Garlic Essential Oil (Allium sativum)
Garlic may also be referred to as Cultivated Garlic. It is typically processed in China using steam distilled as a method for extracting oil from the leaves and flowers/buds.
- Aroma Description: Astringent, Green, Medicinal, Pungent, Strong
- Common Name(s): Cultivated Garlic
+ Expand- Collapse
Synonyms(s) for Allium sativum: Allium longicuspis, Allium ophioscorodon, Allium pekinense, Allium sativum f. asiae-mediae, Allium sativum f. pekinense, Allium sativum f. sagittatum, Allium sativum f. vulgare, Allium sativum subsp. asiae-mediae, Allium sativum subsp. controversum, Allium sativum subsp. ophioscorodon, Allium sativum subsp. subrotundum, Allium sativum var. controversum, Allium sativum var. ophioscorodon, Allium sativum var. pekinense, Allium sativum var. subrotundum, Allium sativum var. vulgare, Allium scorodoprasum subsp. viviparum, Allium scorodoprasum var. multibulbillosum, Allium scorodoprasum var. viviparum, Porrum ophioscorodon, Porrum sativum
- Botanical Family: Amaryllidaceae
- Botanical Genus: Allium
- Chemical Family: Esters, Monoterpenes
- Perfumery Note: Middle/Base
- Countries of Production: China
- Indigenous Country: United States
- Cultivation: Organically Grown
- Processing Methods: Steam Distilled
- Part Typically Used: Leaves and Flowers/Buds
- Shelf Life: 4 years
- Ethically and sustainably sourced
Benefits & Uses
May be benefitial for addressing the following ailments:
Appetite Stimulation Arthritis Insect Repellents Insomnia Rheumatoid Arthritis
Therapeutic Benefits of Garlic:
Analgesic Anti-arthritic Anti-bacterial Anti-fungal Anti-infectious Anti-inflammatory Anti-microbial Anti-oxidant Anti-parasitic Anti-rheumatic Anti-spasmodic Astringent Cicatrisant Decongestant Deodorant Expectorant Immune support Immuno-stimulant Mucolytic Rubefacient Sedative Strengthening Vermifuge
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities
Energetics and Chakras Qualites of Garlic:
1st Chakra - Survival and Support 7th Chakra - Higher Information Clarity Energizing Grounding Purifying
Garlic Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: The Most Frequent Herbs Proposed by Iranian Traditional Medicine for Alopecia Areata.
- PubMed: Lauric acid and myristic acid from Allium sativum inhibit the growth of Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Ra: in silico analysis reveals possible binding to protein kinase B.
- PubMed: Diversity evaluation based on morphological, physiological and isozyme variation in genetic resources of garlic (Allium sativum L.) collected worldwide.
- PubMed: Response of garlic (Allium sativum L.) bolting and bulbing to temperature and photoperiod treatments.
- PubMed: Medicinal plants used to treat TB in Ghana.
- PubMed: Assessment of in vitro and in vivo anthelminthic potential of extracts of Allium sativum bulb against naturally occurring ovine gastrointestinal nematodiosis.
- PubMed: Storage temperature controls the timing of garlic bulb formation via shoot apical meristem termination.
- PubMed: Applications of thin-layer chromatography in extraction and characterisation of ajoene from garlic bulbs.
- PubMed: Influence of pH, concentration and light on stability of allicin in garlic (Allium sativum L.) aqueous extract as measured by UPLC.
- PubMed: Low-temperature conditioning of "seed" cloves enhances the expression of phenolic metabolism related genes and anthocyanin content in 'Coreano' garlic (Allium sativum) during plant development.
- PubMed: Effect of porphobilinogen on the formation of garlic green pigments.
- PubMed: Antioxidant effect of garlic (Allium sativum) and black seeds (Nigella sativa) in healthy postmenopausal women.
- PubMed: Recent Research Progress on Garlic ( dà suàn) as a Potential Anticarcinogenic Agent Against Major Digestive Cancers.
- PubMed: Insecticidal, antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of bulb extracts of Allium sativum.
- PubMed: Effects of onion (Allium cepa L.) and garlic (Allium sativum L.) essential oils on the Aspergillus versicolor growth and sterigmatocystin production.
- PubMed: The Antidiabetic Effect of Garlic Oil is Associated with Ameliorated Oxidative Stress but Not Ameliorated Level of Pro-inflammatory Cytokines in Skeletal Muscle of Streptozotocin-induced Diabetic Rats.
- PubMed: Comparative study on the effect of chemicals on Alternaria blight in Indian mustard--a multi-location study in India.
- PubMed: Draft genome sequence of Streptomyces sp. strain Wigar10, isolated from a surface-sterilized garlic bulb.
- PubMed: Effect of selenium treatment on mineral nutrition, bulb size, and antioxidant properties of garlic (Allium sativum L.).
