Pepper, Black Essential Oil (Piper nigrum)
Pepper, Black may also be referred to as pepper plant, pepper, pimentero. It is typically processed using steam or hydro distillation as a method for extracting oil from the peppercorns.
Black pepper oil comes from the fruit (peppercorns) of the Piper nigrum plant. It has a warm, spicy, peppery scent. It has a diuretic and stimulating effect.
- Aroma Description:
- Common Name(s): pepper plant, pepper, pimentero
Synonyms(s) for Piper nigrum: Muldera multinervis, Piper colonum, Piper glyphicum, Piper malabarense, Piper rotundum
- Botanical Family: Piperaceae
- Botanical Genus: Piper
- Chemical Family: Monoterpenes, Sesquiterpenes
- Perfumery Note: Base/Middle
- Indigenous Country: India
- Cultivation: Distiller is Certified Organic
- Processing Methods: Steam or Hydro Distillation
- Part Typically Used: Peppercorns
- Shelf Life: 3-4 years
- Ethically and sustainably sourced
Cautions & Safety
Cautions when using Pepper, Black:
It may irritate sensitive skin.
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities
Energetics and Chakras Qualites of Pepper, Black:
1st Chakra - Survival and Support 2nd Chakra - Relationships Creation Energy Grounding Protective Purifying
Pepper, Black Articles or Publications:
- Perfumer & Flavorist: Progress in Essential Oils
- PubMed: Development of piperic acid derivatives from Piper nigrum as UV protection agents.
- PubMed: Antifungal activity and computational study of constituents from Piper divaricatum essential oil against Fusarium infection in black pepper.
- PubMed: Antioxidant activity of Piper nigrum L. essential oil extracted by supercritical CO₂ extraction and hydro-distillation.
- PubMed: Efficacy and safety of topical Trikatu preparation in, relieving mosquito bite reactions: a randomized controlled trial.
- PubMed: Combined effects of gamma-irradiation and modified atmosphere packaging on quality of some spices.
- PubMed: Isolation, characterization and identification of pericarp-degrading bacteria for the production of off-odour-free white pepper from fresh berries of Piper nigrum L.
- PubMed: Black pepper and health claims: a comprehensive treatise.
- PubMed: Safety assessment of Zanthoxylum alatum Roxb. essential oil, its antifungal, antiaflatoxin, antioxidant activity and efficacy as antimicrobial in preservation of Piper nigrum L. fruits.
- PubMed: Antioxidant and anti-atherogenic activities of three Piper species on atherogenic diet fed hamsters.
- PubMed: Piperine, active substance of black pepper, alleviates hypertension induced by NO synthase inhibition.
- PubMed: [Antioxidant properties of essential oils].
- PubMed: Chemistry and in vitro antioxidant activity of volatile oil and oleoresins of black pepper (Piper nigrum).
- PubMed: In vivo effect of some home spices extracts on the toxoplasma gondii tachyzoites.
- PubMed: Pungent agents from Szechuan peppers excite sensory neurons by inhibiting two-pore potassium channels.
- PubMed: Fumigant toxicity of essential oils from some common spices against pulse beetle, Callosobruchus chinensis (Coleoptera: Bruchidae).
- PubMed: Repellent activity of essential oils against cockroaches (Dictyoptera: Blattidae, Blattellidae, and Blaberidae) in Thailand.
- PubMed: Antioxidant activity of commonly consumed plant foods of India: contribution of their phenolic content.
- PubMed: Antioxidant efficacy of black pepper (Piper nigrum L.) and piperine in rats with high fat diet induced oxidative stress.
- PubMed: Effect of storage on the essential oil composition of Piper nigrum L. fruits of different ripening states.
- PubMed: Botanical insecticides for controlling agricultural pests: piperamides and the Colorado Potato Beetle Leptinotarsa decemlineata say (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae).
- PubMed: Effects of fragrance inhalation on sympathetic activity in normal adults.
- PubMed: [Essential oil analysis and trace element study of the roots of Piper nigrum L].
- PubMed: Anti-inflammatory activity of piperine.