Atlas Cedarwood Essential Oil (Cedrus atlantica)
It is typically processed using steam distilled as a method for extracting oil from the wood.
I have sadly learned that Atlas Cedarwood trees are endangered. For informative purposes, I will continue to share the below Atlas Cedarwood Essential Oil profile information, but please be sure to take a close look at the Sustainability Concerns section below.
Cedarwood Essential Oil is said to be one of the first crude essential oils to be extracted, and it was one of the oils that the Egyptians used for spiritual embalming purposes.
Aromatically, I love the rich, woody aroma of Atlas Cedarwood Essential Oil. It is a base note that can help hold an otherwise flighty blend together well. Atlas Cedarwood Essential Oil is said to act as anaphrodisiac. It also complements masculine blends.
- Aroma Description: Atlas Cedarwood Essential Oil smells woody and sweet. It smells a bit sharper than Virginian Cedarwood Oil. The aroma is reminiscent of artificial mothballs.
Synonyms(s) for Cedrus atlantica: Abies atlantica, Cedrus africana, Cedrus libani subsp. atlantica, Cedrus libani var. atlantica, Cedrus libanitica subsp. atlantica, Pinus atlantica
- Botanical Family: Pinaceae
- Botanical Genus: Cedrus
- Chemical Family: Sesquiterpenes, Sesquiterpenols
- Major Compounds: B-Himachalene, a-Himachalene, (E)-a-Atlantone, Gamma-Himachalene, Deodarone, (E)-Gamma-Atlantone, Himachalol, Isocedranol
- Perfumery Note: Base
- Consistency: Medium and oily feeling
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Medium - Strong
- Color: Light Golden Yellow
- Indigenous Country: Morocco
- Cultivation: Wild Harvested
- Processing Methods: Steam Distilled
- Part Typically Used: Wood
- Shelf Life: 7-8 years
Benefits & Uses
Cautions & Safety
Cautions when using Atlas Cedarwood:
Tisserand and Young do not indicate any special precautions when using Atlas Cedarwood Oil. Reading Tisserand and Young's full profile is recommended. [Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young,Essential Oil Safety(Second Edition. United Kingdom: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier, 2014), 237-238.]
Safety Precautions for Atlas Cedarwood:
Do not take any oils internally and do not apply undiluted essential oils, absolutes, CO2s or other concentrated essences onto the skin without advanced essential oil knowledge or consultation from a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. If you are pregnant, epileptic, have liver damage, have cancer, or have any other medical problem, use oils only under the proper guidance of a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. Use extreme caution when using oils with children and be sure to first read the recommended dilution ratios for children. Consult a qualified aromatherapy practitioner before using oils with children, the elderly, if you have medical issues or are taking medications. For in-depth information on oil safety issues, read Essential Oil Safety by Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young.
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities
Energetics and Chakras Qualites of Atlas Cedarwood:
1st Chakra - Survival and Support Expansive Grounding Protective Purifying
Atlas Cedarwood Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: "Singing in the Tube"-audiovisual assay of plant oil repellent activity against mosquitoes (Culex pipiens).
- PubMed: Crystal structure of 1-isopropyl-4,7-dimethyl-3-nitro-naphthalene.
- PubMed: Crystal structure of (1S,3R,8R,9R,10S)-2,4,6-tris-(2,2-di-chloro-3,7,7,10-tetra-methyl-tri-cyclo-[220.127.116.11(1,3)]dodec-9-yl)cyclo-triboroxane.
- PubMed: Inhalation of Cedrus atlantica essential oil alleviates pain behavior through activation of descending pain modulation pathways in a mouse model of postoperative pain.
- PubMed: Vibrational microspectroscopy enables chemical characterization of single pollen grains as well as comparative analysis of plant species based on pollen ultrastructure.
- PubMed: [Diagnostic workup of fragrance allergy].
- PubMed: Crystal structure of (1S,3R,8R,9S,10R)-10-bromo-methyl-2,2-di-chloro-9,10-ep-oxy-3,7,7-tri-methyl-tri-cyclo-[18.104.22.168(1,3)]dodeca-ne.
- PubMed: Fungal Planet description sheets: 281-319.
- PubMed: Genomic exploration and molecular marker development in a large and complex conifer genome using RADseq and mRNAseq.
- PubMed: (1S,2R,3S,6S,7R)-3,7,11,11-Tetra-methyl-6,7-epoxybi-cyclo-[5.4.0]undecane-2-ol.
