Cypress Essential Oil (Cupressus sempervirens)
It is typically processed using steam distilled as a method for extracting oil from the needles.
Cypress oil comes from the needles and cones of Cupressus sempervirens trees. It has a woody scent and an astringent effect.
Aromatically, the woody aroma of Cypress Essential Oil blends well with a number of essential oils including other woody oils, mint oils, the citrus oils, especially grapefruit, and it is beautiful when blended in low dilution with florals.
- Aroma Description:
Synonyms(s) for Cupressus sempervirens: Cupressus elongata, Cupressus horizontalis, Cupressus horizontalis var. pendula, Cupressus patula, Cupressus sempervirens f. horizontalis, Cupressus sempervirens subsp. horizontalis, Cupressus sempervirens var. horizontalis, Cupressus sempervirens var. numidica
- Botanical Family: Cupressaceae
- Botanical Genus: Cupressus
- Chemical Family: Monoterpenes
- Major Compounds: a-Pinene, delta-3-Carene, Cedrol, a-Terpinyl acetate, Terpinolene, (+)-Limonene
- Perfumery Note: Middle
- Consistency: Thin
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Medium
- Color: Pale Yellow
- Indigenous Country: Spain
- Cultivation: Distiller is Certified Organic
- Processing Methods: Steam Distilled
- Part Typically Used: Needles
- Shelf Life: 3 years
[LC] Least Concern
Benefits & Uses
May be benefitial for addressing the following ailments:
Aches Asthma Athlete's Foot Colic Coughs Deodorant Depression Gynaecological Conditions Menstruation : Cramp ( Dysmenorrhea ) Menstruation : Excess ( Menorrhagia ) Skin : Sweaty Sore Throat Sweaty Feet Swellings Tantrums Varicose Veins Water Retention
Therapeutic Benefits of Cypress:
Anti-bacterial Anti-infectious Anti-inflammatory Anti-rheumatic Anti-septic Anti-spasmodic Astringent Cicatrisant Decongestant Diuretic Vein tonic
Bergamot Mint Cypress Grapefruit Lemon Mandarin Orange, Sweet Sandalwood
Cautions & Safety
Cautions when using Cypress:
Don't use Cypress oil if you suffer from hypertension (high blood pressure).
Tisserand and Young do not indicate any known hazards for Cypress Oil. However, they precaution to avoid use of the oil topically if it has oxidized as skin sensitization is more likely. Reading Tisserand and Young's full profile is recommended. [Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young, Essential Oil Safety (Second Edition. United Kingdom: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier, 2014), 265.]
Safety Precautions for Cypress:
Do not take any oils internally and do not apply undiluted essential oils, absolutes, CO2s or other concentrated essences onto the skin without advanced essential oil knowledge or consultation from a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. If you are pregnant, epileptic, have liver damage, have cancer, or have any other medical problem, use oils only under the proper guidance of a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. Use extreme caution when using oils with children and be sure to first read the recommended dilution ratios for children. Consult a qualified aromatherapy practitioner before using oils with children, the elderly, if you have medical issues or are taking medications. For in-depth information on oil safety issues, read Essential Oil Safety by Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young.
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities
Energetics and Chakras Qualites of Cypress:
4th Chakra - Unconditional Love 6th Chakra - Perspective 7th Chakra - Higher Information Clarity Expansive Purifying Transformative
Cypress Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: Antiproliferative, Antifungal, and Antibacterial Activities of Endophytic Alternaria Species from Cupressaceae.
- PubMed: Novel merosesquiterpene exerts a potent antitumor activity against breast cancer cells in vitro and in vivo.
- PubMed: Labda-8(17),12,14-trien-19-oic Acid Contained in Fruits of Cupressus sempervirens Suppresses Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia in Rat and In Vitro Human Models Through Inhibition of Androgen and STAT-3 Signaling.
- PubMed: [Cypress pollen allergy].
- PubMed: In-vitro Antimicrobial Activities of Some Iranian Conifers.
- PubMed: Molecular detection assay of the bud mite Trisetacus juniperinus on Cupressus sempervirens in nurseries of central Italy.
- PubMed: Essential-oil composition of the Tunisian endemic cypress (Cupressus sempervirens L. var. numidica TRAB.).
- PubMed: Flammability of some ornamental species in wildland-urban interfaces in southeastern France: laboratory assessment at particle level.
- PubMed: Description of a new relict eriophyoid mite, Loboquintus subsquamatus n. gen. & n. sp. (Eriophyoidea, Phytoptidae, Pentasetacini) based on confocal microscopy, SEM, COI barcoding and novel CLSM anatomy of internal genitalia.
- PubMed: Relevance of the Sea Sand Disruption Method (SSDM) for the biometrical differentiation of the essential-oil composition from conifers.
- PubMed: The skin prick test - European standards.
- PubMed: Extraction of essential oil from Cupressus sempervirens: comparison of global yields, chemical composition and antioxidant activity obtained by hydrodistillation and supercritical extraction.
