White Verbena Essential Oil (Lippia alba)
White Verbena may also be referred to as bushy lippia, bushy matgrass, licorice verbena, lippia, marguerite, marguerite blanche, marguerite des jardins, melisse. It is typically processed using steam or hydro distillation as a method for extracting oil from the stem and leaves.
Lippia alba from which White Verbena Essential Oil is distilled is a native of Texas, Mexico Central and South America and now, more recently, the Caribbean. It has also been introduced in more recent times to India and some parts of Australia where, in particular, it is grown as a fragrant ornamental garden plant. It is also sometimes known by its colloquial names such as Bushy Matgrass, Bushy Lippia, Hierba Negra or Pitiona.
- Aroma Description:
- Common Name(s): bushy lippia, bushy matgrass, licorice verbena, lippia, marguerite, marguerite blanche, marguerite des jardins, melisse
+ Expand- Collapse
Synonyms(s) for Lippia alba: Camara alba, Lantana alba, Lantana alba f. rubella, Lantana cuneatifolia, Lantana geminata, Lantana lippioides, Lantana malabarica, Lantana mollissima, Lantana odorata, Lippia alba f. intermedia, Lippia alba f. macrophylla, Lippia alba f. scabra, Lippia alba var. carterae, Lippia alba var. globiflora, Lippia asperifolia, Lippia carterae, Lippia citrata, Lippia crenata, Lippia geminata, Lippia geminata var. microphylla, Lippia globiflora, Lippia globiflora f. lilacina, Lippia globiflora var. geminata, Lippia globiflora var. normalis, Lippia havanensis, Lippia lantanifolia, Lippia lantanoides, Lippia lantanoides, Lippia obovata, Lippia panamensis, Lippia unica, Verbena globiflora, Verbena globulifera, Verbena lantanoides, Zappania geminata, Zappania globiflora, Zappania lantanoides, Zappania odorata
- Botanical Family: Verbenaceae
- Botanical Genus: Lippia
- Major Compounds: piperitone, geranial, neral, carophyllene, camphor, eucalyptol, limonene, carvone, germacrene, α-guaine, β-ocimene, linalool and myrcene
- Perfumery Note: Top
- Consistency: Medium
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Medium
- Color: Yellow to light brown
- Indigenous Country: South America
- Processing Methods: Steam or Hydro Distillation
- Part Typically Used: Stem and Leaves
Benefits & Uses
Therapeutic Benefits of White Verbena:
Other Uses for White Verbena:
White Verbena Blends:
Angelica Root Benzoin Cedarwood, Atlas Cedarwood, Virginian Grapefruit Mandarin Yarrow
Cautions & Safety
Contraindications of White Verbena:
May cause Photosensitivity in some.
Botanical Description of White Verbena:
It is quite a bushy shrub growing to about 1.5 metres in height with an abundance of white or pink flowers along its stems. It has very aromatic foliage and flowers for which it is highly prized.
White Verbena Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: In vitro antifungal activities of leaf extracts of Lippia alba (Verbenaceae) against clinically important yeast species.
- PubMed: The role of polar phytocomplexes on anticonvulsant effects of leaf extracts of Lippia alba (Mill.) N.E. Brown chemotypes.
- PubMed: Enantiomeric composition of (3R)-(-)- and (3S)-(+)-linalool in various essential oils of Indian origin by enantioselective capillary gas chromatography-flame ionization and mass spectrometry detection methods.
- PubMed: Linalool from Lippia alba: study of the reproducibility of the essential oil profile and the enantiomeric purity.