- PubMed: (1R,4R,6S,7R)-5,5-Di-bromo-1,4,8,8-tetra-methyl-tri-cyclo-[22.214.171.124(4,6)]dodecan-12-one.
- PubMed: 1-[(1S,6R,7S,9R)-8,8-Di-bromo-5,5,9-tri-methyl-tri-cyclo-[126.96.36.199(7,9)]decan-1-yl]ethanone.
- PubMed: WGDB: Wood Gene Database with search interface.
- PubMed: (1S,3R,8R,10R)-2,2-Di-bromo-3,7,7,10-tetra-methyl-tri-cyclo-[188.8.131.52(1,3)]dodecan-9-one.
- PubMed: (1R,4R,6S,7S)-5,5-Di-chloro-1,4,8,8-tetra-methyl-tri-cyclo-[5.4.1(1,7).0(4,6)]dodecan-12-one.
- PubMed: (1S,3S,8R,10R,11R)-3,7,7,10-Tetra-methyl-tri-cyclo-[184.108.40.206(1,3)]dodecan-11-ol.
- PubMed: (1S,3R,8R,11S)-11-Bromo-10-bromo-methyl-2,2-di-chloro-3,7,7-tri-methyl-tricyclo-[220.127.116.11(1,3)]dodec-9-ene.
- PubMed: (1S,3S,8R,9S,11R)-10,10-Di-bromo-3,7,7,11-tetra-methyl-tetra-cyclo-[18.104.22.168(1,3).0(9,11)]trideca-ne.
- PubMed: (1S,2R,7R,8S,10R)-9,9-Di-bromo-2,6,6,10-tetra-methyl-1α,2α-ep-oxy-tri-cyclo-[22.214.171.124(8,10)]dodeca-ne.
- PubMed: Inhibitory effect of essential oils against Trichosporon ovoides causing Piedra Hair Infection.
- PubMed: (1S,3S,8R,9S,11R)-10,10-Di-chloro-3,7,7,11-tetra-methyl-tetra-cyclo[126.96.36.199(1,3).0(9,11)]trideca-ne.
- PubMed: (1S,3R,8R)-2,2-Di-chloro-3,7,7,10-tetra-methyl-tri-cyclo-[188.8.131.52(1,3)]dodec-9-en-11-one.
- PubMed: (1S,3R,8R,9S,11R)-10,10-Di-bromo-2,2-di-chloro-3,7,7,11-tetra-methyl-tetra-cyclo-[184.108.40.206(1,3).0(9,11)]trideca-ne.
- PubMed: (1S,3R,8R,9S,11R)-2,2-Di-bromo-10,10-di-chloro-3,7,7,11-tetra-methyl-tetra-cyclo-[220.127.116.11(1,3).0(9,11)]trideca-ne.
- PubMed: 2,2-Dichloro-3,7,7,11-tetra-methyl-10-aza-tetra-cyclo-[18.104.22.168(1,3).0(9,11)]trideca-ne.
- PubMed: (1S,3R,8R,9R,10S)-2,2-Dibromo-3,7,7,10-tetra-methyl-9β,10β-ep-oxy-3,7,7,10-tetra-methyl-tricyclo-[22.214.171.124(1,3)]dodeca-ne.
- PubMed: (1S,3R,8R)-2,2-Dibromo-10-bromo-methyl-3,7,7-trimethyl-tricyclo-[126.96.36.199(1,3)]dodec-9-ene.
- PubMed: (1S,3R,8R)-2,2-Dibromo-3,7,7,10-tetra-methyltricyclo-[188.8.131.52(1,3)]dodec-9-en-11-one.
- PubMed: (1S,3R,8R,9S,11R)-2,2,10,10-Tetra-chloro-3,7,7,11-tetra-methyl-tetra-cyclo-[184.108.40.206(1,3).0(9,11)]trideca-ne.
- PubMed: (1S,3R,8R)-2,2-Dibromo-3,7,7,10-tetra-methyl-tricyclo-[220.127.116.11(1,3)]dodec-9-ene.
- PubMed: 1-Isopropyl-4,7-dimethyl-2,8-dinitro-naphthalene.
- PubMed: In vitro evaluation of the anti-proliferative activities of the wood essential oils of three Cedrus species against K562 human chronic myelogenous leukaemia cells.
- PubMed: (1S,3R,8R)-9-(1-Amino-ethyl-idene)-2,2-dichloro-3,7,7-trimethyl-tricyclo-[18.104.22.168]undecan-10-one.
