Artemesia (Titepati, Mugwort, or Wormwood) Essential Oil (Artemisia vulgaris)
Artemesia may also be referred to as Mugwort, Common Wormwood, Felon Herb, Chrysanthemum Weed, Wild Wormwood, Artemisia vulgaris, Artemesia Vulgaris Linn. It is typically processed in Egypt using steam or hydro distillation as a method for extracting oil from the flowering plant/herb.
Traditionally, due to its soothing and relaxing effects, Artemesia has been used to calm hysteric attacks in patients when they occur. Some cases of women with blocked menstruation have had success restarting their cycles using this essential oil. Additionally, it can aid in the relief of fatigue, headaches, abdominal pain, and nausea. Artemesia can help to inhibit microbial infections which cause digestive disorders, and has been used to stave off roundworms and tapeworms. Artemesia also stimulates the flow of digestive juices to facilitate digestion. As a diuretic, Artemesia essential oil may increase both the frequency and quantity of urination, reducing the buildup of toxins in the body.
- Aroma Description:
- Common Name(s): Mugwort, Common Wormwood, Felon Herb, Chrysanthemum Weed, Wild Wormwood, Artemisia vulgaris, Artemesia Vulgaris Linn
- Botanical Family: Asteraceae
- Botanical Genus: Artemisia
- Chemical Family: Ketones, Sesquiterpenes
- Perfumery Note: Middle
- Consistency: Slightly oily, transparent, very mobile liquid
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Medium
- Color: Colorless to pale yellow amber clear liquid
- Countries of Production: Egypt
- Indigenous Country: Nepal
- Cultivation: Wild Harvested
- Processing Methods: Steam or Hydro Distillation
- Part Typically Used: Flowering plant/herb
- Storage: Store in cool, dry place in tightly sealed containers, protected from heat and light
- Shelf Life: 5 years
- Ethically and sustainably sourced
- Wild Harvested
- Not recommended or safe if pregnant or nursing
- Not recommend or safe for children
Benefits & Uses
May be benefitial for addressing the following ailments:
Anxiety Depression Menstruation : Cramp ( Dysmenorrhea )
Therapeutic Benefits of Artemesia:
Anti-depressant Anti-inflammatory Anti-septic Anti-spasmodic Diuretic Emmenagogue Sedative Stimulant Vermifuge
Other Uses for Artemesia:
Cedarwood, Atlas Cedarwood, Virginian Clary Sage Galbanum Juniper Berry Oakmoss Patchouli Pine Rosemary
Cautions & Safety
Cautions when using Artemesia:
Safety Precautions for Artemesia:
Contraindications of Artemesia:
Do not use with small children, elders, epileptics, pregnant and/or nursing women. Please see further cautions in Safety Considerations below.
Botanical Description of Artemesia:
There are around 300 species in the Artemisia genus growing wild around northern temperate regions, South Africa and South America.
History of Artemesia:
Many Artemisia species have been used in folk medicine for intestinal conditions, as topical antiseptics and for diabetes.
Traditional Folklore of Artemesia:
Mugwort has a mixed reputation among different cultures; for instance In China its medicinal properties have long been used to improve ailments, while in Europe it has been used in witchcraft and black magic.
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities
Energetics and Chakras Qualites of Artemesia:
1st Chakra - Survival and Support 3rd Chakra - Personal Power Protective
Artemesia Articles or Publications:
- PubMed: Co-Sensitization to Silkworm Moth (Bombyx mori) and 9 Inhalant Allergens among Allergic Patients in Guangzhou, Southern China.
- PubMed: Effectiveness of Stimulation of Acupoint KI 1 by Artemisia vulgaris (Moxa) for the Treatment of Essential Hypertension: A Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trials.
- PubMed: Antifertility activity of Artemisia vulgaris leaves on female Wistar rats.
- PubMed: [Prevalence of atopic conditions in patients with occupational contact allergic dermatitis: comparison between diagnostic tool].
- PubMed: Exploration and classification of chromatographic fingerprints as additional tool for identification and quality control of several Artemisia species.
- PubMed: Artemisia absinthium and Artemisia vulgaris: a comparative study of infusion polysaccharides.
- PubMed: Antimalarial properties of Artemisia vulgaris L. ethanolic leaf extract in a Plasmodium berghei murine malaria model.
- PubMed: Chemical characterization by GC-MS and in vitro activity against Candida albicans of volatile fractions prepared from Artemisia dracunculus, Artemisia abrotanum, Artemisia absinthium and Artemisia vulgaris.
