Dalmatian Sage Essential Oil (Salvia officinalis)
Dalmatian Sage may also be referred to as Common sage or garden sage. It is typically processed using steam or hydro distillation as a method for extracting oil from the leaves and flowers/buds.
Dalmatian Sage Essential Oil is also known as Common Sage Essential Oil.
Essential oil that is steam distilled specifically from the plantSalvia officinalis is referred to by several common names including Common Sage, and Dalmatian Sage. Typically, when someone simply refers to Sage Essential Oil (as I will continue to do so within this profile), he/she generally is referring to the oil of Salvia officinalis, the oil that is profiled here. However, it's always best to verify by confirming the botanical name of the specific "sage" essential oil that you are working with or considering for purchase. Greek Sage Essential Oil, Spanish Sage Essential Oil and Clary Sage Essential Oil are also available, and the composition and safety guidelines for each varies.
- Aroma Description:
- Common Name(s): Common sage or garden sage
- Botanical Family: Lamiaceae
- Botanical Genus: Salvia
- Chemical Family: Ketones
- Major Compounds: Camphor, a-Thujone, Borneol, 1,8-Cineole, B-Thujone, B-Caryophyllene
- Perfumery Note: Middle/Base
- Consistency: Medium
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Strong
- Color: Clear
- Indigenous Country: Albania
- Cultivation: Distiller is Certified Organic
- Processing Methods: Steam or Hydro Distillation
- Part Typically Used: Leaves and Flowers/Buds
- Shelf Life: 5 years
[LC] Least Concern
- Not recommended or safe if pregnant or nursing
- Not recommend or safe for children
Benefits & Uses
May be benefitial for addressing the following ailments:
Aches Emotional Crisis Exhaustion Fatigue Headache Indigestion Menstruation : Cramp ( Dysmenorrhea ) Muscular aches and pains Nervous Conditions / Tension Sore Throat Spots ( Acne )
Therapeutic Benefits of Dalmatian Sage:
Cautions & Safety
Cautions when using Dalmatian Sage:
High thujone content. Use sparingly and with extreme caution. Spanish Sage Essential Oils somewhat safer to work with. Tisserand and Young warn of the possibility of neurotoxicity. Avoid Sage Oil in pregnancy and breastfeeding. They recommend a dermal maximum of 0.4%. Reading Tisserand and Young's full profile is recommended. [Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young, Essential Oil Safety (Second Edition. United Kingdom: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier, 2014), 414.]
This essential oil poses a higher risk of causing irritation and sensitization when used in the bath. Avoid using it in the bath, even if it is solubilized/diluted.
Safety Precautions for Dalmatian Sage:
Do not take any oils internally and do not apply undiluted essential oils, absolutes, CO2s or other concentrated essences onto the skin without advanced essential oil knowledge or consultation from a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. If you are pregnant, epileptic, have liver damage, have cancer, or have any other medical problem, use oils only under the proper guidance of a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. Use extreme caution when using oils with children and be sure to first read the recommended dilution ratios for children. Consult a qualified aromatherapy practitioner before using oils with children, the elderly, if you have medical issues or are taking medications. For in-depth information on oil safety issues, read Essential Oil Safety by Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young.
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities
Energetics and Chakras Qualites of Dalmatian Sage:
2nd Chakra - Relationships 3rd Chakra - Personal Power 7th Chakra - Higher Information Clarity Creation Energy Energizing Meditative Protective Purifying Transformative
Dalmatian Sage Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: In vitro effects of Salvia officinalis L. essential oil on Candida albicans.
- PubMed: Formulation of sage essential oil (Salvia officinalis, L.) monoterpenes into chitosan hydrogels and permeation study with GC-MS analysis.
- PubMed: [Anticancer activity of Salvia officinalis essential oil against HNSCC cell line (UMSCC1)].
- PubMed: Antibacterial, allelopathic and antioxidant activities of essential oil of Salvia officinalis L. growing wild in the Atlas Mountains of Morocco.