- PubMed: (1S,3R,8R,11S)-2,2-Dichloro-3,7,7,10-tetra-methyl-tricyclo-[22.214.171.124]dodec-9-en-11-ol.
- PubMed: Identification and quantitative determination of lignans in Cedrus atlantica resins using 13C NMR spectroscopy.
- PubMed: Chemical variability of the wood essential oil of Cedrus atlantica Manetti from Corsica.
- PubMed: Male Phyllotreta striolata (F.) produce an aggregation pheromone: identification of male-specific compounds and interaction with host plant volatiles.
- PubMed: (1S,3R,8S,9R,10S)-2,2-Dichloro-3,7,7,10-tetra-methyl-9,10-ep-oxy-tricyclo-[126.96.36.199]dodeca-ne.
- PubMed: (1S,2R,8R)-2,2-Dichloro-3,7,7,10-tetra-methyltricyclo-[188.8.131.52]dodec-10-en-9-one.
- PubMed: (1S,2S,4R)-3,3-Dichloro-4,8,12,12-tetra-methyl-tricyclo-[184.108.40.206]dodeca-6,8-diene.
- PubMed: 2α,8α-Diacet-oxy-cis-himachalane.
- PubMed: 2-Acetyl-3,5,5,9-tetra-methyl-6,7,8,9-tetra-hydro-5H-benzocyclo-hepten-7-one.
- PubMed: N-[4-Acetyl-5-(2-methylprop-1-enyl)-5-(2-p-tolyl-prop-yl)-4,5-dihydro-1,3,4-thia-diazol-2-yl]acetamide.
- PubMed: N-[4-Acetyl-5-methyl-5-(2-p-tolyl-prop-yl)-4,5-dihydro-1,3,4-thia-diazol-2-yl]acetamide.
- PubMed: Phylogeography of North African Atlas cedar (Cedrus atlantica, Pinaceae): Combined molecular and fossil data reveal a complex Quaternary history.
- PubMed: Modelling the impact of an invasive insect via reaction-diffusion.
- PubMed: N-[4-Acetyl-5-isobutyl-5-(2-p-tolyl-prop-yl)-4,5-dihydro-1,3,4-thia-diazol-2-yl]acetamide ethyl acetate hemisolvate.
- PubMed: (±)-N-[4-Acetyl-5-methyl-5-(4-methyl-cyclo-hex-3-en-yl)-4,5-dihydro-1,3,4-thia-diazol-2-yl]acetamide.
- PubMed: Effect of polystimulin growth regulators and scion clones on graft success and subsequent growth in Atlantic cedar (Cedrus atlantica Manetti).
- PubMed: Growth and plant diversity in a man-made thinned Cedrus atlantica stand.
- PubMed: Local NO3- or NH4+ supply modifies the root system architecture of Cedrus atlantica seedlings grown in a split-root device.
- PubMed: Genetic diversity and population structure in natural populations of Moroccan Atlas cedar (Cedrus atlantica; Pinaceae) determined with cpSSR markers.
- PubMed: In vitro storage of cedar shoot cultures under minimal growth conditions.
- PubMed: Antibacterial diterpenoids from Cedrus atlantica.
- PubMed: Drought effects on hydraulic conductivity and xylem vulnerability to embolism in diverse species and provenances of Mediterranean cedars.
- PubMed: Genetic diversity and structure of natural and managed populations of Cedrus atlantica (Pinaceae) assessed using random amplified polymorphic DNA.
- PubMed: Factors influencing axillary shoot proliferation and adventitious budding in cedar.
- PubMed: Abietane diterpenes from the cones of Cedrus atlantica.
- PubMed: Impact of founder population, drift and selection on the genetic diversity of a recently translocated tree population.
- PubMed: [Anti-Candida albicans activity of essential oils including Lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) oil and its component, citral].
- PubMed: Gene flow among different taxonomic units: evidence from nuclear and cytoplasmic markers in Cedrus plantation forests.
- PubMed: Anti-Aspergillus activities of plant essential oils and their combination effects with ketoconazole or amphotericin B.
- PubMed: Evidence of variation in segregation patterns within a Cedrus population.
- PubMed: Root system architecture and receptivity to mycorrhizal infection in seedlings of Cedrus atlantica as affected by nitrogen source and concentration.
- PubMed: Electrophoretic analysis of seed storage proteins from gymnosperms.
- PubMed: Vulnerability of several conifers to air embolism.