- PubMed: Essential oil composition, adult repellency and larvicidal activity of eight Cupressaceae species from Greece against Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae).
- PubMed: Chemical analysis and biological activities of Cupressus sempervirens var. horizontalis essential oils.
- PubMed: Leaf plasticity to light intensity in Italian cypress (Cupressus sempervirens L.): adaptability of a Mediterranean conifer cultivated in the Alps.
- PubMed: Allergomic study of cypress pollen via combinatorial peptide ligand libraries.
- PubMed: Identification of the plant origin of the botanical biomarkers of Mediterranean type propolis.
- PubMed: Ephedra alte (joint pine): an invasive, problematic weedy species in forestry and fruit tree orchards in Jordan.
- PubMed: The loss of essential oil components induced by the Purge Time in the Pressurized Liquid Extraction (PLE) procedure of Cupressus sempervirens.
- PubMed: In vitro antiplasmodial, antileishmanial and antitrypanosomal activities of selected medicinal plants used in the traditional Arabian Peninsular region.
- PubMed: Differential IgE sensitization to cypress pollen associated to a basic allergen of 14 kDa.
- PubMed: Proteomics of cypress pollen allergens using double and triple one-dimensional electrophoresis.
- PubMed: Arthrobacter cupressi sp. nov., an actinomycete isolated from the rhizosphere soil of Cupressus sempervirens.
- PubMed: Batch and dynamic biosorption of basic dyes from binary solutions by alkaline-treated cypress cone chips.
- PubMed: Structural characterization of the O-chain polysaccharide from an environmentally beneficial bacterium Pseudomonas chlororaphis subsp. aureofaciens strain M71.
- PubMed: Prevalence and real clinical impact of Cupressus sempervirens and Juniperus communis sensitisations in Tuscan "Maremma", Italy.
- PubMed: Linkage mapping of the Mediterranean cypress, Cupressus sempervirens, based on molecular and morphological markers.
- PubMed: Antioxidant and antiacetylcholinesterase activities of some commercial essential oils and their major compounds.
- PubMed: Protective role of Juniperus phoenicea and Cupressus sempervirens against CCl(4).
- PubMed: Pollen proteases compromise the airway epithelial barrier through degradation of transmembrane adhesion proteins and lung bioactive peptides.
- PubMed: Rhizosphere dynamics during phytoremediation of olive mill wastewater.
- PubMed: Effectiveness of Cupressus sempervirens cones as biosorbent for the removal of basic dyes from aqueous solutions in batch and dynamic modes.
- PubMed: Biodegradable gelatin-chitosan films incorporated with essential oils as antimicrobial agents for fish preservation.
- PubMed: Cypress pollen does not cross-react to plant-derived foods.
- PubMed: Biomonitoring of chemical elements in an urban environment using arboreal and bush plant species.
- PubMed: 8,8''-Biapigeninyl stimulates osteoblast functions and inhibits osteoclast and adipocyte functions: Osteoprotective action of 8,8''-biapigeninyl in ovariectomized mice.
- PubMed: Barriopsis iraniana and Phaeobotryon cupressi: two new species of the Botryosphaeriaceae from trees in Iran.
- PubMed: An insight into some relevant aspects concerning eriophyoid mites inhabiting forests, ornamental trees and shrubs.
- PubMed: Molecular evidence for the natural production of homozygous Cupressus sempervirens L. lines by Cupressus dupreziana seed trees.
- PubMed: Constituents from fruits of Cupressus sempervirens.
- PubMed: Molecular and morphological characterization of Dothiorella casuarini sp. nov. and other Botryosphaeriaceae with diplodia-like conidia.
- PubMed: Allergenicity and cross-reactivity of pine pollen.
- PubMed: Evaluation of the in vitro anticancer, antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of some Yemeni plants used in folk medicine.
- PubMed: Is Cupressus sempervirens native in Italy? An answer from genetic and palaeobotanical data.
- PubMed: Genotype-specific regulation of cold-responsive genes in cypress (Cupressus sempervirens L.).
- PubMed: Antiproliferative effects of essential oils and their major constituents in human renal adenocarcinoma and amelanotic melanoma cells.
- PubMed: Selection of woody species for wastewater enhancement and restoration of riparian woodlands.
- PubMed: The Cypress aphids in the South of France.
- PubMed: In vitro antimicrobial activity and antagonistic effect of essential oils from plant species.
- PubMed: Prevalence of cypress pollen sensitization and its clinical importance in Izmir, Turkey, with cypress allergy assessed by nasal provocation.
- PubMed: Phytochemical analysis and in vitro antiviral activities of the essential oils of seven Lebanon species.
- PubMed: Phytochemical investigation and hepatoprotective activity of Cupressus sempervirens L. leaves growing in Egypt.
- PubMed: Anticoagulant effect of Cupressus sempervirens.
- PubMed: Growth and survival response of potted Cupressus sempervirens seedlings to different soils.
