Nagarmotha Essential Oil (Cyperus rotundus)
Nagarmotha may also be referred to as coco-grass, Java grass, nut grass, purple nut sedge or purple nutsedge, red nut sedge, Khmer kravanh chruk. It is typically processed using steam or hydro distillation as a method for extracting oil from the rhizome.
Balsamic Earthy Exotic Musky Resinous Rich Slightly spicy Warm Woody
- Common Name(s): coco-grass, Java grass, nut grass, purple nut sedge or purple nutsedge, red nut sedge, Khmer kravanh chruk
+ Expand- Collapse
Synonyms(s) for Cyperus rotundus: Chlorocyperus rotundus, Chlorocyperus salaamensis, Cyperus agrestis, Cyperus arabicus, Cyperus badius var. inconspicuus, Cyperus bicolor, Cyperus bifax, Cyperus bulbosostoloniferus, Cyperus comosus, Cyperus disruptus, Cyperus elongatus, Cyperus herbicavus, Cyperus hexastachyos, Cyperus hildra, Cyperus hydra, Cyperus inconspicuus, Cyperus laevissimus, Cyperus leptostachyus, Cyperus merkeri, Cyperus micreilema, Cyperus nubicus, Cyperus ochreoides, Cyperus officinalis, Cyperus oliganthus, Cyperus olivaris, Cyperus olivaris var. brevibracteatus, Cyperus pallescens, Cyperus pallescens, Cyperus patulus, Cyperus platystachys, Cyperus procerulus, Cyperus proteinolepis, Cyperus pseudovariegatus, Cyperus purpureovariegatus, Cyperus radicosus, Cyperus retzii, Cyperus rotundus f. comosus, Cyperus rotundus f. contractus, Cyperus rotundus f. depallescens, Cyperus rotundus f. inconspicuus, Cyperus rotundus f. latifolius, Cyperus rotundus f. latimarginatus, Cyperus rotundus subsp. brevibracteatus, Cyperus rotundus subsp. comosus, Cyperus rotundus subsp. divaricatus, Cyperus rotundus subsp. inconspicuus, Cyperus rotundus subsp. merkeri, Cyperus rotundus subsp. retzii, Cyperus rotundus subsp. tuberosus, Cyperus rotundus var. acutus, Cyperus rotundus var. amaliae, Cyperus rotundus var. brevibracteatus, Cyperus rotundus var. carinalis, Cyperus rotundus var. carinatus, Cyperus rotundus var. centiflorus, Cyperus rotundus var. comosus, Cyperus rotundus var. disruptus, Cyperus rotundus var. elongatus, Cyperus rotundus var. hydra, Cyperus rotundus var. inconspicuus, Cyperus rotundus var. macrostachyus, Cyperus rotundus var. major, Cyperus rotundus var. nubicus, Cyperus rotundus var. pallidus, Cyperus rotundus var. platystachys, Cyperus rotundus var. procerula, Cyperus rotundus var. pseudesculentus, Cyperus rotundus var. quimoyensis, Cyperus rotundus var. salsolus, Cyperus rotundus var. spadiceus, Cyperus rotundus var. taylorii, Cyperus rotundus var. tetrastachyos, Cyperus rudioi, Cyperus rudioi var. minor, Cyperus stoloniferus var. pallidus, Cyperus taylorii, Cyperus tetrastachyos, Cyperus tuberosus, Cyperus viridis, Cyperus weinlandii, Cyperus yoshinagae, Pycreus rotundus, Schoenus tuberosus
- Botanical Family: Cyperaceae
- Botanical Genus: Cyperus
- Chemical Family: Ketones, Sesquiterpenes
- Perfumery Note: Base
- Indigenous Country: India
- Cultivation: Wild Harvested
- Processing Methods: Steam or Hydro Distillation
- Part Typically Used: Rhizome
- Shelf Life: 6 years
- Wild Harvested
Benefits & Uses
Therapeutic Benefits of Nagarmotha:
Anti-allergenic Anti-anxiety Anti-asthmatic Anti-emetic Anti-inflammatory Anti-parasitic Anti-tussive Calming Carminative Cephalic Cicatrisant CNS tonic Deodorant Digestive stimulant Digestive tonic Febrifuge Hormone Balancer Insect Repellent Sedative Stomachic Tonic Uterine tonic Wound healing
Cautions & Safety
Safety Precautions for Nagarmotha:
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities
Energetics and Chakras Qualites of Nagarmotha:
1st Chakra - Survival and Support 2nd Chakra - Relationships 3rd Chakra - Personal Power 7th Chakra - Higher Information Balancing Clarity Creation Energy Grounding Introspective Meditative Purifying Source Energy
Nagarmotha Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: Tissue-specific Metabolite Profiling of Cyperus rotundus L. Rhizomes and (+)-Nootkatone Quantitation by Using Laser Micro Dissection, UHPLC-QTOF MS and GC-MS Techniques.