- PubMed: Minimum prick test panel for adult patients with asthma and rhinitis in Ankara, Turkey.
- PubMed: Medicinal plants for women's healthcare in southeast Asia: a meta-analysis of their traditional use, chemical constituents, and pharmacology.
- PubMed: Antimicrobial and Herbal Drug Resistance in Enteric Bacteria Isolated from Faecal Droppings of Common House Lizard/Gecko (Hemidactylus frenatus).
- PubMed: From soil to leaves--aluminum fractionation by single step extraction procedures in polluted and protected areas.
- PubMed: Prevalence of sensitization to weed pollens of Humulus scandens, Artemisia vulgaris, and Ambrosia artemisiifolia in northern China.
- PubMed: Identification of plant extracts sensitizing breast cancer cells to TRAIL.
- PubMed: The skin prick test - European standards.
- PubMed: Larvicidal activity against Aedes aegypti of essential oils from northeast Brazil.
- PubMed: Combination of multiple resistance traits from wild relative species in Chrysanthemum via trigeneric hybridization.
- PubMed: Fumigant toxicity of plant essential oils against Camptomyia corticalis (Diptera: Cecidomyiidae).
- PubMed: Plant food allergy in patients with pollinosis from the Mediterranean area.
- PubMed: Composition of the essential oil of wild growing Artemisia vulgaris from Erie, Pennsylvania.
- PubMed: A geochemical study of toxic metal translocation in an urban brownfield wetland.
- PubMed: Structural glycobiology of the major allergen of Artemisia vulgaris pollen, Art v 1: O-glycosylation influence on the protein dynamics and allergenicity.
- PubMed: Expression of the major mugwort pollen allergen Art v 1 in tobacco plants and cell cultures: problems and perspectives for allergen production in plants.
- PubMed: Sensitization prevalence, antibody cross-reactivity and immunogenic peptide profile of Api g 2, the non-specific lipid transfer protein 1 of celery.
- PubMed: Influence of degree of specific allergic sensitivity on severity of rhinitis and asthma in Chinese allergic patients.
- PubMed: Actions of Artemisia vulgaris extracts and isolated sesquiterpene lactones against receptors mediating contraction of guinea pig ileum and trachea.
- PubMed: The specific IgE reactivity pattern of weed pollen-induced allergic rhinitis patients.
- PubMed: Platanus pollen allergen, Pla a 1: quantification in the atmosphere and influence on a sensitizing population.
- PubMed: Moxibustion for hypertension: a systematic review.
- PubMed: A new allergen from ragweed (Ambrosia artemisiifolia) with homology to art v 1 from mugwort.
- PubMed: Bee pollen: a dangerous food for allergic children. Identification of responsible allergens.
- PubMed: Moxibustion for cancer care: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- PubMed: Antibacterial activity of some Artemisia species extract.
- PubMed: Allergic contact dermatitis associated with mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris).
- PubMed: Anaphylaxis to wheat flour-derived foodstuffs and the lipid transfer protein syndrome: a potential role of wheat lipid transfer protein Tri a 14.
- PubMed: Production and characterisation of the intergeneric hybrids between Dendranthema morifolium and Artemisia vulgaris exhibiting enhanced resistance to chrysanthemum aphid (Macrosiphoniella sanbourni).
- PubMed: Anthelmintic effects of phytogenic feed additives in Ascaris suum inoculated pigs.
- PubMed: In vitro cross-reactivity between tomato and other plant allergens.
- PubMed: Anaphylaxis to mango fruit and crossreactivity with Artemisia vulgaris pollen.
- PubMed: Factors affecting the success of moxibustion in the management of a breech presentation as a preliminary treatment to external cephalic version.
- PubMed: Antispasmodic and bronchodilator activities of Artemisia vulgaris are mediated through dual blockade of muscarinic receptors and calcium influx.
- PubMed: Sequence-specific 1H, 15N and 13C resonance assignments of Art v 1: a proline-rich allergen of Artemisia vulgaris pollen.
- PubMed: Isoform identification and characterization of Art v 3, the lipid-transfer protein of mugwort pollen.
- PubMed: Does the burning of moxa (Artemisia vulgaris) in traditional Chinese medicine constitute a health hazard?
- PubMed: Role of the polypeptide backbone and post-translational modifications in cross-reactivity of Art v 1, the major mugwort pollen allergen.
- PubMed: Inhibitory effect of essential oils obtained from plants grown in Colombia on yellow fever virus replication in vitro.
- PubMed: A multicentre study assessing the prevalence of sensitizations in patients with asthma and/or rhinitis in China.
