Eucalyptus Essential Oil (Eucalyptus globulus)
Eucalyptus may also be referred to as Bluegum eucalyptus, Tasmanian bluegum, Southern blue gum, Blue gum. It is typically processed using steam or hydro distillation as a method for extracting oil from the leaves.
Several different species of Eucalyptus Essential Oils exist. Eucalyptus globulusis the most commonly available. To differentiate the different Eucalyptus oils available, they typically go by their full botanical name. However, Eucalyptus globulus Essential Oil sometimes goes by the name Blue Gum.
- Aroma Description:
- Common Name(s): Bluegum eucalyptus, Tasmanian bluegum, Southern blue gum, Blue gum
- Botanical Family: Myrtaceae
- Botanical Genus: Eucalyptus
- Chemical Family: Oxides
- Major Compounds: 1,8-Cineole, a-Pinene, (+)-Limonene, Globulol, (E)-Pinocarveol
- Perfumery Note: Middle/Top
- Consistency: Thin
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Strong
- Color: Clear
- Indigenous Country: Corsica
- Cultivation: Distiller is Certified Organic
- Processing Methods: Steam or Hydro Distillation
- Part Typically Used: Leaves
- Shelf Life: 4 years
- Ethically and sustainably sourced
Benefits & Uses
May be benefitial for addressing the following ailments:
Aches Arthritis Autoimmune Diseases Bad Breath Bodily Congestion Bronchitis Burns Catarrh Chills Colds Colic Coughs Cystitis Fever Flatulence Flu Frigidity / Impotence Gingivitis Gout Hypotension (Low Blood Pressure) Indigestion Insect Bites Insect Repellents Insomnia Lice Muscular aches and pains Parasitic Skin Infections Poor Blood Circulation Rheumatism Scar Tissue Sinusitis Skin : Dermatitis Skin : Oily Skin : Sweaty Sore Throat Spots ( Acne ) Stress
Therapeutic Benefits of Eucalyptus:
Analgesic Anti-anxiety Anti-bacterial Anti-fungal Anti-infectious Anti-inflammatory Anti-microbial Anti-parasitic Anti-rheumatic Anti-septic Anti-spasmodic Anti-viral Cicatrisant Decongestant Diuretic Expectorant Febrifuge Immune support Mucolytic Rubefacient Stimulant
Other Uses for Eucalyptus:
Cautions & Safety
Cautions when using Eucalyptus:
Safety Precautions for Eucalyptus:
Do not take any oils internally and do not apply undiluted essential oils, absolutes, CO2s or other concentrated essences onto the skin without advanced essential oil knowledge or consultation from a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. If you are pregnant, epileptic, have liver damage, have cancer, or have any other medical problem, use oils only under the proper guidance of a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. Use extreme caution when using oils with children and be sure to first read the recommended dilution ratios for children. Consult a qualified aromatherapy practitioner before using oils with children, the elderly, if you have medical issues or are taking medications. For in-depth information on oil safety issues, read Essential Oil Safety by Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young.
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities
Energetics and Chakras Qualites of Eucalyptus:
2nd Chakra - Relationships 4th Chakra - Unconditional Love 6th Chakra - Perspective Clarity Creation Energy Energizing Expansive Uplifting
Eucalyptus Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: Hormonal dynamics during recovery from drought in two Eucalyptus globulus genotypes: From root to leaf.
- PubMed: Molluscicidal and antischistosomal activities of methanol extracts and isolated compounds from Eucalyptus globulus and Melaleuca styphelioides.
- PubMed: Co-ordination of growth, gas exchange and hydraulics define the carbon safety margin in tree species with contrasting drought strategies.
- PubMed: Localization of polysaccharides in isolated and intact cuticles of eucalypt, poplar and pear leaves by enzyme-gold labelling.
- PubMed: Root damage by insects reverses the effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 on Eucalypt seedlings.
- PubMed: Carbon dynamics of eucalypt seedlings exposed to progressive drought in elevated [CO2] and elevated temperature.
- PubMed: Application of phytogenic zerovalent iron nanoparticles in the adsorption of hexavalent chromium.
- PubMed: Effects of essential oils from Eucalyptus globulus leaves on soil organisms involved in leaf degradation.
- PubMed: Whole-plant versus leaf-level regulation of photosynthetic responses after partial defoliation in Eucalyptus globulus saplings.
- PubMed: A latitudinal cline in disease resistance of a host tree.
- PubMed: Qualitative and semi-quantitative analysis of phenolics in Eucalyptus globulus leaves by high-performance liquid chromatography coupled with diode array detection and electrospray ionisation mass spectrometry.
- PubMed: Interactive effects of water supply and defoliation on photosynthesis, plant water status and growth of Eucalyptus globulus Labill.