- PubMed: (+)-Nootkatone inhibits tumor necrosis factor α/interferon γ-induced production of chemokines in HaCaT cells.
- PubMed: Evaluation of antinociceptive activity of hydromethanol extract of Cyperus rotundus in mice.
- PubMed: Investigation on Chinese herbal medicine for primary dysmenorrhea: implication from a nationwide prescription database in Taiwan.
- PubMed: Evaluation of in vitro antioxidant and apoptotic activities of Cyperus rotundus.
- PubMed: Topical Cyperus rotundus oil: a new therapeutic modality with comparable efficacy to Alexandrite laser photo-epilation.
- PubMed: A vacuolar H(+)-pyrophosphatase differential activation and energy coupling integrate the responses of weeds and crops to drought stress.
- PubMed: [Pharmacognostical study of Cyperus rotundus growing in Wen-River area].
- PubMed: nrDNA ITS sequence based SCAR marker to authenticate Aconitum heterophyllum and Cyperus rotundus in Ayurvedic raw drug source and prepared herbal products.
- PubMed: Inhibitors of α-glucosidase and α-amylase from Cyperus rotundus.
- PubMed: The effect of transitional organic production practices on soilborne pests of tomato in a simulated microplot study.
- PubMed: Field note: phytoremediation of petroleum sludge contaminated field using sedge species, Cyperus rotundus (Linn.) and Cyperus brevifolius (Rottb.) Hassk.
- PubMed: Phytoremediation of crude oil contaminated soil using nut grass, Cyperus rotundus.
- PubMed: Treatment of irritable bowel syndrome using a selected herbal combination of Iraqi folk medicines.
- PubMed: Plant community characteristics and their responses to environmental factors in the water level fluctuation zone of the three gorges reservoir in China.
- PubMed: α-Cyperone, isolated from the rhizomes of Cyperus rotundus, inhibits LPS-induced COX-2 expression and PGE2 production through the negative regulation of NFκB signalling in RAW 264.7 cells.
- PubMed: Antiplasmodial potential of selected medicinal plants from eastern Ghats of South India.
- PubMed: Pharmacological, antioxidant, genotoxic studies and modulation of rat splenocyte functions by Cyperus rotundus extracts.
- PubMed: A new iridoid glycoside and potential MRB inhibitory activity of isolated compounds from the rhizomes of Cyperus rotundus L.
- PubMed: Occurrence of stilbene oligomers in Cyperus rhizomes.
- PubMed: Neuroprotective effects of Cyperus rotundus on SIN-1 induced nitric oxide generation and protein nitration: ameliorative effect against apoptosis mediated neuronal cell damage.
- PubMed: Xiang-Qi-Tang and its active components exhibit anti-inflammatory and anticoagulant properties by inhibiting MAPK and NF-κB signaling pathways in LPS-treated rat cardiac microvascular endothelial cells.
- PubMed: Two novel phenolic compounds from the rhizomes of Cyperus rotundus L.
- PubMed: Adaptation to flooding during emergence and seedling growth in rice and weeds, and implications for crop establishment.
- PubMed: HPTLC and reverse phase HPLC methods for the simultaneous quantification and in vitro screening of antioxidant potential of isolated sesquiterpenoids from the rhizomes of Cyperus rotundus.
- PubMed: Hydroalcoholic extract of cyperus rotundus ameliorates H2O2-induced human neuronal cell damage via its anti-oxidative and anti-apoptotic machinery.
