from San Juan Province, Argentina: chemical variability and anti-insect and antimicrobial activities.
- PubMed: Biological activity of the essential oil of Kadsura longipedunculata (Schisandraceae) and its major components.
- PubMed: Antibacterial activities of essential oils and extracts of Turkish Achillea, Satureja and Thymus species against plant pathogenic bacteria.
- PubMed: [Research on liposoluble ingredients of Quchiling].
- PubMed: Flowerhead volatile oil composition of soilless culture-grown Chrysanthemum balsamita L.
- PubMed: [Comparison of composition of aetherolea and alcohol extraction from ChangBai Mountain purple common perilla].
- PubMed: Phytochemical analysis of the essential oil of Achillea millefolium L. from various European Countries.
- PubMed: Volatile oil from Guarea macrophylla ssp. tuberculata: seasonal variation and electroantennographic detection by Hypsipyla grandella.
- PubMed: Cadinane-type sesquiterpenes from the roots of Taiwania cryptomerioides Hayata.
- PubMed: The chemical composition of Microbiota decussata.
- PubMed: [New data on composition of esssential oil from inflorescence of everlasting (Helichrysum arenarium(L.) Moench.)].
- PubMed: Five new cadinane-type sesquiterpenes from the heartwood of Chamaecyparis obtusa var. formosana.
- PubMed: [Study on chemical constituents of Dendranthema morifolium by GC-MS].
- PubMed: Essential oil analysis of Eusteralis deccanensis Panigrahi (Lamiaceae).
- PubMed: SESQUITERPENOIDS MINOR CONSTITUENTS OF PINUS PARVIFLORA. ON THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN (-)-DELTA-CADINOL, (+)-DELTA-CADINOL, SESQUIGOYOL, TORREYOL, AND BROWN ALGA CADINOL.