- PubMed: Safety and efficacy of Juniperus ashei sublingual-swallow ultra-rush pollen immunotherapy in cypress rhinoconjunctivitis. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study.
- PubMed: Identification of italian cypress (Cupressus sempervirens) pollen allergen Cup s 3 using homology and cross-reactivity.
- PubMed: Mechanical stability of trees under dynamic loads.
- PubMed: Ritual plants of Muslim graveyards in northern Israel.
- PubMed: Occupational respiratory allergy to cyclamen pollen: a case report.
- PubMed: Chemical and biological characterisation of sapinopyridione, a phytotoxic 3,3,6-trisubstituted-2,4-pyridione produced by Sphaeropsis sapinea, a toxigenic pathogen of native and exotic conifers, and its derivatives.
- PubMed: Comparative screening of plant essential oils: phenylpropanoid moiety as basic core for antiplatelet activity.
- PubMed: Photoinhibition of photosynthesis in needles of two cypress (Cupressus sempervirens) clones.
- PubMed: Efficacy of sublingual coseasonal immunotherapy with a monomeric allergoid in Cupressaceae pollen allergy--preliminary data.
- PubMed: In vitro antimycotic activity of some plant extracts towards yeast and yeast-like strains.
- PubMed: Allergy to cypress pollen.
- PubMed: Quantification assay for the major allergen of Cupressus sempervirens pollen, Cup s 1, by sandwich ELISA.
- PubMed: Use of pruning waste compost as a component in soilless growing media.
- PubMed: Asthma induced by canary food mix.
- PubMed: An epidemiological survey of Cupressaceae pollenosis in Italy.
- PubMed: Effects of Cupressus sempervirens cone extract on lipid parameters in Wistar rats.
- PubMed: Susceptibility of cypress seedlings to the eriophyoid mite Trisetacus juniperinus.
- PubMed: Damping-off in conifer seedling nurseries in Noshahr and Kelardasht.
- PubMed: Characterization of the developmental stages of cypress zygotic embryos by two-dimensional electrophoresis and by cytochemistry.
- PubMed: Sphaeropsidins D and E, two other pimarane diterpenes, produced in vitro by the plant pathogenic fungus Sphaeropsis sapinea f. sp. cupressi.
- PubMed: Efficacy of sublingual specific immunotherapy in Cupressaceae allergy using an extract of Cupressus arizonica. A double blind study.
- PubMed: Prevalence of sensitization to Cupressus sempervirens: a 4-year retrospective study.
- PubMed: How to reduce air pollution by Cupressus pollen?
- PubMed: [Juniperus ashei: the gold standard of the Cuppressaceae].
- PubMed: [Allergy to cypress pollen: preparation of a reference and standardization extract in vivo].
- PubMed: Environment and sensitization to cypress in Israel.
- PubMed: Efficient transmission of an introduced pathogen via an ancient insect-fungus association
- PubMed: Two-dimensional electrophoretic analysis of proteins associated with somatic embryogenesis development in Cupressus sempervirens L.
- PubMed: Sapinofuranones A and B, two new 2(3H)-dihydrofuranones produced by sphaeropsis sapinea, a common pathogen of conifers
- PubMed: Respiratory allergy to Cupressus sempervirens in Rome.
- PubMed: Double-blind placebo controlled specific immunotherapy with mixed Cupressaceae taxodiaceae pollens in respiratory allergy to Cupressus sempervirens.
- PubMed: Cross-reactivity between Cupressus arizonica and Cupressus sempervirens pollen extracts.
- PubMed: Assessment of skin prick test and serum specific IgE detection in the diagnosis of Cupressaceae pollinosis.
- PubMed: Podocarpus gracilior and Callitris verrucosa--newly identified allergens that crossreact with Cupressus sempervirens.
- PubMed: [The interaction of Cupressus sempervirens L. proanthocyanidolic oligomers with elastase and elastins].
- PubMed: Cypress pollen allergy. Identification of allergens and crossreactivity between divergent species.
- PubMed: Prevalence of patent and latent atopy among a general normal adult population in the south east of France by RAST investigation and correlation with circulating total IgE levels.
- PubMed: Airborne Cupressaceae pollen in southern Italy.
- PubMed: Epitopes on Cry j I and Cry j II for the human IgE antibodies cross-reactive between Cupressus sempervirens and Cryptomeria japonica pollen.
- PubMed: Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens) pollen allergens: identification by protein blotting and improved detection of specific IgE antibodies.
- PubMed: Cross-reactivity between the pollens of Cupressus sempervirens (common cypress) and of Cryptomeria japonica (Japanese cedar).
- PubMed: Increase of respiratory allergy to the pollens of cypresses in the south of France.
- PubMed: [Catechins and flavanolic oligomers from Cupressus sempervirens L. Comparative in vitro elastase inhibitory and in vivo angioprotective activity].
- PubMed: Enzymes of glyoxylate in conifers.
- PubMed: Hay fever due to the pollen of Cupressus sempervirens, Italian or Mediterranean cypress.