- PubMed: Natural products: a safest approach for obesity.
- PubMed: Contact and fumigant toxicity of Cyperus rotundus steam distillate constituents and related compounds to insecticide-susceptible and -resistant Blattella germanica.
- PubMed: Total synthesis of (+)-cyperolone.
- PubMed: [GC-MS analysis and analgesic activity of essential oil from fresh rhizoma of Cyperus rotundus].
- PubMed: Short-term effects of diesel fuel on rhizosphere microbial community structure of native plants in Yangtze estuarine wetland.
- PubMed: Nine eriophyoid mite species from Iran (Acari, Eriophyidae).
- PubMed: Structurally diverse terpenoids from the rhizomes of Cyperus rotundus L.
- PubMed: Phytoremediation potential of indigenous plants from Thai Nguyen province, Vietnam.
- PubMed: [Protective effect of Jiangbaiweiyan tablet on ethanol-induced gastric mucosa injury in rats].
- PubMed: (+)-Nootkatone and (+)-valencene from rhizomes of Cyperus rotundus increase survival rates in septic mice due to heme oxygenase-1 induction.
- PubMed: Studies on the activity of Cyperus rotundus Linn. tubers against infectious diarrhea.
- PubMed: Diet composition and quality in indian bison (Bos gaurus) based on fecal analysis.
- PubMed: Anti-allergic activity of sesquiterpenes from the rhizomes of Cyperus rotundus.
- PubMed: Antiplatelet effects of Cyperus rotundus and its component (+)-nootkatone.
- PubMed: Total oligomeric flavonoids of Cyperus rotundus ameliorates neurological deficits, excitotoxicity and behavioral alterations induced by cerebral ischemic-reperfusion injury in rats.
- PubMed: Antiinflammatory activity of Phyllanthus emblica, Plumbago zeylanica and Cyperus rotundus in acute models of inflammation.
- PubMed: Wetland treatment (HSSP) of wastewater from a milk-processing unit using Bambusa vulgaris, Typha latifolia and Cyperus rotundus.
- PubMed: Chromium stress in paddy: (i) nutrient status of paddy under chromium stress; (ii) phytoremediation of chromium by aquatic and terrestrial weeds.
- PubMed: Protective effect of Cyperi rhizoma against 6-hydroxydopamine-induced neuronal damage.
- PubMed: Polyphasic analysis of the bacterial community in the rhizosphere and roots of Cyperus rotundus L. grown in a petroleum-contaminated soil.
- PubMed: Morphological and physiological responses of lowland purple nutsedge (Cyperus rotundus L.) to flooding.
- PubMed: Cyperus rotundus, a substitute for Aconitum heterophyllum: Studies on the Ayurvedic concept of Abhava Pratinidhi Dravya (drug substitution).
- PubMed: Toxicity of botanical insecticides on golden apple snail (Pomacea canaliculata).
- PubMed: Evaluation of CNS activities of ethanol extract of roots and rhizomes of Cyperus rotundus in mice.
- PubMed: Chemical composition of the essential oils of Cyperus rotundus L. from South Africa.
- PubMed: Antiviral screening of forty-two Egyptian medicinal plants.
- PubMed: Relationship correlation of antioxidant and antiproliferative capacity of Cyperus rotundus products towards K562 erythroleukemia cells.
- PubMed: Complete assignments of (1)H and (13)C NMR data for two new sesquiterpenes from Cyperus rotundus L.
- PubMed: Nutsedge Counts Predict Meloidogyne incognita Juvenile Counts in an Integrated Management System.
- PubMed: Essential oil of Artemisia scoparia inhibits plant growth by generating reactive oxygen species and causing oxidative damage.
- PubMed: Clinical study of the Immunoglobululin Enhancing effect of "Bala compound" on Infants.
- PubMed: Evaluation of Hexane Extract of Tuber of Root of Cyperus rotundus Linn (Cyperaceae) for Repellency against Mosquito Vectors.
- PubMed: Screening of antibacterial potentials of some medicinal plants from Melghat forest in India.
- PubMed: Ecological studies on Al-Khadoud Spring, Al-Hassa, Saudi Arabia.
- PubMed: Fructose-amino acid conjugate and other constituents from Cyperus rotundus L.