- PubMed: Ecophysiological responses of a young blue gum (Eucalyptus globulus) plantation to weed control.
- PubMed: Site-specific responses to short-term environmental variation are reflected in leaf and phloem-sap carbon isotopic abundance of field grown Eucalyptus globulus.
- PubMed: A controlled test of the dual-isotope approach for the interpretation of stable carbon and oxygen isotope ratio variation in tree rings.
- PubMed: Consequences of resource limitation for recovery from repeated defoliation in Eucalyptus globulus Labilladière.
- PubMed: Chemical composition and antimicrobial effects of essential oils of Eucalyptus globulus, Myrtus communis and Satureja hortensis against Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Staphylococcus aureus in minced beef.
- PubMed: Screening of allelopathic trees for their antifungal potential against Alternaria alternata strains isolated from dying-back Eucalyptus spp.
- PubMed: Are gas exchange responses to resource limitation and defoliation linked to source:sink relationships?
- PubMed: Compound-specific differences in (13)C of soluble carbohydrates in leaves and phloem of 6-month-old Eucalyptus globulus (Labill).
- PubMed: Antibacterial activity of essential oils from Eucalyptus and of selected components against multidrug-resistant bacterial pathogens.
- PubMed: miRNA control of vegetative phase change in trees.
- PubMed: Seasonal patterns of foliage respiration in dominant and suppressed Eucalyptus globulus canopies.
- PubMed: Observed and modelled leaf area index in Eucalyptus globulus plantations: tests of optimality and equilibrium hypotheses.
- PubMed: Eucalyptus leaf extract suppresses the postprandial elevation of portal, cardiac and peripheral fructose concentrations after sucrose ingestion in rats.
- PubMed: Differences in Rubisco content and its synthesis in leaves at different positions in Eucalyptus globulus seedlings.
- PubMed: Phloem sap and leaf delta13C, carbohydrates, and amino acid concentrations in Eucalyptus globulus change systematically according to flooding and water deficit treatment.
- PubMed: A geographic mosaic of genetic variation within a foundation tree species and its community-level consequences.
- PubMed: Plasticity in maximum stomatal conductance constrained by negative correlation between stomatal size and density: an analysis using Eucalyptus globulus.
- PubMed: Comparison of bacteriostatic and bactericidal activity of 13 essential oils against strains with varying sensitivity to antibiotics.
- PubMed: Marker constituents of the natural antioxidant Eucalyptus leaf extract for the evaluation of food additives.
- PubMed: Role of corticular photosynthesis following defoliation in Eucalyptus globulus.
- PubMed: A comparison of growth, photosynthetic capacity and water stress in Eucalyptus globulus coppice regrowth and seedlings during early development.
- PubMed: Shifts in biomass and resource allocation patterns following defoliation in Eucalyptus globulus growing with varying water and nutrient supplies.
- PubMed: Oxygen and nitrogen reactive species are effectively scavenged by Eucalyptus globulus leaf water extract.
- PubMed: Acclimation to short-term low temperatures in two Eucalyptus globulus clones with contrasting drought resistance.
- PubMed: Development of Nested Polymerase Chain Reaction Detection of Mycosphaerella spp. and Its Application to the Study of Leaf Disease in Eucalyptus Plantations.
- PubMed: Characterization of juvenile and adult leaves of Eucalyptus globulus showing distinct heteroblastic development: photosynthesis and volatile isoprenoids.
- PubMed: Few Mendelian genes underlie the quantitative response of a forest tree, Eucalyptus globulus, to a natural fungal epidemic.
- PubMed: Retranslocation of foliar nutrients in evergreen tree species planted in a Mediterranean environment.
- PubMed: Novel mannose-sequestration technique reveals variation in subcellular orthophosphate pools do not explain the effects of phosphorus nutrition on photosynthesis in Eucalyptus globulus seedlings.
- PubMed: Stability of genetic-based defensive chemistry across life stages in a Eucalyptus species.
- PubMed: Within-canopy nitrogen and photosynthetic gradients are unaffected by soil fertility in field-grown Eucalyptus globulus.
- PubMed: Increased photosynthesis following partial defoliation of field-grown Eucalyptus globulus seedlings is not caused by increased leaf nitrogen.
- PubMed: Modelling advection and diffusion of water isotopologues in leaves.
- PubMed: Defoliation and nitrogen effects on photosynthesis and growth of Eucalyptus globulus.
- PubMed: Internal conductance does not scale with photosynthetic capacity: implications for carbon isotope discrimination and the economics of water and nitrogen use in photosynthesis.
- PubMed: Physiology and anatomy of lenticel-like structures on leaves of Eucalyptus nitens and Eucalyptus globulus seedlings.
