Chocolate Peppermint Essential Oil (Mentha piperita)
Chocolate Peppermint may also be referred to as Mentha Piperita V. Chocolat, Mentha x piperita f. citrata 'Chocolate'. It is typically processed using steam distilled as a method for extracting oil from the leaves and flowers/buds.
Chocolate Peppermint Essential Oil is occasionally available. Little is known about the therapeutic benefits of this variety. The aroma is clearly that of peppermint, but with a very subtle underlying hint of chocolate.
When sourcing this essential oil, I'd recommend ensuring that you are working with a very reputable supplier as it would be ever too easy for fly-by-night essential oil companies to simply impart peppermint essential oil with a hint of chocolate fragrance to mimic this uncommonly distilled variety of peppermint.
- Aroma Description: Chocolate Peppermint Essential Oil smells like traditional Peppermint Oil with a detectable chocolate-like note.
- Common Name(s): Mentha Piperita V. Chocolat, Mentha x piperita f. citrata 'Chocolate'
+ Expand- Collapse
Synonyms(s) for Mentha piperita: Mentha aquatica f. piperita, Mentha aquatica var. langii, Mentha aquatica var. piperita, Mentha balsamea, Mentha banatica, Mentha braousiana, Mentha canescens var. schultzii, Mentha concinna, Mentha crispula, Mentha durandoana, Mentha exaltata, Mentha fraseri, Mentha glabra, Mentha glabrata, Mentha glomerata var. piperita, Mentha hercynica, Mentha heuffelii, Mentha hircina, Mentha hircina, Mentha hirtescens, Mentha hortensis, Mentha hortensis var. citrata, Mentha hudsoniana, Mentha kahirina, Mentha langii, Mentha maximilianea var. schultzii, Mentha napolitana, Mentha nigricans, Mentha odora, Mentha officinalis, Mentha pimentum, Mentha piperita f. puberula, Mentha piperita f. rotundella, Mentha piperita var. balsamea, Mentha piperita var. beckeri, Mentha piperita var. braousiana, Mentha piperita var. calophylla, Mentha piperita var. calvifolia, Mentha piperita var. crispula, Mentha piperita var. durandoana, Mentha piperita var. globosiceps, Mentha piperita var. hercynica, Mentha piperita var. heuffelii, Mentha piperita var. hircina, Mentha piperita var. hispidula, Mentha piperita var. hudsoniana, Mentha piperita var. langii, Mentha piperita var. officinalis, Mentha piperita var. officinalis, Mentha piperita var. ouweneelii, Mentha piperita var. pennsylvanica, Mentha piperita var. pimentum, Mentha piperita var. piperoides, Mentha piperita var. poicila, Mentha piperita var. subhirsuta, Mentha piperita var. sylvestris, Mentha piperita var. vulgaris, Mentha piperoides, Mentha schultzii, Mentha suavis var. schultzii, Mentha tenuis
- Botanical Family: Lamiaceae
- Botanical Genus: Mentha
- Major Compounds: The major constituents found in Chocolate Peppermint Oil are likely similar to those of traditional Peppermint Essential Oil.
- Perfumery Note: Top
- Consistency: Thin
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Strong
- Color: Clear
- Indigenous Country: Top
- Processing Methods: Steam Distilled
- Part Typically Used: Leaves and Flowers/Buds
Benefits & Uses
May be benefitial for addressing the following ailments:
Other Uses for Chocolate Peppermint:
Cautions & Safety
Cautions when using Chocolate Peppermint:
The contraindications and safety precautions for Chocolate Peppermint Oil are likely similar to those of traditional Peppermint Essential Oil.
Safety Precautions for Chocolate Peppermint:
Do not take any oils internally and do not apply undiluted essential oils, absolutes, CO2s or other concentrated essences onto the skin without advanced essential oil knowledge or consultation from a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. If you are pregnant, epileptic, have liver damage, have cancer, or have any other medical problem, use oils only under the proper guidance of a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. Use extreme caution when using oils with children and be sure to first read the recommended dilution ratios for children. Consult a qualified aromatherapy practitioner before using oils with children, the elderly, if you have medical issues or are taking medications. For in-depth information on oil safety issues, read Essential Oil Safety by Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young.
Chocolate Peppermint Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: Empirical prediction and validation of antibacterial inhibitory effects of various plant essential oils on common pathogenic bacteria.
- PubMed: Peppermint Oil Promotes Hair Growth without Toxic Signs.