- PubMed: Chemotype diversity of indigenous Dalmatian sage (Salvia officinalis L.) populations in Montenegro.
- PubMed: High diversity of indigenous populations of dalmatian sage (Salvia officinalis L.) in essential-oil composition.
- PubMed: Essential oil of common sage (Salvia officinalis L.) from Jordan: assessment of safety in mammalian cells and its antifungal and anti-inflammatory potential.
- PubMed: Chemical composition and anticancer activity of essential oils of Mediterranean sage (Salvia officinalis L.) grown in different environmental conditions.
- PubMed: Epileptic seizures caused by accidental ingestion of sage (Salvia officinalis L.) oil in children: a rare, exceptional case or a threat to public health?
- PubMed: GC-MS analysis of essential oils from Salvia officinalis L.: comparison of extraction methods of the volatile components.
- PubMed: A simple and efficient DNA isolation method for Salvia officinalis.
- PubMed: Seasonal influence on gene expression of monoterpene synthases in Salvia officinalis (Lamiaceae).
- PubMed: Antioxidant activity and sensory evaluation of a rosmarinic acid-enriched extract of Salvia officinalis.
- PubMed: Influence of ionic interactions on essential oil and phenolic diterpene composition of Dalmatian sage (Salvia officinalis L.).
- PubMed: Effects of foliar fertilization and arbuscular mycorrhizal colonization on Salvia officinalis L. growth, antioxidant capacity, and essential oil composition.
- PubMed: Toxicity of Salvia officinalis in a newborn and a child: an alarming report.
- PubMed: Influence of gibberellin and daminozide on the expression of terpene synthases and on monoterpenes in common sage (Salvia officinalis).
- PubMed: Chemical composition of the essential oil of Salvia officinalis L. from Romania.
- PubMed: Salvia officinalis L. essential oils: effect of hydrodistillation time on the chemical composition, antioxidant and antimicrobial activities.
- PubMed: Variations in essential oil, phenolic compounds, and antioxidant activity of tunisian cultivated Salvia officinalis L.
- PubMed: Comparative evaluation of antioxidant and insecticidal properties of essential oils from five Moroccan aromatic herbs.
- PubMed: Reliable identification and quantification of volatile components of sage essential oil using ultra HRGC.
- PubMed: Chemical and genetic relationships among sage ( Salvia officinalis L.) cultivars and Judean sage ( Salvia judaica Boiss.).
- PubMed: Effects of PAR and UV-B radiation on herbal yield, bioactive compounds and their antioxidant capacity of some medicinal plants under controlled environmental conditions.
- PubMed: Immunomodulatory activity of Zingiber officinale Roscoe, Salvia officinalis L. and Syzygium aromaticum L. essential oils: evidence for humor- and cell-mediated responses.
- PubMed: Composition of the essential oil of Salvia officinalis L. from various European countries.
- PubMed: Antioxidant activity of chemical components from sage (Salvia officinalis L.) and thyme (Thymus vulgaris L.) measured by the oil stability index method.
- PubMed: Antimutagenic effect of essential oil of sage (Salvia officinalis L.) and its monoterpenes against UV-induced mutations in Escherichia coli and Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
- PubMed: Effects of Salvia officinalis L. extract on experimental acute inflammation.
- PubMed: A direct liquid, non-equilibrium solid-phase micro-extraction application for analysing chemical variation of single peltate trichomes on leaves of Salvia officinalis.
- PubMed: Dynamics of yield components and essential oil production in a commercial hybrid sage (Salvia officinalis x Salvia fruticosa cv. Newe Ya'ar no. 4).
- PubMed: Tunisian Salvia officinalis L. and Schinus molle L. essential oils: their chemical compositions and their preservative effects against Salmonella inoculated in minced beef meat.
- PubMed: Empirical prediction and validation of antibacterial inhibitory effects of various plant essential oils on common pathogenic bacteria.
- PubMed: Growth performance and antioxidant enzyme activities in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) juveniles fed diets supplemented with sage, mint and thyme oils.
