Muhuhu (African Sandalwood) Essential Oil (Brachylaena huillensis)
Muhuhu (African Sandalwood) may also be referred to as African sandalwood, brachyleana hutchinsii. It is typically processed using steam or hydro distillation as a method for extracting oil from the heartwood.
- Aroma Description:
- Common Name(s): African sandalwood, brachyleana hutchinsii
Synonyms(s) for Brachylaena huillensis: Brachylaena hutchinsii, Brachylaena mullensis
- Botanical Family: Asteraceae
- Botanical Genus: Brachylaena
- Chemical Family: Aldehydes, Sesquiterpenes, Sesquiterpenols
- Perfumery Note: Base
- Indigenous Country: South Africa
- Cultivation: Wild Harvested
- Processing Methods: Steam or Hydro Distillation
- Part Typically Used: Heartwood
- Shelf Life: 6-8 years
- Wild Harvested
Benefits & Uses
Therapeutic Benefits of Muhuhu (African Sandalwood):
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities
Energetics and Chakras Qualites of Muhuhu (African Sandalwood):
1st Chakra - Survival and Support 2nd Chakra - Relationships 4th Chakra - Unconditional Love 6th Chakra - Perspective 7th Chakra - Higher Information Balancing Clarity Creation Energy Expansive Grounding Introspective Meditative Protective Source Energy
Muhuhu (African Sandalwood) Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: Protective Effect of Aframomum melegueta phenolics Against CCl4-Induced Rat Hepatocytes Damage; Role of Apoptosis and Pro-inflammatory Cytokines inhibition.
- PubMed: Evaluation of the In Vitro and In Vivo Antioxidant Potentials of Aframomum melegueta Methanolic Seed Extract.
- PubMed: Daily ingestion of grains of paradise (Aframomum melegueta) extract increases whole-body energy expenditure and decreases visceral fat in humans.
- PubMed: In vitro bactericidal activity of diterpenoids isolated from Aframomum melegueta K.Schum against strains of Escherichia coli, Listeria monocytogenes and Staphylococcus aureus.
- PubMed: Acute toxicity, biochemical and haematological study of Aframomum melegueta seed oil in male Wistar albino rats.
- PubMed: Antioxidant extracts of African medicinal plants induce cell cycle arrest and differentiation in B16F10 melanoma cells.
- PubMed: In situ morphometric characterization of Aframomum melegueta accessions in Ghana.
- PubMed: Characterization of the spectrum of insecticidal activity of a double-stranded RNA with targeted activity against Western Corn Rootworm (Diabrotica virgifera virgifera LeConte).
- PubMed: Grains of paradise (Aframomum melegueta) extract activates brown adipose tissue and increases whole-body energy expenditure in men.
- PubMed: Acetylcholinesterase (AChE) inhibitory activity, antioxidant properties and phenolic composition of two Aframomum species.
- PubMed: Ethnobotanical study of plants used in treating hypertension in Edo State of Nigeria.
- PubMed: Putative mycobacterial efflux inhibitors from the seeds of Aframomum melegueta.
- PubMed: Inhibition of key enzymes linked to type 2 diabetes and sodium nitroprusside-induced lipid peroxidation in rat pancreas by water extractable phytochemicals from some tropical spices.
- PubMed: Damnacanthal from the Congolese medicinal plant Garcinia huillensis has a potent preferential cytotoxicity against human pancreatic cancer PANC-1 cells.
- PubMed: Ghana's herbal market.
- PubMed: Spasmolytic effects of aqueous extract of mixture from Aframomumum melegueta (K Schum) - Citrus aurantifolia (Christm and Panzer) on isolated trachea from rat.
- PubMed: Hepatoprotective effect of aqueous extract of Aframomum melegueta on ethanol-induced toxicity in rats.
- PubMed: Screening for estrogenic and antiestrogenic activities of plants growing in Egypt and Thailand.
- PubMed: Effects of the aqueous extract of dry seeds of Aframomum melegueta on some parameters of the reproductive function of mature male rats.
- PubMed: Extract of grains of paradise and its active principle 6-paradol trigger thermogenesis of brown adipose tissue in rats.
- PubMed: Effect of aqueous extract of alligator pepper (Zingiberaceae aframomum melegueta) on gestational weight gain.
- PubMed: Effect of alligator pepper (Zingiberaceae aframomum melegueta) on first trimester pregnancy in Sprague Dawley rats.
- PubMed: In vitro inhibitory effect of West African medicinal and food plants on human cytochrome P450 3A subfamily.
- PubMed: Toxicological evaluation of grains of paradise (Aframomum melegueta) [Roscoe] K. Schum.
- PubMed: Behavioural responses of the maize weevil, Sitophilus zeamais, to host (stored-grain) and non-host plant volatiles.
- PubMed: Repellent activity of alligator pepper, Aframomum melegueta, and ginger, Zingiber officinale, against the maize weevil, Sitophilus zeamais.
- PubMed: Traditional management of tuberculosis in Ogun State of Nigeria: the practice and ethnobotanical survey.
- PubMed: Further pharmacological studies on aqueous seed extract of Aframomum melegueta in rats.
- PubMed: Some Nigerian plants of dermatologic importance.
- PubMed: Further studies on the antinociceptive action of aqueous seed extract of Aframomum melegueta.
- PubMed: Food of paradise: Tahitian breadfruit and the autocritique of European consumption.
- PubMed: Antimicrobial activity of some medicinal plants from Ghana.
- PubMed: Effects of Aframomum melegueta and Piper guineense on sexual behaviour of male rats.
- PubMed: Medicinal and ethnoveterinary remedies of hunters in Trinidad.