- PubMed: Effect of the ultrasound-assisted preliminary maceration on the efficiency of the essential oil distillation from selected herbal raw materials.
- PubMed: Antifungal activity of various essential oils against Rhizoctonia solani and Macrophomina phaseolina as major bean pathogens.
- PubMed: Chemical Composition and Anti-Inflammatory, Cytotoxic and Antioxidant Activities of Essential Oil from Leaves of Mentha piperita Grown in China.
- PubMed: In Vitro Susceptibility of Brazilian Pythium insidiosum Isolates to Essential Oils of Some Lamiaceae Family Species.
- PubMed: Peppermint (Mentha piperita) and albendazole against anisakiasis in an animal model.
- PubMed: Mentha piperita essential oil induces apoptosis in yeast associated with both cytosolic and mitochondrial ROS-mediated damage.
- PubMed: Genetic variability, character association, and path analysis for economic traits in menthofuran rich half-sib seed progeny of Mentha piperita L.
- PubMed: Effects of selected essential oils on the growth and production of ochratoxin A by Penicillium verrucosum.
- PubMed: Oviposition deterrent and ovicidal activities of seven herbal essential oils against female adults of housefly, Musca domestica L.
- PubMed: Does antioxidant properties of the main component of essential oil reflect its antioxidant properties? The comparison of antioxidant properties of essential oils and their main components.
- PubMed: Antibacterial activity against Clostridium genus and antiradical activity of the essential oils from different origin.
- PubMed: Insecticidal activity of plant essential oils against the vine mealybug, Planococcus ficus.
- PubMed: Clinical and mycological evaluation of an herbal antifungal formulation in canine Malassezia dermatitis.
- PubMed: Bioactivities of some essential oils against the camel nasal botfly, Cephalopina titillator.
- PubMed: Kinetic modeling of plant metabolism and its predictive power: peppermint essential oil biosynthesis as an example.
- PubMed: The effectiveness of peppermint and thyme essential oil mist in reducing bacterial contamination in broiler houses.
- PubMed: Menthol: a simple monoterpene with remarkable biological properties.
- PubMed: Volatile composition of peppermint (Mentha piperita L.) commercial teas through solid phase extraction.
- PubMed: Screening of some essential oils against Trichosporon species.
- PubMed: Increased seizure latency and decreased severity of pentylenetetrazol-induced seizures in mice after essential oil administration.
- PubMed: Efficacy of plant essential oils on postharvest control of rots caused by fungi on different stone fruits in vivo.
- PubMed: Study of the effect of mint oil on nausea and vomiting during pregnancy.
- PubMed: Chemical Composition, Antifungal and Antibiofilm Activities of the Essential Oil of Mentha piperita L.
- PubMed: Hybrid nanostructured coating for increased resistance of prosthetic devices to staphylococcal colonization.
- PubMed: Retention of aroma compounds from Mentha piperita essential oil by cyclodextrins and crosslinked cyclodextrin polymers.
- PubMed: Effect of inhaled essential oils on mental exhaustion and moderate burnout: a small pilot study.
- PubMed: In vitro antibacterial effects of five volatile oil extracts against intramacrophage Brucella abortus 544.
- PubMed: In vitro production of M. × piperita not containing pulegone and menthofuran.
- PubMed: Bioefficacy of essential oils of medicinal plants against housefly, Musca domestica L.
- PubMed: Comparative molecular docking analysis of essential oil constituents as elastase inhibitors.
- PubMed: Hydrodistillation and in situ microwave-generated hydrodistillation of fresh and dried mint leaves: a comparison study.
- PubMed: The effect of herbal, essential oil and chlorhexidine mouthrinse on de novo plaque formation.
- PubMed: Antimicrobial activity of commercially available essential oils against Streptococcus mutans.
- PubMed: Inhibitory effects of various essential oils and individual components against extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL) produced by Klebsiella pneumoniae and their chemical compositions.
- PubMed: Volatile compounds and sensory analysis of both harvests of double-cut Yakima peppermint (Mentha piperita L.).
- PubMed: Aromatherapy as treatment for postoperative nausea: a randomized trial.
- PubMed: Toxicity of essential and non-essential oils against the chewing louse, Bovicola (Werneckiella) ocellatus.
- PubMed: Immunocytochemical localization of short-chain family reductases involved in menthol biosynthesis in peppermint.
- PubMed: Evaluation of the effects of plant-derived essential oils on central nervous system function using discrete shuttle-type conditioned avoidance response in mice.