- PubMed: Sensitisation to Ambrosia in Switzerland: a public health threat on the wait.
- PubMed: Clinical, anamnestic and serological features of peach allergy in portugal.
- PubMed: Characterization of antioxidant activity of extract from Artemisia vulgaris.
- PubMed: Array-based profiling of ragweed and mugwort pollen allergens.
- PubMed: Antinociceptive peripheral effect of Achillea millefolium L. and Artemisia vulgaris L.: both plants known popularly by brand names of analgesic drugs.
- PubMed: Medicinal plant treatments for fleas and ear problems of cats and dogs in British Columbia, Canada.
- PubMed: Anaphylaxis to pine nut: cross-reactivity to Artemisia vulgaris?
- PubMed: A new sesquiterpene from Artemisia vulgaris.
- PubMed: Mass propagation and essential oil analysis of Artemisia vulgaris.
- PubMed: Comparison of the effects of Artemisia vulgaris and Artemisia absinthium growing in western Anatolia against trichinellosis (Trichinella spiralis) in rats.
- PubMed: Revealing historic invasion patterns and potential invasion sites for two non-native plant species.
- PubMed: Sensitization and allergy to Cannabis sativa leaves in a population of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum)-sensitized patients.
- PubMed: Cross-allergenicity of pollens from the Compositae family: Artemisia vulgaris, Dendranthema grandiflorum, and Taraxacum officinale.
- PubMed: Molecular and functional analysis of the antigen receptor of Art v 1-specific helper T lymphocytes.
- PubMed: Sensitization to tomato peel and pulp extracts in the Mediterranean Coast of Spain: prevalence and co-sensitization with aeroallergens.
- PubMed: Prevalence of IgE-binding to Art v 1, Art v 4 and Amb a 1 in mugwort-allergic patients.
- PubMed: Sympatric host races of the European corn borer: adaptation to host plants and hybrid performance.
- PubMed: Ethnoveterinary medicines used to treat endoparasites and stomach problems in pigs and pets in British Columbia, Canada.
- PubMed: Cloning, expression and characterization of mugwort pollen allergen Art v 2, a pathogenesis-related protein from family group 1.
- PubMed: Metals and arsenic in soils and corresponding vegetation at Central Elbe river floodplains (Germany).
- PubMed: Differential allergen sensitization patterns in chestnut allergy with or without associated latex-fruit syndrome.
- PubMed: Potassium excretion in healthy Japanese women was increased by a dietary intervention utilizing home-parcel delivery of Okinawan vegetables.
- PubMed: Chemical composition of the essential oils of serbian wild-growing Artemisia absinthium and Artemisia vulgaris.
- PubMed: Plant bioassays for an in situ monitoring of air near an industrial area and a municipal solid waste: Zilina (Slovakia).
- PubMed: [Effect of the physiological-biochemical characteristics variability on a radiosensitiveness of the Atriplex patula L. and Artemisia vulgaris L. ecoforms].
- PubMed: [Occupational allergy to mugwort].
- PubMed: Comparative anti-hyperglycemic potentials of medicinal plants.
- PubMed: [Ineffective change of antimalaria prophylaxis to Artemisia vulgaris in a group travelling to West Africa].
- PubMed: Aeroallergens sensitization in an allergic paediatric population of Cova da Beira, Portugal.
- PubMed: [The frequency of pollen allergy at the population of Sarajevo region during the 2002 year].
- PubMed: [Sensitization to Castanea sativa pollen and pollinosis in northern Extremadura (Spain)].
- PubMed: A randomised controlled trial of moxibustion for breech presentation.
- PubMed: A pilot study of feasibility of ultra-rush (20-25 minutes) sublingual-swallow immunotherapy in 679 patients (699 sessions) with allergic rhinitis and/or asthma.
- PubMed: Nitrogen supply affects arbuscular mycorrhizal colonization of Artemisia vulgaris in a phosphate-polluted field site.
- PubMed: Isolation and characterization of allelopathic volatiles from mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris).
- PubMed: Hepatoprotective activity of aqueous-methanol extract of Artemisia vulgaris.
- PubMed: Food hypersensitivity in patients with seasonal rhinitis in Ankara.
- PubMed: Nondiffusional release of allergens from pollen grains of Artemisia vulgaris and Lilium longiflorum depends mainly on the type of the allergen.
- PubMed: Carabid larvae as predators of weed seeds: granivory in larvae of Amara eurynota (Coleoptera: Carabidae).
- PubMed: Effect of moxibustion at acupoints Ren-12 (Zhongwan), St-25 (Tianshu), and St-36 (Zuzanli) in the prevention of gastric lesions induced by indomethacin in Wistar rats.
