Oregano Essential Oil (Origanum vulgare subsp. vulgare)
Oregano may also be referred to as Oregano, Origanum, True Oregano, Wild Marjoram, Origanum Vulgare L.. It is typically processed in Italy using steam distilled as a method for extracting oil from the leaves and flowers/buds.
Oregano oil comes from the flowering tops of the Origanum vulgare plant. It has a spicy scent.
Oregano Essential Oil is a very powerful essential oil and must be used with great care. Be sure to read the safety information provided below.
- Aroma Description:
- Common Name(s): Oregano, Origanum, True Oregano, Wild Marjoram, Origanum Vulgare L.
- Botanical Family: Lamiaceae
- Chemical Family: Monoterpenes, Phenols
- Major Compounds: Carvacrol, p-Cymene, Gamma-Terpinene, Thymol, Linalool
- Perfumery Note: Middle
- Consistency: Thin
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Strong
- Color: Orange to Brownish
- Countries of Production: Italy
- Indigenous Country: Spain
- Cultivation: Wild Harvested
- Processing Methods: Steam Distilled
- Part Typically Used: Leaves and Flowers/Buds
- Shelf Life: 4-5 years
[LC] Least Concern
- Ethically and sustainably sourced
Benefits & Uses
May be benefitial for addressing the following ailments:
Therapeutic Benefits of Oregano:
Analgesic Anti-bacterial Anti-infectious Anti-septic Anti-viral CNS sedative Energizing Expectorant Immune support Stomachic Warming
Other Uses for Oregano:
Camphor Chamomile, German Chamomile, Roman May Chang Oakmoss
Cautions & Safety
Cautions when using Oregano:
Tisserand and Young warn that Oregano Essential Oil is contraindicated during pregnancy and breastfeeding. They indicate that when using Oregano Oil, there is moderate risk for mucous membrane irritation, it may inhibit blood clotting and pose a drug interaction hazard. It may cause embryotoxicity. There is a moderate risk of skin sensitization, and Tisserand and Young recommend a dermal maximum of 1.1%. They advise not to use topically on children age 2 or younger or for those with hypersensitive/diseased/damaged skin. Reading Tisserand and Young's full profile is recommended. [Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young,Essential Oil Safety(Second Edition. United Kingdom: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier, 2014), 376.]
This essential oil poses a higher risk of causing irritation and sensitization when used in the bath. Avoid using it in the bath, even if it is solubilized/diluted.
Safety Precautions for Oregano:
Do not take any oils internally and do not apply undiluted essential oils, absolutes, CO2s or other concentrated essences onto the skin without advanced essential oil knowledge or consultation from a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. If you are pregnant, epileptic, have liver damage, have cancer, or have any other medical problem, use oils only under the proper guidance of a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. Use extreme caution when using oils with children and be sure to first read the recommended dilution ratios for children. Consult a qualified aromatherapy practitioner before using oils with children, the elderly, if you have medical issues or are taking medications. For in-depth information on oil safety issues, readEssential Oil Safety by Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young.
Botanical Description of Oregano:
Oregano is a perennial related to the herb marjoram, sometimes being referred to as wild marjoram. It has purple flowers and spade-shaped, olive-green leaves.
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities of Oregano:
1st Chakra - survival and support, 2nd Chakra - relationships, creation energy, 3rd Chakra - personal power, Grounding, Purifying
Oregano Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: Chitosan boosts the antimicrobial activity of Origanum vulgare essential oil in modified atmosphere packaged pork.
- PubMed: Effect of Oregano Essential Oil (Origanum vulgare subsp. hirtum) on the Storage Stability and Quality Parameters of Ground Chicken Breast Meat.
- PubMed: The in vitro effect of selected essential oils on the growth and mycotoxin production of Aspergillus species.
- PubMed: Synergistic and Additive Effect of Oregano Essential Oil and Biological Silver Nanoparticles against Multidrug-Resistant Bacterial Strains.
- PubMed: Comparison Between Different Flavored Olive Oil Production Techniques: Healthy Value and Process Efficiency.
- PubMed: Larvicidal potential of carvacrol and terpinen-4-ol from the essential oil of Origanum vulgare (Lamiaceae) against Anopheles stephensi, Anopheles subpictus, Culex quinquefasciatus and Culex tritaeniorhynchus (Diptera: Culicidae).
- PubMed: Effects of the Essential Oil from Origanum vulgare L. on Survival of Pathogenic Bacteria and Starter Lactic Acid Bacteria in Semihard Cheese Broth and Slurry.
- PubMed: An open-field study comparing an essential oil-based shampoo with miconazole/chlorhexidine for hair coat disinfection in cats with spontaneous microsporiasis.
- PubMed: Inhibition of Staphylococcus aureus cocktail using the synergies of oregano and rosemary essential oils or carvacrol and 1,8-cineole.
