Mugwort Essential Oil (Artemisia herba-alba)
Mugwort may also be referred to as Artemesia Herba Alba. It is typically processed using steam or hydro distillation as a method for extracting oil from the flowering plant/herb.
- Aroma Description:
- Common Name(s): Artemesia Herba Alba
- Botanical Family: Asteraceae
- Botanical Genus: Artemisia
- Chemical Family: Ketones
- Perfumery Note: Middle
- Indigenous Country: Morocco
- Cultivation: Distiller is Certified Organic
- Processing Methods: Steam or Hydro Distillation
- Part Typically Used: Flowering plant/herb
- Shelf Life: 5 years
- Ethically and sustainably sourced
Benefits & Uses
Therapeutic Benefits of Mugwort:
Analgesic Anti-anxiety Anti-depressant Anti-parasitic Calming Carminative Cephalic Circulatory stimulant Diuretic Emmenagogic Nervine Stimulant Uterine tonic Vermifuge
Cautions & Safety
Safety Precautions for Mugwort:
Mugwort (Artemsia herba alba) is considered to be a neurotoxin if ingested. This is a very potent essential oil and should be used in very low dilutions. Mugwort (Artemesia herba alba) is both famous and infamous. Hazards: Expected to be mildly neurotoxic, based on thujone content. Contraindications (all routes): Pregnancy, breastfeeding. Maximum adult daily oral dose: 56 mg Maximum dermal use level: 2% 5Tisserand and Young Safety: Our oral and dermal restrictions are based on 20.8% camphor and 11.4% α-thujone content with limits of 2.0 mg/ kg and 4.5% for camphor and 0.1 mg/ kg and 0.25% for thujone
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities
Energetics and Chakras Qualites of Mugwort:
3rd Chakra - Personal Power 6th Chakra - Perspective 7th Chakra - Higher Information Clarity Energizing Expansive Meditative Protective
Mugwort Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: Artemisia herba-alba essential oil from Buseirah (South Jordan): Chemical characterization and assessment of safe antifungal and anti-inflammatory doses.
- PubMed: Effect of Centaurium erythraea Rafn, Artemisia herba-alba Asso and Trigonella foenum-graecum L. on liver fat accumulation in C57BL/6J mice with high-fat diet-induced type 2 diabetes.
- PubMed: Antidiabetic Effects of Aqueous Infusions of Artemisia herba-alba and Ajuga iva in Alloxan-Induced Diabetic Rats.
- PubMed: Comparative Phytochemical Analysis of Essential Oils from Different Biological Parts of Artemisia herba alba and Their Cytotoxic Effect on Cancer Cells.
- PubMed: Composition and anti-oxidant, anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory activities of Artemisia herba-alba, Ruta chalpensis L. and Peganum harmala L.
- PubMed: Terpenes from Artemisia herba-alba.
- PubMed: Relaxant Effect of Essential Oil of Artemisia herba-alba Asso. on Rodent Jejunum Contractions.
- PubMed: The antioxidant status and oxidative stability of muscle from lambs receiving oral administration of Artemisia herba alba and Rosmarinus officinalis essential oils.
- PubMed: Chemical composition and biological activities of the essential oil from Artemisia herba-alba growing wild in Tunisia.
- PubMed: Artemisia herba alba: a popular plant with potential medicinal properties.
- PubMed: Ex vivo effects of flavonoïds extracted from Artemisia herba alba on cytokines and nitric oxide production in Algerian patients with Adamantiades-Behçet's disease.
- PubMed: Composition and intraspecific chemical variability of the essential oil from Artemisia herba-alba growing wild in a Tunisian arid zone.
- PubMed: Artemisia herba-alba Asso relaxes the rat aorta through activation of NO/cGMP pathway and K(ATP) channels.
- PubMed: Activity of Six Essential Oils Extracted from Tunisian Plants against Legionella pneumophila.
- PubMed: Essential oil composition of Artemisia herba-alba from southern Tunisia.
- PubMed: An exceptional case of acute renal failure: is there a renal toxicity of Artemisia herba-alba?
- PubMed: Reproductive toxic effects of Artemisia herba alba ingestion in female Spague-Dawley rats.
- PubMed: Susceptibility of Bovans chicks to low dietary levels of Ammi visnaga and Artemisia herba-alba.
- PubMed: Some pharmacological studies on Artemisia herba-alba (Asso.) in rabbits and mice.
- PubMed: The anthelmintic efficacy of Artemisia herba-alba against Haemonchus contortus infection in goats.
- PubMed: Artemisia herba-alba Asso (Asteraceae) has equivalent effects to green and black tea decoctions on antioxidant processes and some metabolic parameters in rats.
- PubMed: Two flavonoids from Artemisia herba-alba Asso with in vitro GABAA-benzodiazepine receptor activity.