- PubMed: Antimutagenicity of Japanese traditional herbs, gennoshoko, yomogi, senburi and iwa-tobacco.
- PubMed: The antioxidative activity of traditional Japanese herbs.
- PubMed: Two novel types of O-glycans on the mugwort pollen allergen Art v 1 and their role in antibody binding.
- PubMed: Genetic isolation between two sympatric host plant races of the European corn borer, Ostrinia nubilalis Hubner. II: assortative mating and host-plant preferences for oviposition.
- PubMed: Prevalence of sensitization to Artemisia allergens Art v 1, Art v 3 and Art v 60 kDa. Cross-reactivity among Art v 3 and other relevant lipid-transfer protein allergens.
- PubMed: Xanthine oxidase inhibitory activity of Vietnamese medicinal plants.
- PubMed: Monoclonal antibody-based ELISA to quantify the major allergen of Artemisia vulgaris pollen, Art v 1.
- PubMed: Hypersensitivity to pollen allergens on the Adriatic coast.
- PubMed: Host-plant specialization in pheromone strains of the European corn borer Ostrinia nubilalis in France.
- PubMed: Ability of different biomaterials to enantioselectively catalyze oxidation and reduction reactions.
- PubMed: Effect of Artemisia vulgaris Rhizome Extracts on Hatching, Mortality, and Plant Infectivity of Meloidogyne megadora.
- PubMed: HLA class II genotypic frequencies in atopic asthma: association of DRB1*01-DQB1*0501 genotype with Artemisia vulgaris allergic asthma.
- PubMed: Atopy and risk factors for latex sensitization in a selected population.
- PubMed: [Hydroxycinnamic acid levels of various batches from mugwort flowering tops].
- PubMed: Surveys of microfungi in a former industrial area in Duisburg-Nord.
- PubMed: Genetic isolation between two sympatric host-plant races of the European corn borer, Ostrinia nubilalis Hübner. I. Sex pheromone, moth emergence timing, and parasitism.
- PubMed: Host-plant-associated genetic differentiation in Northern French populations of the European corn borer.
- PubMed: The T cell response to Art v 1, the major mugwort pollen allergen, is dominated by one epitope.
- PubMed: The influence of a residual group in low-molecular-weight allergoids of Artemisia vulgaris pollen on their allergenicity, IgE- and IgG-binding properties.
- PubMed: Clinical characteristics of patients with mustard hypersensitivity.
- PubMed: Hypersensitivity to mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris) in patients with peach allergy is due to a common lipid transfer protein allergen and is often without clinical expression.
- PubMed: Characterization of a coryneform isolate from fasciated mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris).
- PubMed: Moxibustion in breech version--a descriptive review.
- PubMed: Clinical cross-reactivity between Artemisia vulgaris and Matricaria chamomilla (chamomile).
- PubMed: Major dicaffeoylquinic acids from Artemisia vulgaris.
- PubMed: Phytochemical analysis and hemodynamic actions of Artemisia vulgaris L.
- PubMed: In vivo microvascular actions of Artemisia vulgaris L. in a model of ischemia-reperfusion injury in the rat intestinal mesentery.
- PubMed: The type of sensitization to pollens in allergic patients in Eskisehir (Anatolia), Turkey.
- PubMed: The cyanogenic glucoside, prunasin (D-mandelonitrile-beta-D-glucoside), is a novel inhibitor of DNA polymerase beta.
- PubMed: [Antigen specific immunoglobulin E to grass and weed pollens in the plasma of patients with seasonal allergic rhinitis].
- PubMed: Tobacco allergy: demonstration of cross-reactivity with other members of Solanaceae family and mugwort pollen.
- PubMed: Pollen calendar of the city of Salamanca (Spain). Aeropalynological analysis for 1981-1982 and 1991-1992.
- PubMed: Moxibustion for correction of breech presentation: a randomized controlled trial.
- PubMed: Study of a case of hypersensitivity to lettuce (Lactuca sativa).
- PubMed: Prevalence of atopy in students from Málaga, Spain.
- PubMed: IgE crossreactivity between mugwort pollen (Artemisia vulgaris) and hazelnut (Abellana nux) in sera from patients with sensitivity to both extracts.
- PubMed: Mercurialis annua: characterization of main allergens and cross-reactivity with other species.
- PubMed: Allergy to foods in patients monosensitized to Artemisia pollen.
- PubMed: Inhalative occupational and ingestive immediate-type allergy caused by chicory (Cichorium intybus).