- PubMed: Comparative evaluation of the antimicrobial activity of 19 essential oils.
- PubMed: Molecular characterisation of a bio-based active packaging containing Origanum vulgare L. essential oil using pyrolysis gas chromatography-mass spectrometry.
- PubMed: Development of bioactive fish gelatin/chitosan nanoparticles composite films with antimicrobial properties.
- PubMed: Essential oil diversity of European Origanum vulgare L. (Lamiaceae).
- PubMed: Antimicrobial effect against different bacterial strains and bacterial adaptation to essential oils used as feed additives.
- PubMed: Habituation of enterotoxigenic Staphylococcus aureus to Origanum vulgare L. essential oil does not induce direct-tolerance and cross-tolerance to salts and organic acids.
- PubMed: In vitro activity of essential oils extracted from condiments against fluconazole-resistant and -sensitive Candida glabrata.
- PubMed: Treatment of experimental pythiosis with essential oils of Origanum vulgare and Mentha piperita singly, in association and in combination with immunotherapy.
- PubMed: The Essential Oil from Origanum vulgare L. and Its Individual Constituents Carvacrol and Thymol Enhance the Effect of Tetracycline against Staphylococcus aureus.
- PubMed: Insecticidal properties of essential oils against Tribolium castaneum (Herbst) and their inhibitory effects on acetylcholinesterase and adenosine triphosphatases.
- PubMed: Empirical prediction and validation of antibacterial inhibitory effects of various plant essential oils on common pathogenic bacteria.
- PubMed: An investigation of the bactericidal activity of selected essential oils to Aeromonas spp.
- PubMed: Antifungal Activity of Some Constituents of Origanum vulgare L. Essential Oil Against Postharvest Disease of Peach Fruit.
- PubMed: Tolerance response of multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica strains to habituation to Origanum vulgare L. essential oil.
- PubMed: Dietary effects of a mix derived from oregano (Origanum vulgare L.) essential oil and sweet chestnut (Castanea sativa Mill.) wood extract on pig performance, oxidative status and pork quality traits.
- PubMed: In vitro susceptibility of Brazilian Pythium insidiosum isolates to essential oils of some Lamiaceae family species.
- PubMed: Anti-oxidant studies and anti-microbial effect of Origanum vulgare Linn in combination with standard antibiotics.
- PubMed: Antimicrobial activity of essential oils of Thymus vulgaris and Origanum vulgare on phytopathogenic strains isolated from soybean.
- PubMed: The antibacterial and antifungal activity of essential oils extracted from Guatemalan medicinal plants.
- PubMed: Assessment of tolerance induction by Origanum vulgare L. essential oil or carvacrol in Pseudomonas aeruginosa cultivated in a meat-based broth and in a meat model.
- PubMed: Bio-efficacy of the essential oil of oregano (Origanum vulgare Lamiaceae. Ssp. Hirtum).
- PubMed: Composition and antiproliferative effect of essential oil of Origanum vulgare against tumor cell lines.
- PubMed: Phytochemical screening, anticancer and antioxidant activities of Origanum vulgare L. ssp. viride (Boiss.) Hayek, a plant of traditional usage.
- PubMed: Microencapsulation, chemical characterization, and antimicrobial activity of Mexican (Lippia graveolens H.B.K.) and European (Origanum vulgare L.) oregano essential oils.
- PubMed: Effect of Origanum chemotypes on broiler intestinal bacteria.
- PubMed: Effects of selected essential oils on the growth and production of ochratoxin A by Penicillium verrucosum.
- PubMed: Potential of essential oils for protection of grains contaminated by aflatoxin produced by Aspergillus flavus.
- PubMed: Antibacterial activity against Clostridium genus and antiradical activity of the essential oils from different origin.
- PubMed: Clinical and mycological evaluation of an herbal antifungal formulation in canine Malassezia dermatitis.
- PubMed: Decoction, infusion and hydroalcoholic extract of Origanum vulgare L.: different performances regarding bioactivity and phenolic compounds.
- PubMed: Chemical composition and biological activity of the essential oil of Origanum vulgare ssp. hirtum from different areas in the Southern Apennines (Italy).
- PubMed: Sublethal amounts of Origanum vulgare L. essential oil and carvacrol cause injury and changes in membrane fatty acid of Salmonella Typhimurium cultivated in a meat broth.
- PubMed: [Effect of oregano essential oil on the engraftment and development of Lewis carcinoma in F1 DBA C57 black hybrid mice].
- PubMed: Essential oil composition and antibacterial activity of Origanum vulgare subsp. glandulosum Desf. at different phenological stages.
- PubMed: Chemical composition and biological activity of essential oils of Origanum vulgare L. subsp. vulgare L. under different growth conditions.
