Rhododendron Essential Oil (Rhododendron anthopogon)
Rhododendron may also be referred to as Dwarf Rhododendron. It is typically processed using steam or hydro distillation as a method for extracting oil from the flowers, leaves.
Rhododendron Essential Oil smells sweet, green and floral with underlying woody characteristics.
- Aroma Description:
- Common Name(s): Dwarf Rhododendron
Synonyms(s) for Rhododendron anthopogon: Rhododendron anthopogon haemonium, Rhododendron anthopogon var. album, Rhododendron haemonium
- Botanical Family: Ericaceae
- Botanical Genus: Rhododendron
- Chemical Family: Monoterpenes, Sesquiterpenes
- Major Compounds: a-Pinene, B-Pinene, Limonene, Delta-Cadinene, (3Z)-B-Ocimene, a-Amorphene, a-Muurolene, p-Cymene
- Perfumery Note: Middle
- Consistency: Thin
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Medium - Strong
- Indigenous Country: Nepal
- Cultivation: Wild Harvested
- Processing Methods: Steam or Hydro Distillation
- Part Typically Used: Flowers, Leaves
- Shelf Life: 4 - 5 years
- Ethically and sustainably sourced
- Wild Harvested
Benefits & Uses
Therapeutic Benefits of Rhododendron:
Analgesic Anti-anxiety Anti-bacterial Anti-depressant Anti-fungal Anti-inflammatory Anti-oxidant Anti-spasmodic Decongestant Immuno-stimulant
Cautions & Safety
Cautions when using Rhododendron:
Tisserand and Young do not indicate any special precautions when using Rhododendron Oil. However, they precaution to avoid use of the oil if it has oxidized. Reading Tisserand and Young's full profile is recommended. [Reference: Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young,Essential Oil Safety(Second Edition. United Kingdom: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier, 2014), 404.]
Safety Precautions for Rhododendron:
No known specific safety concerns associated with this essential oil.
Do not take any oils internally and do not apply undiluted essential oils, absolutes, CO2s or other concentrated essences onto the skin without advanced essential oil knowledge or consultation from a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. If you are pregnant, epileptic, have liver damage, have cancer, or have any other medical problem, use oils only under the proper guidance of a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. Use extreme caution when using oils with children and be sure to first read the recommended dilution ratios for children. Consult a qualified aromatherapy practitioner before using oils with children, the elderly, if you have medical issues or are taking medications. For in-depth information on oil safety issues, read Essential Oil Safety by Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young.
Traditional Folklore of Rhododendron:
In the Sowa Rigpa (Tibetan medicine traditional), anthopogon is also known as balu ot sunpati. Traditionally the leaves and fresh flowers of this shrub are made into a tea by Himalayan healers and drunk to aid digestion, stimulate the appetite, soothe sore thoughts and relieve liver disorders. Rhododendron essential oil is an effective decongestant and antispasmodic for the respiratory system. This essential oil is has also been known to be a detoxifier and kidney stimulator (adrenals) Because of its high monoterpene content; specifically, alpha pinene, beta pinene, and d- limonene, research suggests that Rhododendron is a good anti bacterial, analgesic, anti inflammatory, anti spasmodic and liver protector and supporter. Slightly balsamic in scent, rhododendron essential oil can be used on the skin and hair (added to shampoo)
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities
Energetics and Chakras Qualites of Rhododendron:
3rd Chakra - Personal Power 4th Chakra - Unconditional Love 6th Chakra - Perspective Clarity Expansive Grounding Meditative Protective Transformative Unconditional love Uplifting
Rhododendron Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: Comparative studies of volatile oil composition of Rhododendron anthopogon by hydrodistillation, supercritical carbon dioxide extraction and head space analysis.
- PubMed: Five monoterpenes from leaves of Rhododendron anthopogon.
- PubMed: [Study on the chemical constituents in the volatile oils of the flowers of Tibetan medicine Rhododendron anthopogon].
- PubMed: Chemical composition and biological properties of Rhododendron anthopogon essential oil.
- PubMed: Chemical investigation and biological screening of the stem of Rhododendron anthopogon (D. Don.).