- PubMed: Anaphylaxis induced by ingestion of a pollen compound.
- PubMed: Sensitization to neumoallergens influence in mothers of asthmatic children.
- PubMed: Multicentre evaluation of Capture Assay Radim Liquid Allergen for measurement of specific IgE antibodies.
- PubMed: [Phytoperfusion of the bladder after adenomectomy].
- PubMed: Survey of the allergic status of patients with bronchial asthma in Turkey: a multicenter study.
- PubMed: A double-blind, randomized study investigating the efficacy and specificity of immunotherapy with Artemisia vulgaris or Phleum pratense/betula verrucosa.
- PubMed: Experimental studies on artemisia vulgaris - a possible antifertility drug.
- PubMed: Comparison of skin-prick test assay and reverse enzyme immunoassay competition (REINA-C) for biological activity of allergens.
- PubMed: Evaluation of the overall degree of sensitization to airborne allergens by a single serologic test: implications for epidemiologic studies of allergy.
- PubMed: [Comparative study between 10 and 20 mg of cetirizine in the symptomatic treatment of seasonal allergic rhinoconjunctivitis].
- PubMed: Immunoelectron-microscopic localization of IgE binding site of mugwort pollen.
- PubMed: Does cutting of mugwort stands affect airborne pollen concentrations?
- PubMed: Profilins constitute a novel family of functional plant pan-allergens.
- PubMed: Identification and characterization of important allergens from mugwort pollen by IEF, SDS-PAGE and immunoblotting.
- PubMed: Occupational wood-dust sensitivity from Euonymus europaeus (spindle tree) and investigation of cross reactivity between E.e. wood and Artemisia vulgaris pollen (mugwort).
- PubMed: Structural analysis of the glycoprotein allergen Art v II from the pollen of mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris L.).
- PubMed: Purification of the glycoprotein allergen Ag7 from mugwort pollen by concanavalin A affinity chromatography.
- PubMed: [Sensitivity to mugwort pollen allergens (Artemisia vulgaris)].
- PubMed: Isolation and characterization of a glycoprotein allergen, Art v II, from pollen of mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris L.).
- PubMed: Allergic conjunctivitis to chamomile tea.
- PubMed: Purification of Art v I, a relevant allergen of Artemisia vulgaris pollen.
- PubMed: Allergy to Artemisia vulgaris in the region of Warsaw.
- PubMed: Screening of Taiwanese crude drugs for antibacterial activity against Streptococcus mutans.
- PubMed: Anaphylactic reaction after the ingestion of chamomile tea: a study of cross-reactivity with other composite pollens.
- PubMed: Allergenic pollens in the southern Mediterranean area.
- PubMed: Allergen-induced leukotriene production by nasal mucosa and peripheral blood leukocytes.
- PubMed: [Allergen analysis of mugwort pollen (Artemisia vulgaris) using crossed radioimmunoelectrophoresis and radioallergosorbent test inhibition].
- PubMed: Allergen-specific leukocyte adherence inhibition (LAI) assay: sensitivity, specificity and mechanism.
- PubMed: [Biochemical study of pollens of the genus Artemisia].
- PubMed: [Pollen counts (from Ambrosia and Artemisia) in Lyon-Bron from 1982 to 1985].
- PubMed: [Botany of Artemisia].
- PubMed: Allergens in pollen from mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris L.). II. Characterization of a crude and a partly purified extract of mugwort pollen with particular emphasis on the glycoprotein allergen Ag7.
- PubMed: [Immediate hypersensitivity to fruits and vegetables and pollenosis].
- PubMed: Immunochemical and biological characterization of a mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris) pollen extract.
- PubMed: The use of a reference allergenic extract in the evaluation of allergen products.
- PubMed: Allergens in pollen from mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris L.). I. Partial characterization of allergen preparations from mugwort pollen with emphasis on the carbohydrate moiety.
- PubMed: [The mugwort: Artemisia vulgaris L. and Artemisia verlotiorum Lamotte].
- PubMed: On the composition of some oils from Artemisia vulgaris.
- PubMed: [Pollinosis of "Yomogi" (Artemisia vulgaris L. var. vulgatissima Bess) in nasal allergy. 1].
- PubMed: [Chromatographic analysis of oils from Artemisia vulgaris L. obtained in different seasons].
- PubMed: [Studies of the oils of Artemisia vulgaris L. obtained in different seasons].
- PubMed: A preliminary pharmacological screening of Artemisia vulgaris Linn.
- PubMed: [Artemisia vulgaris L., the mugwort].