Mastic Essential Oil (Pistacia lentiscus)
Mastic may also be referred to as mastic tree, chios mastictree, lentisk. It is typically processed using steam or hydro distillation as a method for extracting oil from the leaves, twigs/branches.
Balsamic Earthy Herbaceous Pungent Resinous Rich Slightly bitter Slightly musky Slightly spicy Strong Warm Woody
- Common Name(s): mastic tree, chios mastictree, lentisk
- Botanical Family: Anacardiaceae
- Botanical Genus: Pistacia
- Chemical Family: Monoterpenes
- Perfumery Note: Middle/Base
- Indigenous Country: Corsica
- Cultivation: Distiller is Certified Organic
- Processing Methods: Steam or Hydro Distillation
- Part Typically Used: Leaves, Twigs/Branches
- Shelf Life: 3 years
- Ethically and sustainably sourced
Benefits & Uses
Therapeutic Benefits of Mastic:
Analgesic Anti-bacterial Anti-cancer Anti-fungal Anti-inflammatory Anti-spasmodic Anti-viral Decongestant Lymph decongest Lymphatic support Tonifying Vein tonic
Cautions & Safety
Safety Precautions for Mastic:
Traditional Folklore of Mastic:
Mastic essential oil is known to be a lymphatic and circulatory decongestant. Because of its vaso-constricitng properties, Mastic is known to help with spider and varicose veins. There are some wonderful pain relieving benefits that Mastic essential oil possesses. The high monterpene content provide and analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect. Mastic essential oil is also wonderful for the respiratory system. It has an airborne anti-microbial action that is greatly needed when dealing with any respiratory issue. It can be used for bronchitis as well as colds and flu.
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities
Energetics and Chakras Qualites of Mastic:
1st Chakra - Survival and Support 2nd Chakra - Relationships 3rd Chakra - Personal Power Balancing Creation Energy Grounding Purifying Transformative
Mastic Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: LC-MS/MS Profiling of a Mastic Leaf Phenol Enriched Extract and Its Effects on H2O2 and Aβ(25-35) Oxidative Injury in SK-B-NE(C)-2 Cells.
- PubMed: Septoria-like pathogens causing leaf and fruit spot of pistachio.
- PubMed: Fungal diversity of saprotrophic litter fungi in a Mediterranean maquis environment.
- PubMed: Leaves of field-grown mastic trees suffer oxidative stress at the two extremes of their lifespan.
- PubMed: Interactive effects of UV radiation and water availability on seedlings of six woody Mediterranean species.
- PubMed: Exploring biodiversity in the bacterial community of the Mediterranean phyllosphere and its relationship with airborne bacteria.
- PubMed: The winter-red-leaf syndrome in Pistacia lentiscus: evidence that the anthocyanic phenotype suffers from nitrogen deficiency, low carboxylation efficiency and high risk of photoinhibition.
- PubMed: Phytotherapy in medieval Serbian medicine according to the pharmacological manuscripts of the Chilandar Medical Codex (15-16th centuries).
- PubMed: Response of Holm oak (Quercus ilex subsp. ballota) and mastic shrub (Pistacia lentiscus L.) seedlings to high concentrations of Cd and Tl in the rhizosphere.
- PubMed: Kinetic study on the inhibition of xanthine oxidase by extracts from two selected Algerian plants traditionally used for the treatment of inflammatory diseases.
- PubMed: Assessment of phylloplane yeasts on selected Mediterranean plants by FISH with group- and species-specific oligonucleotide probes.
- PubMed: Flavonoid content in leaf extracts of the fig (Ficus carica L.), carob (Ceratonia siliqua L.) and pistachio (Pistacia lentiscus L.).
- PubMed: Mercury accumulation in soils and plants in the Almadén mining district, Spain: one of the most contaminated sites on Earth.
- PubMed: Morpho-anatomical, physiological and biochemical adjustments in response to root zone salinity stress and high solar radiation in two Mediterranean evergreen shrubs, Myrtus communis and Pistacia lentiscus.
- PubMed: Bacterial colonization of the phyllosphere of mediterranean perennial species as influenced by leaf structural and chemical features.
- PubMed: In vitro antimycotic activity of some plant extracts towards yeast and yeast-like strains.
- PubMed: Effects of ozone on the foliar histology of the mastic plant (Pistacia lentiscus L.).
- PubMed: Water sources and water-use efficiency in mediterranean coastal dune vegetation.
- PubMed: Cavitation, stomatal conductance, and leaf dieback in seedlings of two co-occurring Mediterranean shrubs during an intense drought.
- PubMed: Photo- and antioxidative protection during summer leaf senescence in Pistacia lentiscus L. grown under Mediterranean field conditions.
- PubMed: Partitioning of water and nitrogen in co-occurring Mediterranean woody shrub species of different evolutionary history.
- PubMed: Chemical composition and antifungal properties of essential oils of three Pistacia species.
- PubMed: Estimation and diversity of phylloplane mycobiota on selected plants in a Mediterranean-type ecosystem in Portugal.
- PubMed: Photosynthetic responses to water deficit in six Mediterranean sclerophyll species: possible factors explaining the declining distribution of Rhamnus ludovici-salvatoris, an endemic Balearic species.
- PubMed: Identification and quantification of galloyl derivatives, flavonoid glycosides and anthocyanins in leaves of Pistacia lentiscus L.