- PubMed: Influence of Phenological Stages on Yield and Quality of Oregano (Origanum vulgare L.) Under the Agroclimatic Condition of Doon Valley (Uttarakhand).
- PubMed: Phytomorphological and essential-oil characterization in situ and ex situ of wild biotypes of oregano collected in the Campania region (Southern Italy).
- PubMed: Effects of oregano on performance and immunmodulating factors in weaned piglets.
- PubMed: Origanum vulgare subsp. hirtum essential oil prevented biofilm formation and showed antibacterial activity against planktonic and sessile bacterial cells.
- PubMed: The effect of vacuum packaging, EDTA, oregano and thyme oils on the microbiological quality of chicken's breast.
- PubMed: Increased seizure latency and decreased severity of pentylenetetrazol-induced seizures in mice after essential oil administration.
- PubMed: Lack of induction of direct protection or cross-protection in Staphylococcus aureus by sublethal concentrations of Origanum vulgare L. essential oil and carvacrol in a meat-based medium.
- PubMed: Evaluation of the leishmanicidal and cytotoxic potential of essential oils derived from ten colombian plants.
- PubMed: Lethal and sublethal effects of four essential oils on the egg parasitoids Trissolcus basalis.
- PubMed: [Antiradical properties of oregano, thyme, and savory essential oils].
- PubMed: Congruence of phytochemical and morphological profiles along an altitudinal gradient in Origanum vulgare ssp. vulgare from Venetian Region (NE Italy).
- PubMed: Efficacy of plant essential oils on postharvest control of rots caused by fungi on different stone fruits in vivo.
- PubMed: Chemical composition and bioactivity of different oregano (Origanum vulgare) extracts and essential oil.
- PubMed: Antibacterial activities of Origanum vulgare alone and in combination with different antimicrobials against clinical isolates of Salmonella typhi.
- PubMed: In vitro and in vivo antifungal activity of some essential oils against feline isolates of Microsporum canis.
- PubMed: A herbal antifungal formulation of Thymus serpillum, Origanum vulgare and Rosmarinus officinalis for treating ovine dermatophytosis due to Trichophyton mentagrophytes.
- PubMed: Lipid oxidative changes in chitosan-oregano coated traditional dry fermented sausage Petrovská klobása.
- PubMed: Correlations between genetic, morphological, and chemical diversities in a germplasm collection of the medicinal plant Origanum vulgare L.
- PubMed: Efficacy of the application of a coating composed of chitosan and Origanum vulgare L. essential oil to control Rhizopus stolonifer and Aspergillus niger in grapes (Vitis labrusca L.).
- PubMed: Combination of Origanum vulgare L. essential oil and lactic acid to inhibit Staphylococcus aureus in meat broth and meat model.
- PubMed: Evidence for lack of acquisition of tolerance in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium ATCC 14028 after exposure to subinhibitory amounts of Origanum vulgare L. essential oil and carvacrol.
- PubMed: Are leaf glandular trichomes of oregano hospitable habitats for bacterial growth?
- PubMed: In vitro inhibitory activity of essential oil vapors against Ascosphaera apis.
- PubMed: Chemical stability of extra-virgin olive oil added with oregano essential oil.
- PubMed: In vitro control of post-harvest fruit rot fungi by some plant essential oil components.
- PubMed: Role of Oregano (Origanum vulgare) essential oil as a surface fungus inhibitor on fermented sausages: evaluation of its effect on microbial and physicochemical characteristics.
- PubMed: Correlation of the chemical composition of essential oils from Origanum vulgare subsp. virens with their in vitro activity against pathogenic yeasts and filamentous fungi.
- PubMed: Volatile constituents of Origanum vulgare L., 'thymol' chemotype: variability in North India during plant ontogeny.
- PubMed: Antibacterial activity and GC/MS analysis of the essential oils from flower, leaf and stem of Origanum vulgare ssp. viride growing wild in north-west Iran.
- PubMed: Chemical markers in Origanum vulgare L. from Kumaon Himalayas: a chemosystematic study.
- PubMed: Terpenoid composition and antifungal activity of three commercially important essential oils against Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus niger.
- PubMed: Antibacterial activities of essential oils from eight Greek aromatic plants against clinical isolates of Staphylococcus aureus.
- PubMed: Composition and biological activity of essential oils from Labiatae against Nezara viridula (Hemiptera: Pentatomidae) soybean pest.
- PubMed: Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of essential oils obtained from oregano (Origanum vulgare ssp. hirtum) by using different extraction methods.
- PubMed: Evaluation of commercial essential oil samples on the growth of postharvest pathogen Monilinia fructicola (G. Winter) Honey.
- PubMed: Antibacterial effects of the essential oils of commonly consumed medicinal herbs using an in vitro model.
- PubMed: Can glandular hair density be a breeding marker for Origanum vulgare subsp. hirtum with high essential oil content?