- PubMed: Heavy metals in water, sediments and wetland plants in an aquatic ecosystem of tropical industrial region, India.
- PubMed: Norcyperone, a novel skeleton norsesquiterpene from Cyperus rotundus L.
- PubMed: In vitro evaluation of antibacterial, antioxidant, cytotoxic and apoptotic activities of the tubers infusion and extracts of Cyperus rotundus.
- PubMed: Ethnoveterinary practices for the treatment of parasitic diseases in livestock in Cholistan desert (Pakistan).
- PubMed: Adaptation to flooding in upland and lowland ecotypes of Cyperus rotundus, a troublesome sedge weed of rice: tuber morphology and carbohydrate metabolism.
- PubMed: Comparative study of Cyperus rotundus essential oil by a modified GC/MS analysis method. Evaluation of its antioxidant, cytotoxic, and apoptotic effects.
- PubMed: Effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 on invasive plants: comparison of purple and yellow nutsedge (Cyperus rotundus L. and C. esculentus L.).
- PubMed: Antifatigue effect of Rubus coreanus Miquel extract in mice.
- PubMed: In vitro antioxidant and free radical scavenging activity of Cyperus rotundus.
- PubMed: Cyperus rotundus suppresses AGE formation and protein oxidation in a model of fructose-mediated protein glycoxidation.
- PubMed: Anticariogenic properties of the extract of Cyperus rotundus.
- PubMed: Biomonitoring of heavy metals by pollen in urban environment.
- PubMed: A new steroid glycoside and furochromones from Cyperus rotundus L.
- PubMed: Administration of Cyperus rotundus tubers extract prevents weight gain in obese Zucker rats.
- PubMed: Cyperus rotundus extract inhibits acetylcholinesterase activity from animal and plants as well as inhibits germination and seedling growth in wheat and tomato.
- PubMed: Optimization and comparison of three methods for extraction of volatile compounds from Cyperus rotundus evaluated by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry.
- PubMed: Antidiabetic activity of hydro-ethanolic extract of Cyperus rotundus in alloxan induced diabetes in rats.
- PubMed: Inhibitory effects of selected Thai medicinal plants on Na+,K+-ATPase.
- PubMed: Antidiarrhoeal activity of Cyperus rotundus.
- PubMed: Antioxidant activity of a salt-spice-herbal mixture against free radical induction.
- PubMed: Investigation of extracts from (Tunisian) Cyperus rotundus as antimutagens and radical scavengers.
- PubMed: Antimicrobial properties of roots of medicinal plants.
- PubMed: Claviceps cyperi, a new cause of severe ergotism in dairy cattle consuming maize silage and teff hay contaminated with ergotised Cyperus esculentus (nut sedge) on the Highveld of South Africa.
- PubMed: Induction of Sexual Stage and Colony Morphology of Some Isolates of Sclerotium rolfsii Causing Spotted Leaf Rot in Plants.
- PubMed: Anti-Candida activity of Brazilian medicinal plants.
- PubMed: Population dynamics of weeds in no-tillage and conventional crop systems.
- PubMed: Effects of plant densities and management of purple nutsedge on sugarcane yield and effect of growth stages and main way of herbicides contact and absorption on the control of tubers.
- PubMed: The occurrence and allergising potential of airborne pollen in West Bengal, India.
- PubMed: Cyperus Tubers Protect Meloidogyne incognita from 1,3-Dichloropropene.
- PubMed: Effect of polyherbal formulation on experimental models of inflammatory bowel diseases.
- PubMed: [Advances in the study of chemical constituents and pharmacology of Cyperus rotundus L. ].
- PubMed: Utilization of tigernut (Cyperus rotundus, L.) meal in diets for cockerel starters.
- PubMed: Effect of weed extracts on seedling growth of some varieties of wheat.
- PubMed: Variability in Indian isolates of Sclerotium rolfsii.
- PubMed: Studies on exudate-depleted sclerotial development in Sclerotium rolfsii and the effect of oxalic acid, sclerotial exudate, and culture filtrate on phenolic acid induction in chickpea (Cicer arietinum).