- PubMed: Acute and chronic pretreatment with essential oil of peppermint (Mentha × piperita L., Lamiaceae) influences drug effects.
- PubMed: Improving peppermint essential oil yield and composition by metabolic engineering.
- PubMed: Biological activity of selected Lamiaceae and Zingiberaceae plant essential oils against the dengue vector Aedes aegypti L. (Diptera: Culicidae).
- PubMed: Dose- and tissue-specific interaction of monoterpenes with the gibberellin-mediated release of potato tuber bud dormancy, sprout growth and induction of α-amylases and β-amylases.
- PubMed: Anthelmintic effect of Mentha spp. essential oils on Echinococcus granulosus protoscoleces and metacestodes.
- PubMed: Anthelmintic activity of Cymbopogon martinii, Cymbopogon schoenanthus and Mentha piperita essential oils evaluated in four different in vitro tests.
- PubMed: Bioefficacy of Mentha piperita essential oil against dengue fever mosquito Aedes aegypti L.
- PubMed: Oviposition-altering and ovicidal potentials of five essential oils against female adults of the dengue vector, Aedes aegypti L.
- PubMed: Mentha piperita (peppermint).
- PubMed: Mode of action of peppermint oil and (-)-menthol with respect to 5-HT3 receptor subtypes: binding studies, cation uptake by receptor channels and contraction of isolated rat ileum.
- PubMed: Liquid and vapour-phase antifungal activities of selected essential oils against Candida albicans: microscopic observations and chemical characterization of Cymbopogon citratus.
- PubMed: Composition and antimicrobial activities of Lippia multiflora Moldenke, Mentha x piperita L. and Ocimum basilicum L. essential oils and their major monoterpene alcohols alone and in combination.
- PubMed: Antibacterial effects of the essential oils of commonly consumed medicinal herbs using an in vitro model.
- PubMed: Yield, content, and composition of peppermint and spearmints as a function of harvesting time and drying.
- PubMed: Protective effects of bioactive phytochemicals from Mentha piperita with multiple health potentials.
- PubMed: Antimicrobial action of essential oil vapours and negative air ions against Pseudomonas fluorescens.
- PubMed: UV-B modulates the interplay between terpenoids and flavonoids in peppermint (Mentha x piperita L.).
- PubMed: Antispasmodic effect of Mentha piperita essential oil on tracheal smooth muscle of rats.
- PubMed: Ultraviolet-B and photosynthetically active radiation interactively affect yield and pattern of monoterpenes in leaves of peppermint (Mentha x piperita L.).
- PubMed: Composition of the essential oil of introduced mint forms of Mentha piperita and Mentha arvensis species.
- PubMed: Mathematical modeling-guided evaluation of biochemical, developmental, environmental, and genotypic determinants of essential oil composition and yield in peppermint leaves.
- PubMed: Comparative study of the chemical composition and antioxidant activity of six essential oils and their components.
- PubMed: Matrix solid-phase dispersion (MSPD) in chromatographic analysis of essential oils in herbs.
- PubMed: Chemical composition, olfactory evaluation and antioxidant effects of essential oil from Mentha x piperita.
- PubMed: Effect of synergist piperonyl butoxide (PBO) on the toxicity of some essential oils against mosquito larvae.
- PubMed: Supercritical fluid extraction--achiral liquid chromatography with circular dichroism detection for the determination of menthone enantiomers in natural peppermint oil samples.
- PubMed: The potential application of plant essential oils as natural preservatives against Escherichia coli O157:H7.
- PubMed: The antimicrobial activity of four commercial essential oils in combination with conventional antimicrobials.
- PubMed: Chemical composition of essential oils of Thymus and Mentha species and their antifungal activities.
- PubMed: Efficacy of five volatile oils and their mixtures against the mealybug, Icerya seychellarum seychellarum (Westw.) infesting Sago palm, Cycas revoluta in Alexandria, Egypt.
- PubMed: Effect of essential oils in control of plant diseases.
- PubMed: Comparative analysis of some active principles of herb plants by GC/MS.
- PubMed: Phytotherapeutic prevention of dental biofilm formation.
- PubMed: Herbal remedies for dyspepsia: peppermint seems effective.
- PubMed: Phytotherapeutic inhibition of supragingival dental plaque.
- PubMed: A systems biology approach identifies the biochemical mechanisms regulating monoterpenoid essential oil composition in peppermint.
- PubMed: Insecticidal activity of menthol derivatives against mosquitoes.
