Marjoram Essential Oil (Origanum majorana)
Marjoram may also be referred to as knotted marjoram, sweet marjoram, pot marjoram, marjoram. It is typically processed using steam distilled as a method for extracting oil from the leaves and flowers/buds.
Marjoram oil comes from the flowers and leaves of the Origanum majorana plant. It has a spicy, herbal scent.
- Aroma Description:
- Common Name(s): knotted marjoram, sweet marjoram, pot marjoram, marjoram
+ Expand- Collapse
Synonyms(s) for Origanum majorana: Amaracus majorana, Majorana cretica var. hortorum, Majorana dubia, Majorana fragrans, Majorana hortensis, Majorana majorana, Majorana mexicana, Majorana ovalifolia, Majorana ovatifolia, Majorana suffruticosa, Majorana tenuifolia, Majorana tenuifolia, Majorana uncinata, Majorana vulgaris, Origanum confertum, Origanum dubium, Origanum majorana var. majoranoides, Origanum majorana var. tenuifolium, Origanum majoranoides, Origanum odorum, Origanum salvifolium, Thymus majorana
- Botanical Family: Lamiaceae
- Botanical Genus: Origanum
- Chemical Family: Monoterpenes, Monoterpenols
- Major Compounds: Terpinen-4-ol, (Z)-Sabinene Hydrate, Linalyl Acetate, Gamma-Terpinene, a-Terpineol, (E)-Sabinene Hydrate
- Perfumery Note: Middle
- Consistency: Thin
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Medium
- Color: Clear to Faint Yellow
- Indigenous Country: Egypt
- Cultivation: Distiller is Certified Organic
- Processing Methods: Steam Distilled
- Part Typically Used: Leaves and Flowers/Buds
- Shelf Life: 5 years
- Ethically and sustainably sourced
- Not recommended or safe if pregnant or nursing
Benefits & Uses
May be benefitial for addressing the following ailments:
Aches Arthritis Asthma Feet : Tired & Aching Fever Hypertension (High Blood Pressure) Hypotension (Low Blood Pressure) Migraine Muscle Stiffness Nervous Conditions / Tension Obesity Poor Blood Circulation Stress Stretch Marks
Therapeutic Benefits of Marjoram:
Anti-bacterial Anti-cancer Anti-convulsant Anti-fungal Anti-inflammatory Anti-microbial Anti-oxidant Anti-spasmodic Anti-viral Calming Cicatrisant CNS depressant Hypotensive Immuno-stimulant
Cautions & Safety
Cautions when using Marjoram:
Don't use marjoram oil during pregnancy.
Tisserand and Young do not indicate any special precautions when using Sweet Marjoram Essential Oil. Reading Tisserand and Young's full profile is recommended. [Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young, Essential Oil Safety(Second Edition. United Kingdom: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier, 2014), 346-347.]
Safety Precautions for Marjoram:
Do not take any oils internally and do not apply undiluted essential oils, absolutes, CO2s or other concentrated essences onto the skin without advanced essential oil knowledge or consultation from a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. For general dilution information, read AromaWeb'sGuide to Diluting Essential Oils. If you are pregnant, epileptic, have liver damage, have cancer, or have any other medical problem, use oils only under the proper guidance of a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. Use extreme caution when using oils with children and be sure to first read the recommended dilution ratios for children. Consult a qualified aromatherapy practitioner before using oils with children, the elderly, if you have medical issues or are taking medications. Before using this or any essential oil, carefully read AromaWeb'sEssential Oil Safety Information page. For in-depth information on oil safety issues, readEssential Oil Safety by Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young.
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities
Energetics and Chakras Qualites of Marjoram:
4th Chakra - Unconditional Love 6th Chakra - Perspective Clarity Expansive Protective Purifying
Marjoram Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: Antimicrobial and antioxidant activities and chemical characterization of essential oils of Thymusvulgaris, Rosmarinusofficinalis, and Origanummajorana from northeastern México.
- PubMed: Effect of the ultrasound-assisted preliminary maceration on the efficiency of the essential oil distillation from selected herbal raw materials.
- PubMed: In Vitro Susceptibility of Brazilian Pythium insidiosum Isolates to Essential Oils of Some Lamiaceae Family Species.
- PubMed: Oxidative damage and nephrotoxicity induced by prallethrin in rat and the protective effect of Origanum majorana essential oil.
- PubMed: Clinical and mycological evaluation of an herbal antifungal formulation in canine Malassezia dermatitis.
- PubMed: Amelioration of prallethrin-induced oxidative stress and hepatotoxicity in rat by the administration of Origanum majorana essential oil.
- PubMed: Antimutagenic effect of Origanum majorana L. essential oil against prallethrin-induced genotoxic damage in rat bone marrow cells.