- PubMed: Effects of aqueous extracts from Quercus ilex L. root bark, Punica granatum L. fruit peel and Artemisia herba-alba Asso leaves on ethanol-induced gastric damage in rats.
- PubMed: Treatment of diabetes mellitus by Artemisia herba-alba extract: preliminary study.
- PubMed: Antibacterial activity of Artemisia herba-alba.
- PubMed: [In vitro evaluation of antileishmania activity of Artemisia herba alba Asso].
- PubMed: Comparative evaluation of the antimicrobial activity of 19 essential oils.
- PubMed: Cardiovascular effect of Artemisia herba alba aqueous extract in spontaneously hypertensive rats.
- PubMed: Hypoglycaemic effect of Artemisia herba alba. II. Effect of a valuable extract on some blood parameters in diabetic animals.
- PubMed: Hypoglycaemic effect of Artemisia herba alba. I. Effect of different parts and influence of the solvent on hypoglycaemic activity.
- PubMed: New Eudesmanolides Related to Torrentin from Artemisia herba-alba subsp. valentina.
- PubMed: Hypoglycemic activity of Artemisia herba alba.
- PubMed: Fungicidal activity of Artemisia herba alba Asso (Asteraceae).
- PubMed: Artemisia herba-alba Asso. in diabetes mellitus.
- PubMed: Artemisia herba-alba extract for treating Enterobius vermicularis infection.
- PubMed: Insecticidal properties and chemical composition of essential oils of some aromatic herbs from Morocco.
- PubMed: [White artemisia (Artemisia herba alba L.)].
- PubMed: Phytochemical investigation of Artemisia herba alba.
- PubMed: Valorization of essential oils from Moroccan aromatic plants.
- PubMed: Influence of experience on intake and feeding behavior of dairy sheep when offered forages from woody plants in a multiple-choice situation.
- PubMed: Ethnobotanical study of medicinal plants commonly used by local Bedouins in the Badia region of Jordan.
- PubMed: Effect of the dietary supplementation of essential oils from rosemary and artemisia on muscle fatty acids and volatile compound profiles in Barbarine lambs.
- PubMed: An ethnoveterinary study of medicinal plants in treatment of diseases and syndromes of herd dog in southern regions of Ilam province, Iran.
- PubMed: Attempts to separate (-)-α-thujone, (+)-β-thujone epimers from camphor enantiomers by enantioselective HPLC with polarimetric detection.
- PubMed: Ethnopharmacological survey of medicinal herbs in Jordan, the Northern Badia region.
- PubMed: Treatment of high fat diet induced type 2 diabetes in C57BL/6J mice by two medicinal plants used in traditional treatment of diabetes in the east of Algeria.
- PubMed: Ethnopharmacological survey of plants used in the traditional treatment of hypertension and diabetes in south-eastern Morocco (Errachidia province).
- PubMed: Screening of traditionally used Lebanese herbs for neurological activities.
- PubMed: Protective effects of selected medicinal plants against protein degradation, lipid peroxidation and deformability loss of oxidatively stressed human erythrocytes.
- PubMed: In vitro antimycoplasmal activity of six Jordanian medicinal plants against three Mycoplasma species.
- PubMed: Nitrogen fixers in the rhizosphere of certain desert plants.
- PubMed: Prevention of type 2 diabetes induced by high fat diet in the C57BL/6J mouse by two medicinal plants used in traditional treatment of diabetes in the east of Algeria.
- PubMed: Effect of ethnomedicinal plants used in folklore medicine in Jordan as antibiotic resistant inhibitors on Escherichia coli.
- PubMed: The efficacy of some wild medicinal plant extracts on the survival and development of third instar larvae of Chrysomyia albiceps (Wied) (Diptera: Calliphoridae).
- PubMed: Ethnopharmacological survey of wild medicinal plants in Showbak, Jordan.
- PubMed: Impacts of overgrazing in a long term traditional grazing ecosystem on vegetation around watering points in a semi-arid rangeland of North-Eastern Iran.
- PubMed: Cytotoxicity and gene induction by some essential oils in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
- PubMed: Antioxidant activity of some Jordanian medicinal plants used traditionally for treatment of diabetes.
- PubMed: Phytotherapy of hypertension and diabetes in oriental Morocco.
- PubMed: A preliminary classification of the healing potential of medicinal plants, based on a rational analysis of an ethnopharmacological field survey among Bedouins in the Negev desert, Israel.
- PubMed: Stomatal responses to changes in temperature at increasing water stress.
- PubMed: Antigenotoxic effects of three essential oils in diploid yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) after treatments with UVC radiation, 8-MOP plus UVA and MMS.
- PubMed: Inhibition of [methyl-3H]diazepam binding to rat brain membranes in vitro by dinatin and skrofulein.