Anise Essential Oil (Pimpinella anisum)
Anise may also be referred to as Sweet Cumin. It is typically processed using steam distilled as a method for extracting oil from the seed.
Anise oil comes from the Pimpinella anisum plant. It has a sweet licorice scent and is a top note oil.
Anise Essential Oil possesses the distinctive aroma of black licorice. Although you may not be a fan of black licorice, a single drop or two of Anise Seed Essential Oil can dramatically enhance an otherwise dull blend. It can be useful in diffuser and inhaler blends intended to help ease bronchitis, colds and the flu. It is said to help promote the production of breast milk and stimulate menstruation, but it should be used with caution and avoided in estrogen-dependent cancers (see safety notes below).
- Aroma Description:
- Common Name(s): Sweet Cumin
Synonyms(s) for Pimpinella anisum: Anisum odoratum, Anisum officinale, Anisum officinarum, Anisum vulgare, Apium anisum, Carum anisum, Pimpinele anisa, Selinum anisum, Seseli gilliesii, Sison anisum, Tragium anisum
- Botanical Family: Apiaceae
- Botanical Genus: Pimpinella
- Chemical Family: Ethers
- Major Compounds: (E)-Anethole, (+)-Limonene, Estragole, Anisyl alcohol
- Perfumery Note: Top
- Consistency: Thin
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Medium
- Color: Clear
- Indigenous Country: Spain
- Cultivation: Wild Harvested
- Processing Methods: Steam Distilled
- Part Typically Used: Seed
- Shelf Life: 4 - 5 years
- Ethically and sustainably sourced
- Wild Harvested
- Not recommended or safe if pregnant or nursing
- Not recommend or safe for children
Benefits & Uses
May be benefitial for addressing the following ailments:
Therapeutic Benefits of Anise:
Analgesic Anti-anxiety Anti-asthmatic Anti-depressant Anti-inflammatory Anti-rheumatic Anti-spasmodic Anti-viral Carminative Cooling Digestive tonic Emmenagogic Estrogenic Expectorant
Cautions & Safety
Cautions when using Anise:
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities
Energetics and Chakras Qualites of Anise:
2nd Chakra - Relationships 4th Chakra - Unconditional Love 6th Chakra - Perspective 7th Chakra - Higher Information Clarity Creation Energy Expansive Meditative Uplifting
Anise Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: An in vivo and in vitro investigation on hepatoprotective effects of Pimpinella anisum seed essential oil and extracts against carbon tetrachloride-induced toxicity.
- J-Stage: Antiviral and Immunostimulating Effects of Lignin-Carbohydrate-Protein Complexes from Pimpinella anisum
- PubMed: Biosynthesis of silver fine particles and particles decorated with nanoparticles using the extract of Illicium verum (star anise) seeds.
- PubMed: Chemical composition and biological activity of star anise Illicium verum extracts against maize weevil, Sitophilus zeamais adults.
- PubMed: Application of 2D-HPLC/taste dilution analysis on taste compounds in aniseed (Pimpinella anisum L.).
- PubMed: Anisi stellati fructus extract attenuates the in vitro and in vivo metastatic and angiogenic potential of malignant cancer cells by downregulating proteolytic activity and pro-angiogenic factors.
- PubMed: The effect of hydro alcoholic extract of seven plants on cariogenic bacteria--an in vitro evaluation.
- PubMed: Biosynthesis of gold nanoparticles and related cytotoxicity evaluation using A549 cells.
- PubMed: Effect of odor preexposure on acquisition of an odor discrimination in dogs.
- PubMed: Insecticidal and oviposition deterrent properties of some spices against coleopteran beetle, Sitophilus oryzae.
- PubMed: Chamnamul [Pimpinella brachycarpa (Kom.) Nakai] ameliorates hyperglycemia and improves antioxidant status in mice fed a high-fat, high-sucrose diet.
- PubMed: Quinic acid derivatives from Pimpinella brachycarpa exert anti-neuroinflammatory activity in lipopolysaccharide-induced microglia.
- PubMed: Evaluation of the control ability of five essential oils against Aspergillus section Nigri growth and ochratoxin A accumulation in peanut meal extract agar conditioned at different water activities levels.
- PubMed: Illicium verum extract inhibits TNF-α- and IFN-γ-induced expression of chemokines and cytokines in human keratinocytes.