- PubMed: An attempt of postharvest orange fruit rot control using essential oils from Mediterranean plants.
- PubMed: Chemical diversity in Indian oregano (Origanum vulgare L.).
- PubMed: In vitro synergistic antibacterial action of certain combinations of gentamicin and essential oils.
- PubMed: Ethanol, vinegar and Origanum vulgare oil vapour suppress the development of anthracnose rot in tomato fruit.
- PubMed: Electronic paramagnetic resonance investigation of the activity of Origanum vulgare L. essential oil on the Listeria monocytogenes membrane.
- PubMed: Volatile oil composition and antiproliferative activity of Laurus nobilis, Origanum syriacum, Origanum vulgare, and Salvia triloba against human breast adenocarcinoma cells.
- PubMed: Terpene synthases of oregano (Origanum vulgare L.) and their roles in the pathway and regulation of terpene biosynthesis.
- PubMed: Nematicidal activity of essential oils and volatiles derived from Portuguese aromatic flora against the pinewood nematode, Bursaphelenchus xylophilus.
- PubMed: Matrix solid-phase dispersion (MSPD) in chromatographic analysis of essential oils in herbs.
- PubMed: In vitro activity of origanum vulgare essential oil against candida species.
- PubMed: Influence of Origanum vulgare L. essential oil on enterotoxin production, membrane permeability and surface characteristics of Staphylococcus aureus.
- PubMed: Total phenolic content, radical scavenging properties, and essential oil composition of Origanum species from different populations.
- PubMed: Antibacterial activity of oregano (Origanum vulgare Linn.) against gram positive bacteria.
- PubMed: In vitro synergic efficacy of the combination of Nystatin with the essential oils of Origanum vulgare and Pelargonium graveolens against some Candida species.
- PubMed: Combined application of origanum vulgare l. essential oil and acetic acid for controlling the growth of staphylococcus aureus in foods.
- PubMed: In vitro activity of essential oils extracted from plants used as spices against fluconazole-resistant and fluconazole-susceptible Candida spp.
- PubMed: Effect of some essential oils on rheological properties of wheat flour dough.
- PubMed: The inhibition of Candida species by selected essential oils and their synergism with amphotericin B.
- PubMed: Identification and characterization of simple sequence repeat markers from a glandular Origanum vulgare expressed sequence tag.
- PubMed: The potential of Origanum vulgare L. (Lamiaceae) essential oil in inhibiting the growth of some food-related Aspergillus species.
- PubMed: Development of flexible antimicrobial films using essential oils as active agents.
- PubMed: [Analysis on the volatile oil in Origanum vulgare].
- PubMed: Effect of oregano (Origanum vulgare L.) and thyme (Thymus vulgaris L.) essential oils on Trypanosoma cruzi (Protozoa: Kinetoplastida) growth and ultrastructure.
- PubMed: Testing of the palatability of Thymus vulgaris L. and Origanum vulgare L. as flavouring feed additive for weaner pigs on the basis of a choice experiment.
- PubMed: Characterization of the volatile composition of essential oils of some lamiaceae spices and the antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of the entire oils.
- PubMed: Supercritical carbon dioxide extraction of compounds with antimicrobial activity from Origanum vulgare L.: determination of optimal extraction parameters.
- PubMed: Antibacterial and antioxidant activities of essential oils isolated from Thymbra capitata L. (Cav.) andOriganum vulgare L.
- PubMed: Antifungal effect of various essential oils against Candida albicans. Potentiation of antifungal action of amphotericin B by essential oil from Thymus vulgaris.
- PubMed: Antimicrobial activity of five essential oils against origin strains of the Enterobacteriaceae family.
- PubMed: Seasonal, populational and ontogenic variation in the volatile oil content and composition of individuals of Origanum vulgare subsp. Hirtum, assessed by GC headspace analysis and by SPME sampling of individual oil glands.
- PubMed: Generalization of a habituated feeding deterrent response to unrelated antifeedants following prolonged exposure in a generalist herbivore, Trichoplusia ni.
- PubMed: Susceptibility of methicillin-resistant staphylococci to oregano essential oil, carvacrol and thymol.
- PubMed: Antibacterial activity of selected plant essential oils against Escherichia coli O157:H7.
- PubMed: SPME determination of volatile aldehydes for evaluation of in-vitro antioxidant activity.
- PubMed: The essential oil of Origanum vulgare L. ssp. vulgare growing wild in vilnius district (Lithuania).
- PubMed: The effect of air-drying on glycosidically bound volatiles from seasonally collected origano (Origanum vulgare ssp. hirtum) from Croatia.
- PubMed: GC-MS analysis of essential oils from some Greek aromatic plants and their fungitoxicity on Penicillium digitatum.
- PubMed: Volatile constituents of Origanum vulgare ssp. viride (syn. O. heracleoticum) from Iran.