- PubMed: Efficacy of plant essential oils on postharvest control of rots caused by fungi on different stone fruits in vivo.
- PubMed: In vitro antibacterial effects of five volatile oil extracts against intramacrophage Brucella abortus 544.
- PubMed: Chemical diversity of wild growing Origanum majorana in Cyprus.
- PubMed: Modification of fatty acid, essential oil and phenolic contents of salt-treated sweet marjoram (Origanum majorana L.) according to developmental stage.
- PubMed: Culture conditions and salt effects on essential oil composition of sweet marjoram (Origanum majorana) from Tunisia.
- PubMed: Pain relief assessment by aromatic essential oil massage on outpatients with primary dysmenorrhea: a randomized, double-blind clinical trial.
- PubMed: Inhibitory effects of various essential oils and individual components against extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL) produced by Klebsiella pneumoniae and their chemical compositions.
- PubMed: Chemical composition and fumigant toxicity of some essential oils against Ephestia kuehniella.
- PubMed: Salt effects on Origanum majorana fatty acid and essential oil composition.
- PubMed: Free radical scavenging and antiacetylcholinesterase activities of Origanum majorana L. essential oil.
- PubMed: A novel wound healing ointment: a formulation of Hypericum perforatum oil and sage and oregano essential oils based on traditional Turkish knowledge.
- PubMed: An attempt of postharvest orange fruit rot control using essential oils from Mediterranean plants.
- PubMed: Chemical composition and antioxidant and anti-Listeria activities of essential oils obtained from some Egyptian plants.
- PubMed: Matrix solid-phase dispersion (MSPD) in chromatographic analysis of essential oils in herbs.
- PubMed: [Antioxidant properties of essential oils].
- PubMed: Seasonal variation in the essential oil composition of Origanum majorana L. cultivated in Egypt.
- PubMed: Protective Effect of Origanum majorana L. 'Marjoram' on various models of gastric mucosal injury in rats.
- PubMed: Ovicidal and adulticidal activities of Origanum majorana essential oil constituents against insecticide-susceptible and pyrethroid/malathion-resistant Pediculus humanus capitis (Anoplura: Pediculidae).
- PubMed: RAPD-based method for the quality control of Mediterranean oregano and its contribution to pharmacognostic techniques.
- PubMed: Identification and characterization of simple sequence repeat markers from a glandular Origanum vulgare expressed sequence tag.
- PubMed: Application of Origanum majorana L. essential oil as an antimicrobial agent in sausage.
- PubMed: Effects of marjoram volatile oil and grape seed extract on ethanol toxicity in male rats.
- PubMed: Comparison of different extraction methods for the determination of essential oils and related compounds from aromatic plants and optimization of solid-phase microextraction/gas chromatography.
- PubMed: Antimicrobial activity of some essential oils against microorganisms deteriorating fruit juices.
- PubMed: Antimicrobial effects of selected plant essential oils on the growth of a Pseudomonas putida strain isolated from meat.
- PubMed: Vapor phase toxicity of marjoram oil compounds and their related monoterpenoids to Blattella germanica (Orthoptera: Blattellidae).
- PubMed: Protective effect of volatile oil, alcoholic and aqueous extracts of Origanum majorana on lead acetate toxicity in mice.
- PubMed: Antimicrobial activity of five essential oils against origin strains of the Enterobacteriaceae family.
- PubMed: [Changes in the composition of the essential oil in stored marjoram].
- PubMed: The effects of temperature and pressure on the characteristics of the extracts from high-pressure CO(2) extraction of Majorana hortensis Moench.
- PubMed: GC-MS analysis of essential oils from some Greek aromatic plants and their fungitoxicity on Penicillium digitatum.
- PubMed: Monoterpenes in the essential oil of Origanum majorana.
- PubMed: Effect of Majorana hortensis oil on metamorphosis of Aedes aegypti.
- PubMed: Site of Monoterpene Biosynthesis in Majorana hortensis Leaves.
- PubMed: Effects of some growth hormones on plant vigour and volatile oil of Origanum majorana L.
- PubMed: The effect of CMH on growth, volatile oil, and carbohydrate content on Majorana hortensis Mnch. prior and after cutting.
- PubMed: The seasonal variations of growth and volatile oil in the two introduced types of Majorana hortensis Mnch., grown in Egypt.
- PubMed: [Studies of the daily rhythm of etheric oils. 2. Daily fluctuations of the content of etheric oil in Majorana hortensis Moench].
- PubMed: [The influence of nitrogen, phosphoric acid and potash on the yield and content of volatile oil in marjoram (Majorana hortensis Moench). II].