Spike Lavender Essential Oil (Lavandula latifolia)
Spike Lavender may also be referred to as Lavandula Latifolia Cineolifera. It is typically processed using buds/flowering tops as a method for extracting oil from the flowers.
Spike Lavender Essential Oil is similar in usage to that of true Lavender Essential Oil (Lavender angustifolia/Lavender officianalis). Like other lavender oils, Spike Lavender Oil smells floral, fresh, sweet and herbaceous. However, it is much more camphorous in aroma. Aromatically, Spike Lavender Oil tends to blend well with the same families of essential oils that traditional Lavender Oil does including other floral, mint and coniferous oils. Rosemary Essential Oil, depending on the chemotype, also tends to have a large percentage of camphor. If you particularly like the aroma of Rosemary Oil, you should find the aroma of Spike Lavender Essential Oil appealing.
- Aroma Description:
- Common Name(s): Lavandula Latifolia Cineolifera
+ Expand- Collapse
Synonyms(s) for Lavandula latifolia: Lavandula cladophora, Lavandula decipiens, Lavandula erigens, Lavandula guinardii, Lavandula hybrida, Lavandula inclinans, Lavandula interrupta, Lavandula latifolia var. erigens, Lavandula latifolia var. tomentosa, Lavandula latifolia var. vulgaris, Lavandula major, Lavandula ovata, Lavandula spica, Lavandula spica var. latifolia, Lavandula spica var. ramosa, Lavandula spica var. vulgaris
- Botanical Family: Lamiaceae
- Botanical Genus: Lavandula
- Chemical Family: Ketones, Monoterpenols, Oxides
- Major Compounds: Linalool, 1,8-Cineole, Camphor, Borneol, B-Pinene
- Perfumery Note: Top/Middle
- Consistency: Thin
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Medium
- Color: Clear
- Indigenous Country: Spain
- Cultivation: Distiller is Certified Organic
- Processing Methods: Buds/Flowering Tops
- Part Typically Used: Flowers
- Shelf Life: 5 years
- Ethically and sustainably sourced
Benefits & Uses
May be benefitial for addressing the following ailments:
Therapeutic Benefits of Spike Lavender:
Analgesic Anti-anxiety Anti-bacterial Anti-depressant Anti-fungal Anti-inflammatory Anti-microbial Anti-oxidant Anti-spasmodic Anti-tussive Anti-viral Cicatrisant Decongestant Energizing Hypotensive Immuno-stimulant Insect Repellent Mucolytic Sedative Stimulant
Spike Lavender Blends:
Cautions & Safety
Cautions when using Spike Lavender:
Due to its camphor content of up to 25%, Spike Lavender Essential Oil should be used with care. Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young do not specify any contraindications for Spike Lavender Essential Oil, but state that it may be mildly neurotoxic. [Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young, Essential Oil Safety (Second Edition. United Kingdom: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier, 2014), 329.]
Safety Precautions for Spike Lavender:
Do not take any oils internally and do not apply undiluted essential oils, absolutes, CO2s or other concentrated essences onto the skin without advanced essential oil knowledge or consultation from a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. If you are pregnant, epileptic, have liver damage, have cancer, or have any other medical problem, use oils only under the proper guidance of a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. Use extreme caution when using oils with children and be sure to first read the recommended dilution ratios for children. Consult a qualified aromatherapy practitioner before using oils with children, the elderly, if you have medical issues or are taking medications. For in-depth information on oil safety issues, read Essential Oil Safety by Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young.
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities
Energetics and Chakras Qualites of Spike Lavender:
2nd Chakra - Relationships 3rd Chakra - Personal Power 4th Chakra - Unconditional Love 5th Chakra - Speaking Truth 7th Chakra - Higher Information Balancing Clarity Creation Energy Energizing Expansive Protective Purifying Uplifting
Spike Lavender Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: Deoxyxylulose 5-phosphate reductoisomerase is not a rate-determining enzyme for essential oil production in spike lavender.
- PubMed: Enhanced levels of S-linalool by metabolic engineering of the terpenoid pathway in spike lavender leaves.
- PubMed: Influence of spike lavender (Lavandula latifolia Med.) essential oil in the quality, stability and composition of soybean oil during microwave heating.
- PubMed: Expression of spearmint limonene synthase in transgenic spike lavender results in an altered monoterpene composition in developing leaves.
- PubMed: Comparative chemometric analyses of geographic origins and compositions of lavandin var. Grosso essential oils by mid infrared spectroscopy and gas chromatography.
- PubMed: Up-regulation of an N-terminal truncated 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl CoA reductase enhances production of essential oils and sterols in transgenic Lavandula latifolia.
- PubMed: Up-regulation of 1-deoxy-D-xylulose-5-phosphate synthase enhances production of essential oils in transgenic spike lavender.