- PubMed: Evaluation of antibacterial activity of selected Iranian essential oils against Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli in nutrient broth medium.
- PubMed: Composition and antifungal activity of essential oils of Mentha piperita and Lavendula angustifolia on post-harvest phytopathogens.
- PubMed: Flavor retention of peppermint (Mentha piperita L.) essential oil spray-dried in modified starches during encapsulation and storage.
- PubMed: Reduction of mouth malodour and volatile sulphur compounds in intensive care patients using an essential oil mouthwash.
- PubMed: Use of a superabsorbent polymer for the preconcentration of volatile components from complex matrices.
- PubMed: [Use of essential oil of peppermint (Mentha piperita) in the complex treatment of patients with infiltrative pulmonary tuberculosis].
- PubMed: Chitosan beads loaded with essential oils in cosmetic formulations.
- PubMed: Biochemical activities of Iranian Mentha piperita L. and Myrtus communis L. essential oils.
- PubMed: A review of the bioactivity and potential health benefits of peppermint tea (Mentha piperita L.).
- PubMed: Use of OTC essential oils to clear plantar warts.
- PubMed: (-)-Menthol biosynthesis and molecular genetics.
- PubMed: Genetic engineering of peppermint for improved essential oil composition and yield.
- PubMed: Pharmacology and preclinical pharmacokinetics of peppermint oil.
- PubMed: Gastrointestinal clinical pharmacology of peppermint oil.
- PubMed: Peppermint oil in irritable bowel syndrome.
- PubMed: Effect of harvest time and drying method on biomass production, essential oil yield, and quality of peppermint (Mentha x piperita L.).
- PubMed: Monoterpene metabolism. Cloning, expression, and characterization of (-)-isopiperitenol/(-)-carveol dehydrogenase of peppermint and spearmint.
- PubMed: Monoterpene metabolism. Cloning, expression, and characterization of menthone reductases from peppermint.
- PubMed: Anticancer and radioprotective potentials of Mentha piperita.
- PubMed: Simultaneous determination of the inhibitory potency of herbal extracts on the activity of six major cytochrome P450 enzymes using liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry and automated online extraction.
- PubMed: Protection of swiss albino mice against whole-body gamma irradiation by Mentha piperita (Linn.).
- PubMed: Experimental design for the formulation and optimization of novel cross-linked oilispheres developed for in vitro site-specific release of Mentha piperita oil.
- PubMed: Cosuppression of limonene-3-hydroxylase in peppermint promotes accumulation of limonene in the essential oil.
- PubMed: Menthofuran regulates essential oil biosynthesis in peppermint by controlling a downstream monoterpene reductase.
- PubMed: Monoterpene double-bond reductases of the (-)-menthol biosynthetic pathway: isolation and characterization of cDNAs encoding (-)-isopiperitenone reductase and (+)-pulegone reductase of peppermint.
- PubMed: Virucidal effect of peppermint oil on the enveloped viruses herpes simplex virus type 1 and type 2 in vitro.
- PubMed: Lessons from peppers and peppermint: the molecular logic of thermosensation.
- PubMed: Antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of three Mentha species essential oils.
- PubMed: Antifungal activity of peppermint and sweet basil essential oils and their major aroma constituents on some plant pathogenic fungi from the vapor phase.
- PubMed: Activity of essential oils from Mediterranean Lamiaceae species against food spoilage yeasts.
- PubMed: Modulation of serum phosphatases activity in Swiss albino mice against gamma irradiation by Mentha piperita Linn.
- PubMed: [Efficiency of the use of peppermint (Mentha piperita L) essential oil inhalations in the combined multi-drug therapy for pulmonary tuberculosis].
- PubMed: [Quality evaluation of essential oils].
- PubMed: Final report on the safety assessment of Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf, and Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Water.
- PubMed: Effect of Mentha x piperita essential oil and monoterpenes on cucumber root membrane potential.
- PubMed: Isoprenoid biosynthesis. Metabolite profiling of peppermint oil gland secretory cells and application to herbicide target analysis.
- PubMed: Inhibition by the essential oils of peppermint and spearmint of the growth of pathogenic bacteria.
- PubMed: The influence of essential oils on human attention. I: alertness.
- PubMed: In vitro study on the transfer of volatile oil components.
- PubMed: Probing essential oil biosynthesis and secretion by functional evaluation of expressed sequence tags from mint glandular trichomes.
- PubMed: Factors affecting the release of flavor encapsulated in carbohydrate matrixes.