- PubMed: Rapid screening of antioxidant activity of sage (Salvia officinalis L.) extracts obtained by supercritical carbon dioxide at different extraction conditions.
- PubMed: Antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of rosemary and sage (Rosmarinus officinalis L. and Salvia officinalis L., Lamiaceae) essential oils.
- PubMed: Capillary gas chromatography-mass spectrometry of volatile and semi-volatile compounds of Salvia officinalis.
- PubMed: Evaluating the antimicrobial activity of commercially available herbal toothpastes on microorganisms associated with diabetes mellitus.
- PubMed: Development and Essential Oil Content of Secretory Glands of Sage (Salvia officinalis).
- PubMed: [Chemical diversity of the biological active ingredients of salvia officinalis and some closely related species].
- PubMed: Evaluation of toxic/protective effects of the essential oil of Salvia officinalis on freshly isolated rat hepatocytes.
- PubMed: Metformin-like effect of Salvia officinalis (common sage): is it useful in diabetes prevention?
- PubMed: Antimutagenic effects of extracts from sage (Salvia officinalis) in mammalian system in vivo.
- PubMed: Organ- and season-dependent variation in the essential oil composition of Salvia officinalis L. cultivated at two different sites.
- PubMed: Analysis and evaluation of antibacterial effects of new herbal formulas, AP-001 and AP-002, against Escherichia coli O157:H7.
- PubMed: Systematic review of clinical trials assessing pharmacological properties of Salvia species on memory, cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease.
- PubMed: [Effect of mineral fertilizers on the development of sage (Salvia officinalis L.) and on its oil content].
- PubMed: [Diurnal variations of the active constituents of medicinal plants. III. Daily periodicity of the volatile oil content in the leaves of Salvia officinalis].
- PubMed: [Oxytriterpenic acids of sage oil. 9. Constituents of Salvia officinalis L..].
- PubMed: In vitro effects of some herbs used in Egyptian traditional medicine on viability of protoscolices of hydatid cysts.
- PubMed: Evaluation of cholinesterase inhibitory and antioxidant activities of wild and cultivated samples of sage (Salvia fruticosa) by activity-guided fractionation.
- PubMed: The inhibition the Tet(K) efflux pump of tetracycline resistant Staphylococcus epidermidis by essential oils from three Salvia species.
- PubMed: Effect of Salvia officinalis L. leaves on serum glucose and insulin in healthy and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats.
- PubMed: Essential oils from dalmatian sage (Salvia officinalis l.): variations among individuals, plant parts, seasons, and sites.
- PubMed: Chemical composition and biological activity of four salvia essential oils and individual compounds against two species of mosquitoes.
- PubMed: Comprehensive two-dimensional chromatography with coupling of reversed phase high performance liquid chromatography and supercritical fluid chromatography.
- PubMed: [Salvia officinalis l. I. Botanic characteristics, composition, use and cultivation].
- PubMed: Antibacterial effects of the essential oils of commonly consumed medicinal herbs using an in vitro model.
- PubMed: Metabolism of monoterpenes: lactonization of (+)-camphor and conversion of the corresponding hydroxy acid to the glucoside-glucose ester in sage (Salvia officinalis).
- PubMed: Topical anti-inflammatory activity of Salvia officinalis L. leaves: the relevance of ursolic acid.
- PubMed: Antioxidant activity of sweetgrass (Hierochloë odorata Wahlnb.) extract in lard and rapeseed oil emulsions.
- PubMed: Metabolism of Monoterpenes : Metabolic Fate of (+)-Camphor in Sage (Salvia officinalis).
- PubMed: In Vitro Antibacterial and Antibiotic Resistance Modifying Effect of Bioactive Plant Extracts on Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus epidermidis.
- PubMed: Induction and Characterization of a Cytochrome P-450-Dependent Camphor Hydroxylase in Tissue Cultures of Common Sage (Salvia officinalis).
- PubMed: Relationship of Camphor Biosynthesis to Leaf Development in Sage (Salvia officinalis).
