Turmeric Essential Oil (Curcuma longa)
Turmeric may also be referred to as common turmeric. It is typically processed using steam or hydro distillation as a method for extracting oil from the rhizome.
Turmeric oil comes from the root of Curcuma longa plants. It has a fragrant woody scent.
- Aroma Description: Earthy, Rich, Slightly musky, Spicy, Warm, Woody
- Common Name(s): common turmeric
Synonyms(s) for Curcuma longa: Amomum curcuma, Curcuma brog, Curcuma domestica, Curcuma longa var. vanaharidra, Curcuma ochrorhiza, Curcuma soloensis, Curcuma tinctoria, Kua domestica, Stissera curcuma
- Botanical Family: Zingiberaceae
- Botanical Genus: Curcuma
- Chemical Family: Ketones, Sesquiterpenes
- Perfumery Note: Base
- Indigenous Country: India
- Cultivation: Unsprayed
- Processing Methods: Steam or Hydro Distillation
- Part Typically Used: Rhizome
- Shelf Life: 5-6 years
- Ethically and sustainably sourced
Benefits & Uses
May be benefitial for addressing the following ailments:
Therapeutic Benefits of Turmeric:
Analgesic Anti-anxiety Anti-arthritic Anti-asthmatic Anti-bacterial Anti-depressant Anti-inflammatory Anti-microbial Anti-oxidant Anti-rheumatic Carminative Cephalic Circulatory stimulant Digestive tonic Diuretic Hypotensive Liver Supporter Rubefacient Stimulant Tonic Warming
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities
Energetics and Chakras Qualites of Turmeric:
1st Chakra - Survival and Support 2nd Chakra - Relationships 3rd Chakra - Personal Power Grounding Protective Purifying
Turmeric Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: A simple and efficient protocol for isolation of high quality functional RNA from different tissues of turmeric (Curcuma longa L.).
- PubMed: Discovery of potential anti-infectives against Staphylococcus aureus using a Caenorhabditis elegans infection model.
- PubMed: In vitro evaluation of five different herbal extracts as an antimicrobial endodontic irrigant using real time quantitative polymerase chain reaction.
- PubMed: Novel curcumin-loaded magnetic nanoparticles for pancreatic cancer treatment.
- PubMed: Curcumin, an active constiuent of the ancient medicinal herb Curcuma longa L.: some uses and the establishment and biological basis of medical efficacy.
- PubMed: Identification of differentially expressed proteins in curcumin-treated prostate cancer cell lines.
- PubMed: Effect on pro-inflammatory and antioxidant genes and bioavailable distribution of whole turmeric vs curcumin: Similar root but different effects.
- PubMed: Larvicidal activity of medicinal plant extracts and lignan identified in Phryma leptostachya var. asiatica roots against housefly (Musca domestica L.).
- PubMed: Curcuma as a functional food in the control of cancer and inflammation.
- PubMed: Molecular cloning and differential expressions of two cDNA encoding Type III polyketide synthase in different tissues of Curcuma longa L.
- PubMed: Curcumin ((E,E)-1,7-bis(4-hydroxy-3-methoxyphenyl)-1,6-heptadiene-3,5-dione) activates and desensitizes the nociceptor ion channel TRPA1.
- PubMed: Whole plant extracts versus single compounds for the treatment of malaria: synergy and positive interactions.
- PubMed: Natural anti-inflammatory products and leukotriene inhibitors as complementary therapy for bronchial asthma.
- PubMed: Curcumin and its analogues: potential anticancer agents.
- PubMed: Phase I dose escalation trial of docetaxel plus curcumin in patients with advanced and metastatic breast cancer.
- PubMed: [Effect of different seminal rhizomes on yield and quality of Curcuma longa].
- PubMed: Alkaloid and sesquiterpenes from the root tuber of Curcuma longa.
- PubMed: [Study on growth and dry substance accumulation of Curcuma longa].
- PubMed: [Curcumin in the treatment of prostatic diseases].
- PubMed: A curcumin-based 1-week triple therapy for eradication of Helicobacter pylori infection: something to learn from failure?
- PubMed: Possible neuroprotective mechanisms of curcumin in attenuating 3-nitropropionic acid-induced neurotoxicity.
- PubMed: Curcumin-induced cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human acute promyelocytic leukemia HL-60 cells via MMP changes and caspase-3 activation.
- PubMed: Metabolic profiling of turmeric (Curcuma longa L.) plants derived from in vitro micropropagation and conventional greenhouse cultivation.
- PubMed: Quantitative determination of eight components in rhizome (Jianghuang) and tuberous root (Yujin) of Curcuma longa using pressurized liquid extraction and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry.
- PubMed: Molecular orbital basis for yellow curry spice curcumin's prevention of Alzheimer's disease.
- PubMed: Curcumin: getting back to the roots.
- PubMed: In vitro susceptibility of Helicobacter pylori to botanical extracts used traditionally for the treatment of gastrointestinal disorders.
- PubMed: [Effects of seeding and sowing methods on the yields of root tubers of Curcuma longa].
- PubMed: Authentication of Panax notoginseng by 5S-rRNA spacer domain and random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) analysis.
- PubMed: Safety and anti-inflammatory activity of curcumin: a component of tumeric (Curcuma longa).
- PubMed: [Study on the effect of Rhizoma Curcuma Longa on gastrin receptor].
- PubMed: Phase I clinical trial of curcumin, a chemopreventive agent, in patients with high-risk or pre-malignant lesions.
- PubMed: Antifungal potential of some higher plants against Fusarium udum causing wilt disease of Cajanus cajan.
- PubMed: Effect of intraduodenal infusion of tocamphyl on pancreatic exocrine secretion and gastrointestinal hormone release in rats.
- PubMed: NTP Toxicology and Carcinogenesis Studies of Turmeric Oleoresin (CAS No. 8024-37-1) (Major Component 79%-85% Curcumin, CAS No. 458-37-7) in F344/N Rats and B6C3F1 Mice (Feed Studies).
- PubMed: [Growth regularities of yujin (Curcuma longa L.)].
- PubMed: Homeostasis as regulated by activated macrophage. II. LPS of plant origin other than wheat flour and their concomitant bacteria.
- PubMed: Photokilling of bacteria by the natural dye curcumin.