- PubMed: Dissipation of propiconazole and tebuconazole in peppermint crops (Mentha piperita (Labiatae)) and their residues in distilled oils.
- PubMed: Transformation of the limonene synthase gene into peppermint (Mentha piperita L.) and preliminary studies on the essential oil profiles of single transgenic plants.
- PubMed: Effect of planting time and density on yield and quality of peppermint (mentha piperita L.) under su-tropical condition.
- PubMed: Sex difference and testosterone modulation of pheromone-induced NeuronalFos in the Ferret's main olfactory bulb and hypothalamus.
- PubMed: Isolation and bacterial expression of a sesquiterpene synthase cDNA clone from peppermint (Mentha x piperita, L.) that produces the aphid alarm pheromone (E)-beta-farnesene.
- PubMed: Effects of essential oil from mint (Mentha piperita) on Salmonella enteritidis and Listeria monocytogenes in model food systems at 4 degrees and 10 degrees C.
- PubMed: The Filament Bundle of Mentha piperita.
- PubMed: Monoterpene biosynthesis: specificity of the hydroxylations of (-)-limonene by enzyme preparations from peppermint (Mentha piperita), spearmint (Mentha spicata), and perilla (Perilla frutescens) leaves.
- PubMed: Laboratory evaluation of essential oil of Mentha piperita Linn. against Trichophyton mentagrophytes.
- PubMed: The Influence of Boron Deficiency on Glandular Scale Development and Structure in Mentha piperita.
- PubMed: Demonstration that limonene is the first cyclic intermediate in the biosynthesis of oxygenated p-menthane monoterpenes in Mentha piperita and other Mentha species.
- PubMed: Demonstration of the Intercellular Compartmentation of l-Menthone Metabolism in Peppermint (Mentha piperita) Leaves.
- PubMed: Metabolism of Monoterpenes : EVIDENCE FOR COMPARTMENTATION OF l-MENTHONE METABOLISM IN PEPPERMINT (MENTHA PIPERITA) LEAVES.
- PubMed: Metabolism of Monoterpenes: Demonstration of (+)-Neomenthyl-beta-d-Glucoside as a Major Metabolite of (-)-Menthone in Peppermint (Mentha Piperita).
- PubMed: Metabolism of Monoterpenes: Acetylation of (-)-Menthol by a Soluble Enzyme Preparation from Peppermint (Mentha piperita) Leaves.
- PubMed: [Influence of the nutritient potassium and nitrogen on formation of volatile oil of Mentha piperita].
- PubMed: [Methods of testing for etheric oil in the cultivation of Mentha piperita].
- PubMed: [Gas chromatography study of volatile oils. II. The volatile oil of Mentha piperita L. during the plant's development].
- PubMed: [Studies on the daily rhythm of etheric oils. 1. Daily fluctu- ations of the content of etheric oil in Mentha piperita L].
- PubMed: [On the biosynthesis of various terpenes from the oil of Mentha piperita L].
- PubMed: [On the dynamics of the biosynthesis of various terpene contents from the oil of Mentha piperita L].
- PubMed: [Effect of shading on morphological features, yield and volatile oil content and reducing sugars of the peppermint plant (Mentha piperita L.)].
- PubMed: [THE BEHAVIOR OF THE ETHEREAL OIL OF MENTHA PIPERITA L. DURING STORAGE OF THE DRIED DRUG].
- PubMed: [Determination of the menthol content in peppermint oil in volume VI of the Pharmacopeia].
- PubMed: [Effect of various packing materials on the ethereal oil content of peppermint leaves].
- PubMed: The occurrence of menthofuran in oil of peppermint.
- PubMed: [Yield and composition of the volatile oil from peppermint grown in the Netherlands].
- PubMed: [Development of the glandular hairs and the production of essential oil in Mentha piperita L].
- PubMed: [Studies on the changes in the composition of ethereal oil of Mentha piperita and Anethum graveolens with special reference to the drying process].
- PubMed: [Quantitative variations of peppermint oil and of its component menthol in Mentha piperita L. and determination of ripeness of the plant].
- PubMed: [Methods for etheric oil content determination in withering plants].
- PubMed: [Studies with Mentha piperita L. (species Mitcham peppermints) on etheric oil content, yield, fertilization and transpiration].
- PubMed: Chromatographic analysis of Kennewick, Washington peppermint oil.
- PubMed: Occurrence of menthofuran in oil of peppermint (Mentha piperita vulgaris S.).