- PubMed: Phytochemical composition and toxicity of an antioxidant extract from Pimpinella brachycarpa (Kom.) Nakai.
- PubMed: Evaluation of effects of Zingiber officinale on salivation in rats.
- PubMed: Exposure of Candida to p-anisaldehyde inhibits its growth and ergosterol biosynthesis.
- PubMed: Regulation of cardiac oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats treated with aqueous extract of Pimpinella tirupatiensis tuberous root.
- PubMed: Antiviral and immunostimulating effects of lignin-carbohydrate-protein complexes from Pimpinella anisum.
- PubMed: Supercritical CO(2) oil extraction from Chinese star anise seed and simultaneous compositional analysis using HPLC by fluorescence detection and online atmospheric CI-MS identification.
- PubMed: Ochratoxin A production in aniseed-based media by selected fungal strains and in anise fruits (Pimpinella anisum L.).
- PubMed: Protective effect of Pimpinella anisoides ethanolic extract and its constituents on oxidative damage and its inhibition of nitric oxide in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated RAW 264.7 macrophages.
- PubMed: Microarray analysis of p-anisaldehyde-induced transcriptome of Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
- PubMed: Aqueous extracts of some medicinal plants are as toxic as Imidacloprid to the sweet potato whitefly, Bemisia tabaci.
- PubMed: Acetylcholinesterase and butyrylcholinesterase inhibition of ethanolic extract and monoterpenes from Pimpinella anisoides V Brig. (Apiaceae).
- PubMed: Screening of antioxidant properties of seven Umbelliferae fruits from Iran.
- PubMed: Control of the mushroom phorid fly, Megaselia halterata (Wood), with plant extracts.
- PubMed: Control of Aspergillus section Flavi growth and aflatoxin accumulation by plant essential oils.
- PubMed: Extraction of essential oil from Pimpinella anisum using supercritical carbon dioxide and comparison with hydrodistillation.
- PubMed: Aniseed-induced nocturnal tongue angioedema.
- PubMed: An oral-cavity component in retronasal smelling of natural extracts.
- PubMed: Efficacy of aniseed extract as immune stimulant and growth promoter in broiler chicks.
- PubMed: Spices mycobiota and mycotoxins available in saudi arabia and their abilities to inhibit growth of some toxigenic fungi.
- PubMed: Recovering effects of aqueous extracts of some selected medical plants on the teratogenic effects during the development of D. melanogaster.
- PubMed: Effect of gamma irradiation on microbial load and sensory characteristics of aniseed (Pimpinella anisum).
- PubMed: Antispasmodic and relaxant effects of the hidroalcoholic extract of Pimpinella anisum (Apiaceae) on rat anococcygeus smooth muscle.
- PubMed: Effects of alfalfa extract, anise, capsicum, and a mixture of cinnamaldehyde and eugenol on ruminal fermentation and protein degradation in beef heifers fed a high-concentrate diet.
- PubMed: GC-MS analysis of the essential oils, and the isolation of phenylpropanoid derivatives from the aerial parts of Pimpinella aurea.
- PubMed: Antifungal activity of fluid extract and essential oil from anise fruits (Pimpinella anisum L., Apiaceae).
- PubMed: The effects of acamprosate and neramexane on cue-induced reinstatement of ethanol-seeking behavior in rat.
- PubMed: Effects of natural plant extracts on ruminal protein degradation and fermentation profiles in continuous culture.
- PubMed: The effect of a herbal water-extract on histamine release from mast cells and on allergic asthma.
- PubMed: Aromatic compound glucosides, alkyl glucoside and glucide from the fruit of anise.
- PubMed: Supercritical extraction of essential oil from aniseed (Pimpinella anisum L) using CO2: solubility, kinetics, and composition data.
- PubMed: Water-soluble constituents of anise: new glucosides of anethole glycol and its related compounds.
- PubMed: Long-lasting resistance to extinction of response reinstatement induced by ethanol-related stimuli: role of genetic ethanol preference.
- PubMed: [Chemical constituents of the root of Pimpinella thellungiana Wolff].
- PubMed: Effect of cinnamon, clove and some of their constituents on the Na(+)-K(+)-ATPase activity and alanine absorption in the rat jejunum.
- PubMed: Immunoblot analysis of IgE-binding antigens in spices.
- PubMed: [The celery-carrot-mugwort-condiment syndrome: skin test and RAST results].