- PubMed: Modulation of radioligand binding to the GABA(A)-benzodiazepine receptor complex by a new component from Cyperus rotundus.
- PubMed: Chemical study of the essential oil of Cyperus rotundus.
- PubMed: Inhibitory effects of methanol extract of Cyperus rotundus rhizomes on nitric oxide and superoxide productions by murine macrophage cell line, RAW 264.7 cells.
- PubMed: Diuretic effects of selected Thai indigenous medicinal plants in rats.
- PubMed: Molecular markers for the characterization of Brazilian Cercospora caricis isolates.
- PubMed: The ameliorating effects of the cognitive-enhancing Chinese herbs on scopolamine-induced amnesia in rats.
- PubMed: Rotundines A-C, three novel sesquiterpene alkaloids from Cyperus rotundus.
- PubMed: Effect of feeding tagernut (Cyperus rotundus, L) meal on the performance of rabbits.
- PubMed: Antimalarial sesquiterpenes from tubers of Cyperus rotundus: structure of 10,12-peroxycalamenene, a sesquiterpene endoperoxide.
- PubMed: [Effects of the combination of Astragalus membranaceus (Fisch.) Bge. (AM), Angelica sinensis (Oliv.) Diels (TAS), Cyperus rotundus L. (CR), Ligusticum chuangxiong Hort (LC) and Peaonìa veitchii lynch (PV) on the hemorheological changes in "blood stagnating" rats].
- PubMed: [Revision on the type of leaf trace bundles of Cyperus rotundus L].
- PubMed: [Effects of the combination of Astragalus membranaceus (Fisch.) Bge. (AM), tail of Angelica sinensis (Oliv.) Diels. (TAS), Cyperus rotundus L. (CR), Ligusticum chuanxiong Hort. (LC) and Paeonia veitchii Lynch (PV) on the hemorrheological changes in normal rats].
- PubMed: Reduction of diet-induced obesity in rats with a herbal formulation.
- PubMed: [Studies on the medicinal plant in the "Sambutsu-cho" of Higo Province possessed by the Kumamoto clan (II): on the medicina herbs].
- PubMed: [Treatment of intestinal metaplasia and atypical hyperplasia of gastric mucosa with xiao wei yan powder].
- PubMed: Monitoring and assessment of mercury pollution in the vicinity of a chloralkali plant. IV. Bioconcentration of mercury in in situ aquatic and terrestrial plants at Ganjam, India.
- PubMed: [Studies on the medicinal plant in the "Sambutsu-cho" of Bungo Province possessed by the Kumamoto Clan (II); studies on the medicinal herbs].
- PubMed: Antimalarial compounds containing an alpha,beta-unsaturated carbonyl moiety from Tanzanian medicinal plants.
- PubMed: Antimalarial activity of Tanzanian medicinal plants.
- PubMed: Host Status of Seven Weed Species and Their Effects on Ditylenchus destructor Infestation of Peanut.
- PubMed: Volatile seed germination inhibitors from plant residues.
- PubMed: Effect of some medicinal plant preparations of adipose tissue metabolism.
- PubMed: Effect of Nagarmotha (Cyperus rotundus Linn) on reserpine-induced emesis in pigeons.
- PubMed: Xiphidorus amazonensis n. sp. (Nematoda: Longidoridae) from the Brazilian Amazon Basin.
- PubMed: Differential cold tolerance, starch, sugar, protein, and lipid of yellow and purple nutsedge tubers.
- PubMed: [Differences in the light-activation of NADP-dependent glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase and of ribulose-5-phosphate kinase between plants containing the Calvin and those containing the C4-dicarboxylic acid pathway of photosynthetic carbon reduction].
- PubMed: Pharmacological studies to isolate the active constituents from Cyperus rotundus possessing anti-inflammatory, anti-pyretic and analgesic activities.
- PubMed: Characterization of ferredoxin from nutsedge, Cyperus rotundus L., and other species with a high photosynthetic capacity.
- PubMed: A pharmacological study of Cyperus rotundus.
- PubMed: L-Tyrosine Oxidase System in Tuber of Nutsedge.
- PubMed: RESPONSE OF CYPERUS ROTUNDUS L. TO FIVE MOISTURE LEVELS.