Siam Wood Essential Oil (Fokienia hodginsii)
Siam Wood may also be referred to as fokienia or Fujian cypress, po mu. It is typically processed using steam or hydro distillation as a method for extracting oil from the root, wood.
- Aroma Description:
- Common Name(s): fokienia or Fujian cypress, po mu
Synonyms(s) for Fokienia hodginsii: Chamaecyparis hodginsii, Cupressus hodginsii, Fokienia hodginsii var. kawaii, Fokienia kawaii, Fokienia maclurei
- Botanical Family: Cupressaceae
- Botanical Genus: Fokienia
- Chemical Family: Sesquiterpenols
- Perfumery Note: Base
- Aroma chemistry: Siam wood essential oil is predominantly made up of sesquiterpenols. The main chemical constituents of this essential oil are fokienol and trans-nerolidol, approximately 33 and 25 percent respectively. Sesquiterpenol rich oils are known to be anti-inflammatory, grounding, soothing and supportive to the system.We find it really fascinating that the oil is distilled form the trunk and roots of the Fokienia tree that are left as worthless by loggers, AND those are the exact parts of the tree that are where the highest percentage of Fokienol lives! Interesting, don't you think?
- Indigenous Country: Vietnam
- Cultivation: Organically Grown
- Processing Methods: Steam or Hydro Distillation
- Part Typically Used: Root, Wood
- Shelf Life: The older it gets the better it gets
- Ethically and sustainably sourced
Benefits & Uses
Therapeutic Benefits of Siam Wood:
Anti-anxiety Anti-arthritic Anti-bacterial Anti-inflammatory Anti-rheumatic Calming Cicatrisant CNS tonic Cooling Insect Repellent
Cautions & Safety
Safety Precautions for Siam Wood:
Botanical Description of Siam Wood:
Fokienia is an evergreen tree, 80 to 100 or so feet tall. It has greyish-brownish bark that peels off when the tree is young. On older trees, the bark presents longitudinal fissures and becomes aromatic. The thing that we find fascinating is that Siam Wood is recognized as a single genus! It is the ONLY living species classified in the subfamily Cupressoideae within the family Cuprressaceae.
Traditional Folklore of Siam Wood:
We couldn't find much on folklore :(
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities
Energetics and Chakras Qualites of Siam Wood:
1st Chakra - Survival and Support 3rd Chakra - Personal Power 4th Chakra - Unconditional Love 6th Chakra - Perspective Expansive Grounding Introspective Meditative Protective
Siam Wood Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: Diterpenoids from the twigs and leaves of Fokienia hodginsii.
- PubMed: Quantitative structure-activity relationship of botanical sesquiterpenes: spatial and contact repellency to the yellow fever mosquito, Aedes aegypti.
- PubMed: [Population structure and community characteristics of Pseudotaxus chienii in Fengyangshan National Natural Reserve].