- PubMed: Antibacterial activity against Clostridium genus and antiradical activity of the essential oils from different origin.
- PubMed: Antioxidant activities of rosemary, sage, and sumac extracts and their combinations on stability of natural peanut oil.
- PubMed: Efficacy of plant essential oils on postharvest control of rots caused by fungi on different stone fruits in vivo.
- PubMed: Study on the combined effects of essential oils on microbiological quality of Fior di Latte cheese.
- PubMed: α-Terpineol induces fatty liver in mice mediated by the AMP-activated kinase and sterol response element binding protein pathway.
- PubMed: Chemical composition of essential oil and leaf anatomy of Salvia bertolonii Vis. and Salvia pratensis L. (Sect. Plethiosphace, Lamiaceae).
- PubMed: In vitro study on the transfer of volatile oil components.
- PubMed: Monoterpenoid extract of sage (Salvia lavandulaefolia) with cholinesterase inhibiting properties improves cognitive performance and mood in healthy adults.
- PubMed: The effect of herbicides on the qualitative properties of healing plants. Part 2: Content and composition of the essential oil from Salvia officinal is L. after application of Afalon 50 WP.
- PubMed: Morphological characterisation and agronomical parameters of different species of Salvia sp. (Lamiaceae).
- PubMed: Carnosic acid, a new class of lipid absorption inhibitor from sage.
- PubMed: The efficacy of a herbal-based toothpaste in the control of plaque and gingivitis: a clinico-biochemical study.
- PubMed: Positive modulation of mood and cognitive performance following administration of acute doses of Salvia lavandulaefolia essential oil to healthy young volunteers.
- PubMed: Assessment of the antioxidant potential of selected plant extracts--in vitro and in vivo experiments on pork.
- PubMed: An attempt of postharvest orange fruit rot control using essential oils from Mediterranean plants.
- PubMed: Chromatographic (GC-MS, HPLC) and virological evaluations of Salvia sclarea infected by BBWV-I.
- PubMed: Characterization of essential oils from lamiaceae species by fourier transform Raman spectroscopy.
- PubMed: Matrix solid-phase dispersion (MSPD) in chromatographic analysis of essential oils in herbs.
- PubMed: Antioxidant activities and phenolic composition of extracts from Greek oregano, Greek sage, and summer savory.
- PubMed: The psychopharmacology of European herbs with cognition-enhancing properties.
- PubMed: Performance of phytochemical antioxidant systems in refined-bleached-deodorized palm olein during frying.
- PubMed: Nematicidal activity of essential oils and volatiles derived from Portuguese aromatic flora against the pinewood nematode, Bursaphelenchus xylophilus.
- PubMed: Phytochemical analysis and in vitro antiviral activities of the essential oils of seven Lebanon species.
- PubMed: [Influence of extraction methods on the composition of essential oils].
- PubMed: Activity of essential oils from Mediterranean Lamiaceae species against food spoilage yeasts.
- PubMed: [Plant anatomical and phytochemical evaluation of Salvia species].
- PubMed: In vitro activity of essential oils extracted from plants used as spices against fluconazole-resistant and fluconazole-susceptible Candida spp.
- PubMed: The in vitro screening for acetylcholinesterase inhibition and antioxidant activity of medicinal plants from Portugal.
- PubMed: Effects of borneol and thymoquinone on TNBS-induced colitis in mice.
- PubMed: Cytotoxic activity of essential oils from labiatae and lauraceae families against in vitro human tumor models.
- PubMed: Studies on the genotoxic properties of essential oils with Bacillus subtilis rec-assay and Salmonella/microsome reversion assay.
- PubMed: Isolation and characterization of an active-site peptide from a monoterpene cyclase labeled with a mechanism-based inhibitor.
- PubMed: Clomazone does not inhibit the conversion of isopentenyl pyrophosphate to geranyl, farnesyl, or geranylgeranyl pyrophosphate in vitro.
- PubMed: Comparison of different extraction methods for the determination of essential oils and related compounds from aromatic plants and optimization of solid-phase microextraction/gas chromatography.