- PubMed: Photosynthesis of Eucalyptus globulus with Mycosphaerella leaf disease.
- PubMed: Antibacterial effects of Eucalyptus globulus leaf extract on pathogenic bacteria isolated from specimens of patients with respiratory tract disorders.
- PubMed: Precision and accuracy of pest and pathogen damage assessment in young eucalypt plantations.
- PubMed: Degradation of leaf litter phenolics by aquatic and terrestrial isopods.
- PubMed: PCR-identification of Mycosphaerella species associated with leaf diseases of Eucalyptus.
- PubMed: Eucalyptus leaf extract inhibits intestinal fructose absorption, and suppresses adiposity due to dietary sucrose in rats.
- PubMed: A specific primer PCR and RFLP assay for the rapid detection and differentiation in planta of some Mycosphaerella species associated with foliar diseases of Eucalyptus globulus.
- PubMed: Growth efficiency increases as relative growth rate increases in shoots and roots of Eucalyptus globulus deprived of nitrogen or treated with salt.
- PubMed: Capillary electrophoresis of the major anions and cations in leaf extracts of woody species.
- PubMed: Environmental and physiological controls over oxygen and carbon isotope composition of Tasmanian blue gum, Eucalyptus globulus.
- PubMed: Responses to water stress in two Eucalyptus globulus clones differing in drought tolerance.
- PubMed: Antimicrobial activities of eucalyptus leaf extracts and flavonoids from Eucalyptus maculata.
- PubMed: Ovicidal and adulticidal activity of Eucalyptus globulus leaf oil terpenoids against Pediculus humanus capitis (Anoplura: Pediculidae).
- PubMed: Effects of Eucalyptus plantations on detritus, decomposers, and detritivores in streams.
- PubMed: Leaf orientation, light interception and stomatal conductance of Eucalyptus globulus ssp. globulus leaves.
- PubMed: Water deficits are more important in delaying growth than in changing patterns of carbon allocation in Eucalyptus globulus.
- PubMed: Movement and regeneration of epicuticular waxes through plant cuticles.
- PubMed: Effects of thinning on wood production, leaf area index, transpiration and canopy interception of a plantation subject to drought.
- PubMed: Growth, leaf morphology, water use and tissue water relations of Eucalyptus globulus clones in response to water deficit.
- PubMed: Influence of light availability on leaf structure and growth of two Eucalyptus globulus ssp. globulus provenances.
- PubMed: Foliar nutrient retranslocation in Eucalyptus globulus.
- PubMed: Emission of isoprene from salt-stressed Eucalyptus globulus leaves.
- PubMed: Strong, independent, quantitative genetic control of the timing of vegetative phase change and first flowering in eucalyptus globulus ssp. globulus (Tasmanian blue gum)
- PubMed: Leaf Barriers to Fungal Colonization and Shredders (Tipula lateralis) Consumption of Decomposing Eucalyptus globulus.
- PubMed: Ontogenetic differences in mesophyll structure and chlorophyll distribution in Eucalyptus globulus ssp. globulus.
- PubMed: Eucalyptus has a functional equivalent of the Arabidopsis floral meristem identity gene LEAFY.
- PubMed: Evaluating a simple radiation/dry matter conversion model using data from Eucalyptus globulus plantations in Western Australia.
- PubMed: Leaf water relations of Eucalyptus globulus ssp. globulus and E. nitens: seasonal, drought and species effects.
- PubMed: In vitro evaluation of medicinal plant extracts against Pestalotiopsis mangiferae.
- PubMed: Photosynthetic temperature responses of Eucalyptus globulus and Eucalyptus nitens.
- PubMed: Conductimetric analysis of the ion binding properties of three leaf extracts of chestnut (Castanea sativa), Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus) and oak (Quercus robur).
- PubMed: Role of nitrogen remobilization from old leaves for new leaf growth of Eucalyptus globulus seedlings.
- PubMed: Comparative analysis of allelopathic effects produced by four forestry species during decomposition process in their soils in Galicia (NW Spain).
- PubMed: Genotypic differences in water use efficiency and (13)C discrimination in Eucalyptus globulus.
- PubMed: Photosynthetic capacity of leaves of Eucalyptus globulus (Labill.) growing in the field with different nutrient and water supplies.
- PubMed: Control of growth of juvenile leaves of Eucalyptus globulus: effects of leaf age.
- PubMed: Leaf growth of Eucalyptus globulus seedlings under water deficit.
- PubMed: Water and nutrient supply regimes and the water relations of juvenile leaves of Eucalyptus globulus.
- PubMed: Growth and water relations of seedlings of two subspecies of Eucalyptus globulus.
- PubMed: The thermal conductivity of leaves.