- PubMed: The relaxant effect induced by Allium sativum L. bulb aqueous extract on rat isolated trachea.
- PubMed: In vitro antioxidant activity of aged extracts of some Italian Allium species.
- PubMed: Effect of Terminalia chebula and Allium sativum on in vivo methane emission by sheep.
- PubMed: Protective effect of Allium neapolitanum Cyr. versus Allium sativum L. on acute ethanol-induced oxidative stress in rat liver.
- PubMed: Extracts from the history and medical properties of garlic.
- PubMed: Direct, residual and direct + residual effects of sulphur in garlic (Allium sativum)-maize (Zea mays) cropping sequence.
- PubMed: A new peroxidase from garlic (Allium sativum) bulb: its use in H2O2 biosensing.
- PubMed: Unlocking variability: inherent variation and developmental traits of garlic plants originated from sexual reproduction.
- PubMed: Expression of garlic leaf lectin under the control of the phloem-specific promoter Asus1 from Arabidopsis thaliana protects tobacco plants against the tobacco aphid (Myzus nicotianae).
- PubMed: An ethnomedicinal survey and documentation of important medicinal folklore food phytonims of flora of Samahni valley, (Azad Kashmir) Pakistan.
- PubMed: Evaluating yield quality and quantity of garlic as affected by different farming systems and garlic clones.
- PubMed: Evaluation of antioxidative properties of Allium species growing wild in Italy.
- PubMed: Ectopically expressed leaf and bulb lectins from garlic (Allium sativum L.) protect transgenic tobacco plants against cotton leafworm (Spodoptera littoralis).
- PubMed: Effect of low storage temperature on some of the flavour precursors in garlic (Allium sativum).
- PubMed: Effects of oral administration of some herbal extracts on food consumption and blood glucose levels in normal and streptozotocin-treated diabetic rats.
- PubMed: A new thermostable peroxidase from garlic Allium sativum: purification, biochemical properties, immobilization, and use in H2O2 detection in milk.
- PubMed: [Ultracytochemical localization of enzymes and DNA analysis during the development of garlic].
- PubMed: Effect of certain bioactive plant extracts on clinical isolates of beta-lactamase producing methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus.
- PubMed: Crystallization and preliminary crystallographic studies on the mannose-specific lectin from garlic.
- PubMed: Effect of herbal molluscicides and their combinations on the reproduction of the snail Lymnaea acuminata.
- PubMed: Production and characterization of an interspecific hybrid between leek and garlic.
- PubMed: Sperm immobilization activity of Allium sativum L. and other plant extracts.
- PubMed: Screening of traditionally used South African plants for antifungal activity against Candida albicans.
- PubMed: Mitigation of thyroxine-induced hyperglycaemia by two plant extracts.
- PubMed: Effect of single and binary combinations of plant-derived molluscicides on different enzyme activities in the nervous tissue of Achatina fulica.
- PubMed: Efficiency of mannose-binding plant lectins in controlling a homopteran insect, the red cotton bug.
- PubMed: Molluscicidal activity of Lawsonia inermis and its binary and tertiary combinations with other plant derived molluscicides.
- PubMed: The reversible two-state unfolding of a monocot mannose-binding lectin from garlic bulbs reveals the dominant role of the dimeric interface in its stabilization.
- PubMed: Hyperaccumulation of cadmium by roots, bulbs and shoots of garlic (Allium sativum L.).
- PubMed: Effect of single and binary combinations of plant-derived molluscicides on reproduction and survival of the snail Achatina fulica.
- PubMed: Antifungal potential of some higher plants against Fusarium udum causing wilt disease of Cajanus cajan.
- PubMed: Chemical and Genetic Evaluation of Somaclonal Variants of Egyptian Garlic (Allium sativum L.).
- PubMed: Developmental Regulation of Lectin and Alliinase Synthesis in Garlic Bulbs and Leaves.
- PubMed: Isolation, characterization and molecular cloning of the mannose-binding lectins from leaves and roots of garlic (Allium sativum L.).
- PubMed: Disinfection Alternatives for Control of Ditylenchus dipsaci in Garlic Seed Cloves.
- PubMed: Alliin lyase (Alliinase) from garlic (Allium sativum). Biochemical characterization and cDNA cloning.
- PubMed: Interspecific hybrid between Allium cepa and Allium sativum.
- PubMed: New mannose-specific lectins from garlic (Allium sativum) and ramsons (Allium ursinum) bulbs.
- PubMed: [Toxic effects induced by the repeat administration of Allium sativum L].
- PubMed: Acute antihypertensive effect in conscious rats produced by some medicinal plants used in the state of São Paulo.
- PubMed: [Allergic contact dermatitis caused by garlic, Primula, Frullania and Compositae].
- PubMed: Screening of indigenous plants for anthelmintic action against human Ascaris lumbricoides: Part--II.
- PubMed: Purification of the alliin lyase of garlic, Allium sativum L.